PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
.... noticed suggestion to Introduce ones-self. An Irishman having lived without technology and with very limited Internet experience - however, trying all the same. While no one may be interested, (if I can manage to do so) photo of my first tin of commercial tobacco from 1985 ... Kind Regrads, PL View attachment 179676
Kind Sir, I just wished to thank you for this morning for my discovery of your website. A PLAIN LIFE Travelled Upon OLD PATHS Without Television or Technology. - https://asolitaryjourney.org/ What an enjoyable read with this morning's bowl Stokkelye English Oriental. I found your words refreshing in today's world for sure. I must admit I have only ventured a short distance into your blog. In so doing I get a sense of a gentlemen's insights into the world. Which I fully welcome. Again I wanted to thank you and welcome you here and look forward to your input on the various subjects here. I also look forward to reading through your blog as time permits me. The books next to my armchair are many and never-ending. Keep the faith there are still folks who both read (real) books and blogs.

• Love
Reactions: edger and Scottmi

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yes, Thank You for your words of encouragement --- Truly, to remain on the Internet, I would only be visiting here ... I did start an Internet Site, but after this afternoon, What I saw today truly disturbed me (as far as general vulgarity, cloying rules about not "offending" childish individuals - censorship (!) that is beyond my capacity to have even imagined - there must be no maturity left on earth whatsoever (?) ) - That Internet out there is just not an environment for me at all. I do feel much better here, having met many nice and welcoming folk ... Will certainly take your advice and think about things a little more. Thank you very much for your thoughts, truly. Regards, PL
Having perused your site, I find it curious that you have such disdain for change and modernity, yet charge forward into the interwebs, knowing full well the dismay and anger it will bring you.

And then there is this little gem:
“The obscenity of Corporate Greed – known as “Copyright Infringement” – now demands a fee for what used to be freely shared”

As a sole proprietor who earns his living in part by the long-standing protections afforded by international copyright law, I implore you to broaden your horizons and read up on the subject. Copyright law exists to protect authors, artists and other IP creators from theft. It allows them to reap the financial benefits of the fruit of their labor, a basic human right. Copyright law is not new. It predates the internet, television, radio and Kim Kardashian. There is no free lunch.

I suspect that you may change your tune if someone was to take your fine photographs and offer them for sale, or use them to sell toothpaste or to get a politician elected. What if your self portrait became a popular internet meme, like that stupid grouchy cat?

There are undoubtedly good reasons that you chose to isolate yourself from the world. It is something that many of us fantasize about, but few follow through on. Perhaps you need the occasional reminder that you made the right decision?

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
Having perused your site, I find it curious that you have such disdain for change and modernity, yet charge forward into the interwebs, knowing full well the dismay and anger it will bring you.

And then there is this little gem:
“The obscenity of Corporate Greed – known as “Copyright Infringement” – now demands a fee for what used to be freely shared”

As a sole proprietor who earns his living in part by the long-standing protections afforded by international copyright law, I implore you to broaden your horizons and read up on the subject. Copyright law exists to protect authors, artists and other IP creators from theft. It allows them to reap the financial benefits of the fruit of their labor, a basic human right. Copyright law is not new. It predates the internet, television, radio and Kim Kardashian. There is no free lunch.

I suspect that you may change your tune if someone was to take your fine photographs and offer them for sale, or use them to sell toothpaste or to get a politician elected. What if your self portrait became a popular internet meme, like that stupid grouchy cat?

There are undoubtedly good reasons that you chose to isolate yourself from the world. It is something that many of us fantasize about, but few follow through on. Perhaps you need the occasional reminder that you made the right decision?
I think he was referring to books that people generally would go to a library and freely check out and read, and now the access is paid memberships such as kindle and the like. As a 20+ year published musician I understand your point also. I once asked a recording studio director about what I should do about people stealing my music. He told me that people that steal your music are one of your best advertisers that work to your benefit. For everyone that hears about you, there is a percentage that wants to buy your music and there is a percentage that will steal it and advertise for you to those that will buy it. So I tend to look at it with a different eye now. I also get a kick out of news media and how they can use anything as a news story and not pay for it and yet make money off it.

• Love
Reactions: edger

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Hello & welcome from a pipe smoking simpleton.
I too, have a deep dislike for all the newfangled computers, social media platforms & the like.
As a pipe smoker though, it has been the ‘key to the door’ opening up a hitherto unbeknown world of wonders. In this forum you’ll find fantastic threads detailing historical aspects of the pipe & tobacco industry. I’ve discovered & smoked tobacco’s from all around the globe, learnt about fixing & restoring pipes for myself & made a few friends along the way.
Hopefully you’ll stick around & find it as enriching as I & many others have. That is, of course if you’re here to talk about pipes & tobacco. If you’re here for other reasons, then perhaps you won’t. Lol

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
Thank you, Mr. Livingstone, for making your blog available to us. Your words are a nice recall to the days when civility was the norm. In these days when people can hide behind the Internet to spew hatred and misinformation, voices such as yours are a pleasure to read.

