PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Very risky. It's only a matter of time before you get the angle a tiny bit wrong, a gust of wind moves the flame or you hold the jet too close.

I forgot the most important thing. It's hard to accurately guage the center of a one inch diameter target that's suspended 5 or 6 inches from your eyes. I'm lucky to get close enough not to scorch the rim using a match.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I smoke several bowls every round of golf. I use a couple of cobs. I light with a torch. I try to hit the center of the tobacco and also am brief with applying the flame. There's probably over 50 bowls on each cob, haven't burnt out either yet. I'm mildly surprised by that and looking in the bowls, it doesn't appear burn out is likely to occur anytime soon.

With all that said, I would in no way endorse using a torch to light any of my briar pipes.

Mar 1, 2014
Torch lighters are one of the best ways to reduce tongue bite.
The only time I'm forced to draw heavily is while lighting, but with the a flame thrower you can still light with a sip.

The perfect lighter would just be a heated rod though, no flame and no need to draw at all, you could just stab it into the tobacco and wait.

I just realized some soldering irons might fit the bill. Hmm...