PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
A recent thread got me thinking about the toys we had in our youth and memories that seeing them again brings out. A few of you mentioned Hot wheels and Matchbox cars.

I have a ton from when I was a kid, and my kids play with them occasionally. But what I'd like to share here are some really old ones, that we got from my wife's uncle. They are from the 50s. When they were clearing out their mothers house they were discovered and sent to us. I figured I would post one or two a day and hopefully bring some nostalgia to some of you guys.

Without further adieu:

This first one is a larger plastic model which I think was a promotional item from the dealership:

P_20210408_073123.jpgP_20210408_073137.jpg

Second is a 'Bottle Float'?

P_20210408_073246.jpgP_20210408_073314.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
This is going to be a good thread.

I can remember back in the mid 60's my dad bought a new Ford and the dealer gave us a matching plastic toy car. My brother and I rolled that car all over the house.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My family owned the Dodge Lancer version of that Plymouth Valiant, not a toy but a car. It was a good car, a good six banger with (if I remember correctly) a push-button automatic transmission. One of my favorite car toys from the 1950's was a auto-hauling trailer truck that had six little cars of 1930's vintage that fit neatly on the trailer and could be loaded and unloaded on little ramps. All this was quite small scale; the cars were about 3/4 inch long, and the whole truck must have been about six inches. The cars were different colors.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
There's a pretty decent size collecting community in toy cars. Most of them aren't worth much except to the owners. A very few are worth a $1000 or more.

Reactions: BROBS

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"@mawnansmiff what is a 'Family Brick' of ice cream?"

Not 100% sure Mike but would hazard a guess it was simply a large slab of ice cream to be taken home and cut up as desired.

On ice cream vans, my school pal Andrew Cuneo's family had a fleet of them and in the summer holidays Andrew would look after one by one of the many parks in Sheffield. I got lots of freebies from him :)

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: BROBS and scloyd

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
In my childhood I had toy cars from Siku and Wiking. I loved them but a problem for me was that they were of different sizes (scales) when I played ‘traffic'. (the Sikus were larger).
In the 1990s I collected bburago models (1:18) especially Ferrari, Lamborghini and Bugatti.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
In my childhood I had toy cars from Siku and Wiking. I loved them but a problem for me was that they were of different sizes (scales) when I played ‘traffic'. (the Sikus were larger).
In the 1990s I collected bburago models (1:18) especially Ferrari, Lamborghini and Bugatti.
Yea Wiking are tiny!!

Reactions: Kottan and kcghost
Status
Not open for further replies.