PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
OK, maybe it's not a secret but it is hard to find it on their site.
I stumbled upon this pipe a couple weeks ago while Googling stuff. It's the Black Pipe Smokers Pipe of the Year, apparently made for that club to the specs of one of the members. It has the large 5th Avenue bowl and a total length of about 5.25 inches, which makes it a bit longer than my nose warmers. It looks and smokes great.
Here's the top secret(ish) link: https://corncobpipe.com/bps-pipe-of-the-year
Btw I haven't found any info about the BPS club. I assume it's a club for black as in African-American people who smoke pipes, although I suppose it could be a group of people who smoke black pipes.

Jan 8, 2013
Maybe the Black Pipe Smokers Club is a club of evil doers, black of heart, using their sorcery and villainy to gain power and one day control the world.... it could happen.
Cool cob, by the way.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I prefer the saddle tan stain...such as this.

mSQ0t5Vl.jpg

or this.

itL6QMtl.jpg

or you could go for a darker stain such as this.

Xs9Dilul.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Maybe they smoke from black pipe? Maybe they mean Captain Black Pipe Smokers?

My Google Fu comes up empty.
Either way, we should all order one of these pipes.
Better yet, we should have MM make a PipesMagazine cob.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I never got into the dress-up MM cobs and stems but am happy that others like to do so. I liked to watch my cobs color naturally and would ever pay extra for a more durable stem for a pipe that cost $10.00. Plus i was never a chewer so the flimsy stems were never an issue.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like watching the amber colored stems darken as they are smoked. Over years I've never had more than minor scratching on the original stems.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It's a corny idea, but I like it.
The engraving should read: PM Forums 2019 IBTL

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I prefer the saddle tan stain...such as this.
I've done some cob facelifts, but I haven't used that color. I've been mostly using the regular brown, sometimes with a light coat of black on the bottom, then with a red or yellow top coat. I did one of the Ozark Mountain hardwoods in black cherry, it turned out nice. I sand em down going as far as a 5000 grit sanding pad then top it off with carnauba wax. Unforunately I don't have any pics of them because my phone and its camera are giant pieces of s*** and the pics I took looked like crap. I'm also practicing staining on a basket pipe I bought. I think it's relaxing to just sit there and wax my pipes (insert double entendre joke here). I use a Dremel, so I have to pay attention to what I'm doing. It's pretty zen...now I need a fountain and a rock garden, maybe one of sand rake things.
Acrylic stem and I’m in.
I'd definitely be interested in a Pipes Magazine cob, and agree with Philo about the acrylic stems. My Charles Towne Cobbler has one, and it's a big improvement. I have a Country Gentleman with a mini-churchwarden Forever Stem, and it smokes as cool as a cucumber.
Here are a couple links to other Pipes of the Year that MM did for other groups. Both are sold out. You'll probably notice that the first one is just a Charles Town Cobbler with a stamp on the shank. Not very original, I guess, but still a hell of a pipe.
https://corncobpipe.com/psf-2018-poy
https://corncobpipe.com/corn-cob-nation-2018-coty

Status
Not open for further replies.