Reactions: ARTOPUT

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hello Bob ... Ah well, Presenting a mass of Traditional Countryman's Pipe on video did not fare well 12 years ago. Feel free to have a little look at the phots on my Internet Site while it is there, if you would like. Just not sure what to do with regards staying on the Internet, at the moment. Always a pleasure to meet folk who are interested in Old Paths. Very much appreciate your kind greeting. Thank you. PL
Hello LivingStone. Not quite sure what you mean by Presenting a mass of Traditional Countryman's Pipe on video, the not fare well part that's pretty understandable (it's the standard human condition, or at least for things we try to out to the public). Sure I'll check out the site.
Should you stay on the Internet? Think of it like a huge city. Some parts of it are going to be nasty, but some real great places and people if you know where to look.
On old paths I am of the mind that both tradition and modernity aren't all their cracked up to be. Great things from both. And both have things that can warp and destroy a person too. I tell people tradition is like a rock. It can be a great thing to stand on or build a foundation, it can also trip you or you can tie it around your neck and go swimming with it too. All depends on what you do with it. That said I find lots of old things really great.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yes, Thank You for your words of encouragement --- Truly, to remain on the Internet, I would only be visiting here ... I did start an Internet Site, but after this afternoon, What I saw today truly disturbed me (as far as general vulgarity, cloying rules about not "offending" childish individuals - censorship (!) that is beyond my capacity to have even imagined - there must be no maturity left on earth whatsoever (?) ) -
Well the internet is what it is. And what's that? Well everyone can go almost where ever they want anonymously. So on one hand you have people who are really horrible because they can't be punched or honestly can't see the way people would look at them. Then you also have people from anywhere at all with you know experiences from all over the world (sometimes the town next door is a different world). Or to put it in smaller terms the internet creates a weird situation where it's technically anonymous and yet there is zero privacy. No one really knows you and they can see everything you say (same with them). Compound that with most of the sites people go to are huge highly competitive businesses that follow the idea of expand at all costs. The easiest way for them to expand is to keep people on the sites non stop. Easiest way to do that is get people distracted and riled up. The more you argue with me the longer you'll spend getting ad revenue for them.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I think he was referring to books that people generally would go to a library and freely check out and read, and now the access is paid memberships such as kindle and the like. As a 20+ year published musician I understand your point also. I once asked a recording studio director about what I should do about people stealing my music. He told me that people that steal your music are one of your best advertisers that work to your benefit. For everyone that hears about you, there is a percentage that wants to buy your music and there is a percentage that will steal it and advertise for you to those that will buy it. So I tend to look at it with a different eye now. I also get a kick out of news media and how they can use anything as a news story and not pay for it and yet make money off it.
I’m fairly sure that libraries still exist.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Welcome! The comment about having lived so long with limited technology makes me wistful. While the Internet does have a positive role to play I often think technology has made our "real lives" as much poorer as richer. But then again, I'm probably one of only a handful here without a smart phone, who doesn't text, has never had a social media account of any type, and still uses Post-It Notes (instead of an electronic calendar) to remind me of things... :)
Luddites unite!!

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
While I, too am an admirer of good ole King Ludd, my vocation as a photographer has evolved from one of artistry, craft and alchemy to a succession of ones and zeros. Not much that I can do about that!
I was a fairly adept b&w photographer in the day, and still enjoy my old Pentax cameras, my Ukrainian Leica knockoffs ( a Fed 1d that was one of the last made in 1940 before the Wehrmacht), but my rapidly aging Fuji x10 is cheaper and easier.
Time marches on at a pace I can’t, and won’t keep up with. We’ll all be codgers one day!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I was a fairly adept b&w photographer in the day, and still enjoy my old Pentax cameras, my Ukrainian Leica knockoffs ( a Fed 1d that was one of the last made in 1940 before the Wehrmacht), but my rapidly aging Fuji x10 is cheaper and easier.
Time marches on at a pace I can’t, and won’t keep up with. We’ll all be codgers one day!
Since I make a living with my equipment, I’ve kept current with it. Although I loved film and printing B&W, I can hands down say that because of digital’s speed, immediate feedback and quality, I’m making much betting pictures on a daily basis. And that’s all that matters.

• Love
Reactions: tbradsim1 and edger

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
We live, my wife and I and the dogs, in a home overrun with books. I like leather soled shoes, wear a wristwatch or a pocket watch, keep a handkerchief in my pocket, write with a Montblanc occasionally, and listen mostly to classical music, but I lack the courage to be as consistent as you.
I spent a few summers in Fermanagh in my childhood to better know my relatives. I grew up in New York the son of an American GI and a WAAF from Northern Ireland.
Our beloved neighbors had a small farm and we wee types would observe bringing in the hay the old way. They were Walter and Addie Livingston!
I’m enjoying your blog. Thank you for joining us!

• Love
Reactions: MCJ and beefeater33