PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
If you make it to Galway make sure to have a Hooker beer.
Don't know how long you'll be there, but a fairy over to England and a trip to Kendal to see how Lakeland is made would be cool.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
I won't have enough time for a trip to England. However, I will be going to England next season to watch Everton in their final season in Goodison Park. Cheers.

Reactions: vosBghos

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
If you're in Dublin, the Gravediggers is a must visit for a Guinness. Taaffes in Galway has incredible pints too if you're there.

Bet you miss Richarlison now we've got him (spurs)! Although given how we're playing at the moment, maybe not...

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Dublin, for me anyway, is just a big European city. It's is worth a day trip to see the historical sites. I always put in a few minutes in the Peterson store to see if anything catches my eye. The factory could be a stop, I suppose, if you have an interest. I take a train from the West and spend a day. Otherwise, I want to spend my time in the West where Irish is spoken and folks aren't too busy to visit a wee bit.

Graften Street is a fun walk if just for the "buskers." (street entertainers). The Peterson is just a few yards away across from the University.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
Bet you miss Richarlison now we've got him (spurs)! Although given how we're playing at the moment, maybe not...
I always liked Richy. He runs his ass off. That said, he deserved to go if he wanted and I thought we got a fair price for him. I actually think we got more than he's worth. As you've likely witnessed, he has a below average first touch and he's not a great passer. All of that said, using the Richy money the way we did was wildly baffling.

Reactions: jaingorenard

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
Dublin, for me anyway, is just a big European city. It's is worth a day trip to see the historical sites. I always put in a few minutes in the Peterson store to see if anything catches my eye. The factory could be a stop, I suppose, if you have an interest. I take a train from the West and spend a day. Otherwise, I want to spend my time in the West where Irish is spoken and folks aren't too busy to visit a wee bit.

Graften Street is a fun walk if just for the "buskers." (street entertainers). The Peterson is just a few yards away across from the University.
Thanks for all of that. When you say you spend your time in the West, where specifically? And anything you'd recommend there? Cheers.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Galway City is a good stop for shopping and basing out of for a few days. John Wayne fan? Tuam is where some of "The Quiet Man" was shot. Roundstone is coastal Ireland at it's best, in my opinion. I always spend a few days there, great scenery and a couple of the finest beaches in Ireland are close by, Belmullet has one of the world's great golf courses. Also, the lighthouse that gave General Eisenhower his window of opportunity (weather prediction) for the invasion. The first trans-Atlantic flight crashed landed in Connemara near Clifden. I could go on and on, ad nauseam.

The great pirate queen, Grainne (Grace) O'Malley, had holdings up and down the coast and inland in Connemara, some which still have standing ruins. "The West" is, loosely, the Provinces of Connaught and Munster. The Gaeltact is where Irish is still the predominent language.

I apologize for being so lengthy. The West is a favorite place for me, embedded in my heart.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Alas, I believe the Irish pubs no longer permit smoking, or so I've heard. A fine point, but an important one, order your Guiness anticipating a wait. A good barkeep will draw a pint with precision, allowing the head to develop, so don't be a damned tourist and inquire why service isn't more snappy. Often, there's a nice spread of food on offer while you wait. I've heard the Peterson store in Dublin is worthwhile.

I thought the library with multiple balconies and ladders to book shelves, and the exhibit of the Book of Kells, illuminated manuscripts, were remarkable. Trinity College where they are located has a wall around it, so you may have to walk a way to the entrance, but it is worth it. St. Stephens Green, Dublin's Central Park, is an escape on a pleasant day. By sheer luck, I encountered the 150th birthday of Oscar Wilde at Trinity College and heard a reading by his grandson who looks a lot like him. I waited with other walk-ins while they opened extra seating for the overflow.

St. Patrick's Cathedral where Jonathon Swift was the Dean is Irish-Anglican. The Dean is buried there, amazingly beside a longtime woman friend who perhaps was his consort. Imagine that happening today. Huh.

We also went up to Sligo to William Butler Yeat's grave where he also lived in a medieval tower with his new wife and children during the troubles in the 1920's. My late wife looked around their stone tower bedroom and said of his wife, "She must have really loved him."

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I omitted the Roundstone Hotel. The proprietors are very personable with a rich knowledge of the area. The food is great, best Shepherd's Pie on the island, accorfing to my wife, rest her soul. My dearest friend, an Irish native, agrees. I based out of the hotel a few times and heartily recommend it. Unfortunately, health issues have kept me close to home these past few years. So, I can only speak from memory but, the West is slow to change.

Most neighborhood pubs have smoking areas, some heated, some roofed, some both, immediatly adjacent to the building. "Smerting" is an Irish term for smoking and flirting outside. It's an enjoyable activity, it is.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I did a factory tour about 2009 when they were in Sallynoggin, really enjoyed it. I emailed them in advance, which was a good idea because tours weren't a regular occurrence for them. I suggest you email the factory, or the Dublin shop, asap.

Since you have time, you could also check with the Dublin store about ordering anything you've been looking for, letting them know when you'll be there to pick it up. I hear there is a museum above the store, if so please post pics. Cheers!