Traditional Smooth or Traditional Carved?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
SP’s 10% off sale has the PAD juices flowing. I am trying to decide between a smooth or lattice AKB Meerschaum. I currently own a Muhsin volcano. I know that I want a larger pipe this go round and I am not ‘into’ carved (animal, people, et al). I prefer more traditional shapes. The decision is between another smooth pipe or one with lattice and/or rustication. I am also leaning toward a Tekin this time. I would like to hear other’s preferences and why before closing out the cart . What say you?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I don't own a Meerschaum. So with that said. In the constant looking at them online, I always look for the smooth classic shapes. I'm told the smooth color faster/better? Don't know if that's true.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Forums member was so kind as to send me an estate Meerschaum, a straight tapered billiard with etched carving on a wine grape theme, which I like a lot, something I would have selected for myself. This or smooth would be my first choice, in a traditional shape.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks for the feedback guys. My Muhsin volcano is smooth and I, too, have always leaned toward the traditional and smooth. I am intrigued by the potential patina on some of the lattice models with a traditional shape. The PAD, also, has me considering a Peterson POY after seeing pics of anthony's and/or a Mark Tinsky that, I have long desired I feel compelled to pull the trigger on something(s?) before the sale ends...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've had IMP's and AKB's that were removed from my collection during my last culling. Just didn't find a significant difference between them and my briars.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I definitely am not suffering a pipe shortage :) I do just have the one meer and would like one with a larger bowl. I am planning on doing a little more traveling in the next few years before I retire. I like the idea of just taking one meerschaum pipe with me when I go. When I retire, my wife and I plan to spend our summers at our place in Russia and the rest of the year back here in FL. I have yet to start my Russian collection or cellar.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have one quality meer, an IMP. It is a smooth Apple and it smokes ok. Not as well as my broken in, dedicated briar pipes.

Here is the IMP.

meer4-600x399.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
dcon, I like it! A bent Rhodesian sitter with a saddle stem. Looks like a good smoker.

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
I am becoming a meerschaum smoker. I have bought two quality ones and I find I use them much more than my briars. They have the advantage that they need much less rest, and I can make myself familiar with them as individuals much faster. I like figúrals, but not to smoke, so I tend to buy classic shapes, either plain or latticed, depending on my mood. Hope yours smokes well.

I know an only meerschaum smoker; I asked him once about the best techniques for colouring and he said: “just smoke them frequently”.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the definition and clarity of flavors in a Meerschaum. I'm just more likely to reach for a traditional shape.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Paul, I am just doing my first week there this fall When I retire in 3yrs, we plan to spend summers there and the remainder of the year in FL. I have viewed that website and have it bookmarked. I probably wont buy any pipes on this trip. I will be looking for tobaccos that we can’t get in the States. I will eventually need a cellar and pipes in the Russian home and I may focus on both meerschaum and artisanal.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@Dcon,That sounds interesting, well what I can say I do personally know the store owner,and they do send them products via mail all over Russia so You can collect your parcel at the nearest post office/Payment in cash upon delivery (+4%fees apply )additionally to this St Petersburg vendor there are some other tobacco shops,mostly in Moskva such as Mir Tabaka and some other,prices for imported tobaccies equal to those seen say in Germany but some brands are somewhat cheaper(side note, serious shortages in supply are constant event here though)

@The Pipe Monk, Chris, Oh Yes That'll be a wonderful pipe for sure I do adore this original Merchant service shape,(which has nothing to do with Bing's favorite by Savinelli)If my memory serves Our Forum member JimInks owns one of that Artisan made Merchant service briar reproduction pipes which looked very fine to me

Status
Not open for further replies.