PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have often wondered why the Turkish carvers don't do the traditional 'clay pipe' style of meerschaum. I saw one done by a Turkish carver and the foot was at the front of the bowl and looked very strange. There plenty of pictures on the various threads both from myself and other aficionados of this pipe style. If they made them I would buy them as it would save me carting a 19th century pipe around. Any thoughts people?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You would think that technology has improved since the 1890's - the stem would have to be 30% thicker than an original but a very interesting point.

philm68

Lurker
Apr 22, 2014
They have some meerschaum pipes in traditional styles. You just have to look for them. My father in law has a mini billiard made out of meerschaum. The bowl is only about 1/2 inch deep. The one in my avatar is also semi traditional.

philm68

Lurker
Apr 22, 2014
It was an old man in turkey from back in the 90s. It was bought from a street vendor and smokes like a champ.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I like that idea. A meer would make a nice clay pipe replica.
I think many meer carvers are missing a huge market by not appealing to western tastes more often. I generally prefer briars, but I like a meer now and then however I still prefer a traditional billiard without ornate carvings. Some makers do these styles, but not as often as I think they should.
If a carver put out traditional bulldogs, billiards, etc (esp with a silver band), I think they'd see their sales go way up.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I was thinking something like this style. I use these as part of my rotation and these form part of my working at the office pipes!
group_01_zps5b6cdd84.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
On a clay pipe it was designed so you could hold it without burning your fingers. Here its a copy of a clay and a way of holding it so you you don't get finger prints on anything. If the Turkish carvers would make these with out a silly ornate stem, in a case and in essence a clone of one of these styles of pipe I own I would certainly purchase a couple at a minimum and I am sure others here on the forum would buy them too. I would even lend one to make sure it was a good sound copy!

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Condorlover1, so all those pipes in the picture are clays? I didn't realize clays colored like meers do.
My mistake, I see from some of Condor's other posts that they are, in fact, meers. Carry on, nothing to see here!

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I am sure others here on the forum would buy them too.
I definitely would. I've been looking at meerschaums for a possible purchase for a little while now, but am not into the figurals at all. If you look at the estate meerschaums on SPC, it's all "bearded man with hat." Not too keen on smoking out of anyone's head, really.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I am sure others here on the forum would buy them too.
I'm in for a couple if we could find someone to make them at an affordable price. MeerschaumStore.com might be a thought. They made the Falcon bowls! You being the expert Simon, would have to provide the desired dimensions( Just a Thought)...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I would happily lend them one of my pipes just make sure the bowl and stem were the right thinkness just to accomadate the community

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Hi All,
And thank you weezell to warning me about this topic.
If i can get the dimensions in details , i would like to help you.maybe we can create a pipe with PM logo :)

Bahadir

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have just PM'd Meerqueen and offered to lend him one of mine as an example providing it is returned at some time in the future. I have several beaten up examples with loose fitting amber stems that would be perfect for copying and I might get my 'pipe case' issue solved at the same time!

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm in for a PM meer, as well. I've gotten very good smokes from good meers and while I have an eagle's claw/egg figural from MeerQueen, I much prefer regular pipe shapes for my meer pipes. For me, it would be a nice smallish/medium bent brandy or egg. which would be nice with the PM logo carved in the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.