Trading Value for Tobacco in a Doomsday Scenario.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Many years back I invested in tobacco and coffee for a STHF scenario. I also have a shit-ton of corncobs and rolling papers and a few automatic cigarette rolling machines. I could start production in no time.

Coffee and a smoke anyone? Oh yeah, bring those addicts to Poppa.

As far as equal trades for what I have and ammo? It all depends. Too many variables. Supply and demand will dictate. If the shit never hits a fan, it's all listed in my Will.

My thoughts on the prepper thing? You can only stockpile so much...then ya gotta' start making it on your own (food, booze, baccy, etc). Thus I didn't go nuts on ammo. Not much of a chance if I get ambushed by 10 goons with guns. And they'll then take all my ammo anyways. I'd be happy taking out a few of them and gladly get the hell off this planet anyway. I lived my life...had a ball to.
All this and If TSHTF better to have bushcraft skills, an axe and a blade through knife , and at least three fire starting devices, a sniper rifle and being able to make your own bullets wouldn’t hurt ?

Reactions: Streeper541

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I've got enough of each those things and a lot of other stuff that I could survive quite a while. Between my couple neighbors and myself, we could probably establish a trading post for all sorts of useful supplies & niceties. ?

Philosopiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2021
The value of any commodity varies per one's need and desire.

Water, food and shelter, in that order, are paramount.

Everything beyond that is a "luxury item".

That said, why do you think it is that our gub'mint specifically has a bureau named after alcohol, tobacco and firearms?

View attachment 160309
I’m curious, Jay, what you have in mind as the reason for the bureau.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
It would be a disservice to the OP to answer that here and likely get the tread locked.

I kind of threw it out rhetorically.

I think a safe answer might be to indicate that these three areas (now four areas, with the addition of explosives), were identified early on as areas in which crime elements and activity were found to be concentrated and a need for an agency with broader jurisdiction than state level was determined necessary to combat it across state lines.

If a more in depth and forum prohibited discussion is desired, you, or anyone else, is welcome to initiate conversation by PM.

1659371513809.png

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You guys with your guns should know that if every military on the planet ganged up on the U.S, they would be turned to glass in a day. The amount of high tech bombers and sheer number of high tech fighters dwarf the rest of the world. Just one of our 8 carrier groups which include attack subs and nuclear platform subs can waste the planet. Buy tobacco, screw the guns, no one is invading the US.

Reactions: dcon and jpmcwjr
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I’ve stocked up on marmite, aka the black gold of down under. That should see me through any potential post apocalyptic scenario
I just tried vegemite for the first time last week. Had no clue what I was doing. I spread a thin layer on toast. It seemed like a soy sauce paste. Wasn't terrible. Also wasn't great. Should I put butter on as well?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Leaving aside that I don't have a shotgun, I wouldn't take any amount of tobacco until I am sure that we have enough weaponry to defend ourselves. And I am not sure that I know enough people to reach that point. It would be utter chaos at that point.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I just tried vegemite for the first time last week. Had no clue what I was doing. I spread a thin layer on toast. It seemed like a soy sauce paste. Wasn't terrible. Also wasn't great. Should I put butter on as well?
Vegemite does have a soy sauce vibe about it. Marmite is much thicker and sharper in flavour.

butter with it is nice, not necessary, but it does help. If you want the first class treatment, whip your butter and spread together to ensure an even spread. Make a sandwich and out some potato chips/crisps and alfalfa sprouts inside.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
The trick is to think of the marmite/vegemite as the 'salt' that you put on heavily buttered toast. A very light hand with the 'mite...almost a mite not.