PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I decided the other night to rededicate my Savinelli 320 to Latakia blends. Until that night all of my briars, save one had been dedicated to VAs and Va/pers. I love English/Balkan blends, but they had been quarantined to cobs, and a nice little paneled billiard (Larson's of N.O.) that I picked up at an antique shop. I haven't felt the urge to smoke any English blends till the weather took a turn toward Fall. I just recently received a purchase of some Quiet Nights, and Gaslight. Subsequently after having such a good smoke of Quiet Nights out of my Larson's, that my thoughts turned to my neglected 320 and cracking into that tin of Gaslight.

After I took the plunge, I kept coming back to the thought; why was I was scared to just go for it and deny myself such a good smoke(it was awesome!!!!)? Maybe for me the 320 is better suited to English blends. I tried not to subscribe to the school of thought that bigger bowls for English blends, small narrow bowls for flakes, but I had an excellent result. I'm happy that I did it, and its given me a reason to smoke my 320 more. Anyone else have a similar experience, and rededicate a neglected pipe with favorable, or unfavorable results?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've found that the Sav 320 is an excellent pipe for English blends. I also smoke crossover blends like the Frog Morton blends in them fairly regularly too. Great smoking pipes even if they are a tad heavy for clenching.

I'm not familiar with Larson's of N.O. pipes. What city did you get it in? I do have a couple of pipes stamped Jansen's N.O. I think they were mainly made by GBD for the now defunct old shop.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Don't own one, though I have heard many swear by the 320's effect on an English blend. May eventually get one myself. Currently suffering from shaving accessories acquisition disorder. :mrgreen:

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
All I know about Larson's was that it was a pipe shop(now closed) in New Orleans. I live in BC, and randomly found it in a thrift shop. There were a few beat up pipes in a case, and the one I got was the best by far. The rest looked rough, like dog chewed on them rough. Aside from some rim darkening, it cleaned up good and smokes as good as the rest of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.