PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
1) Forget All About It (Nazz - Nazz Nazz)
2) The Song Remains The Same (Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy)
3) The Changeling (Doors - LA Woman)
4) Sunshine Of Your Love (Cream - Disraeli Gears)
5) Glad (Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die)
Forget all about it by Nazz is a great rock record. A hidden gem with particularly terrific drum. The rest of the album is good too. Todd Rundgreon's early band. As i recall, the album was red vinyl.

Merton

Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
1. Rock & Roll Damnation (AC/DC - Powerage)
2. Thunder Road (Springsteen - Born to Run
3. Wichita Lineman (Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman)
4. Detroit Rock City (Kiss - Destroyer)
5. Tom Sawyer (Rush - Moving Pictures)
Wichita Lineman is both a great record and a truly beautiful song. It has been called the first existential love song. " And I need you more than want you and I want you for all time."

Reactions: brian64

Sidehatch

Jan 30, 2022
Colorado
Nice lists here. The GNR opener with Welcome to the Jungle is spot on. That one just blows the hair back and says get ready mother f’er.

hate to be that guy but it’s worth mentioning I think.
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana Nevermind
Same thing with those first guitar rips. For me it was Whoa . . .what’s this.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Wichita Lineman is both a great record and a truly beautiful song. It has been called the first existential love song. " And I need you more than want you and I want you for all time."
Agreed...and I feel the same way about Wichita Skyline, Shawn Colvin's homage to Wichita Lineman (even inserts the WL guitar riff) although not really a love song, but certainly existential.

Reactions: Merton

Merton

Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Agreed...and I feel the same way about Wichita Skyline, Shawn Colvin's homage to Wichita Lineman (even inserts the WL guitar riff) although not really a love song, but certainly existential.

Thanks for posting this. Colvin's song " Sunny Came Home" is one of the really great songs of the 90s and incredibly deceptive in its lovely melody juxtaposed with its searing meaning. I wonder if you have ever listened to any of Ellis Paul's music. He has worked with Colvin and a number of others.

Reactions: brian64

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks for posting this. Colvin's song " Sunny Came Home" is one of the really great songs of the 90s and incredibly deceptive in its lovely melody juxtaposed with its searing meaning.
Agree about Sunny Came Home...and that whole album is exceptional. Wichita Skyline is probably my favorite from it, but some real gems on there like 84,000 Different Delusions, Suicide Alley.

I wonder if you have ever listened to any of Ellis Paul's music. He has worked with Colvin and a number of others.
No, I'm not familiar with him...will have to look him up.