PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
OK - I have figured out that tobacco can be too wet --> tongue bite. So no more storing it in my cigar coolidor. Thanks all!

But can pipe tobacco be too dry? If so, do you take any storage precautions?

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
OK - I have figured out that tobacco can be too wet --> tongue bite. So no more storing it in my cigar coolidor. Thanks all!

I tend to like my tobacco just shy of bone dry. For me that offers the most intense flavor. When I can squeeze a pinch of ribbon cut or rubbed out flake without feeling the sensation of water against my fingertips, while the tobacco is still pliant, it's ready for me to smoke.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

not too dry but dry too long. The oils start dissipating if it's dry. So it can super dry for a time and be great.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It's fine not keeping it in a cigar humidor, but don't leave the tobacco out in open. If you are going to smoke it in short time, keeping them in tin is fine. If not, move it to mason jar. You want to take out what you are going to smoke and dry them.

Reactions: anotherbob

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Of course tobacco can be too dry to smoke well. If you live in a place where the ambient humidity rarely dips below 70%, you'll have to work to get your tobacco "bone dry" . If you live in the desert, bone dry is too dry!

Kinda a pity no one uses actual measurements.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
Good morning bro. I put some Sutliff Vanilla in a paper envelope last week to dry out, and it's still nowhere near being too dry. It's helped tremendously though. Last night I put "small paper sacks" on my Get list.

Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I like most OTC’s when fresh. However, they’ll get to the bottom easier if dry with fewer relights. But crumbly, dry tobacco just takes something away from the experience for me. ChasingEmbers may be right about dry burley. Because I enjoy the moisture content of Granger. It’s luxurious, soft to the touch and smells great when it’s fresh. I’ll clench an unlit bowl and let the flavor come through. Great stuff.

I, personally, would rather have mine crunchy dry, but in high humidity Alabama, the longer I leave a tobacco out, the more moisture it absorbs. So, I rarely can get a tobacco that dry without using something like a coffee mug warmer or leaving it open on my dashboard on a very hot day. Usually, when I open a tin or jar, I just dry the whole thing at once to save time having to wait on bowl fulls at a time to dry.

And, sometimes, like when I buy a pound or so of Habana Daydream or PS Cube Cut, I just leave it in the bag and leave the bag open. I may put a day's worth in a jar to carry with me, but when I have no interest at all in aging, why bother?

I don't smoke a lot of aromatics, but when I do, I don't bother drying them at all. The taste or aroma for those comes from the toppings, so I don't want to push the flavor off. But, this may factor in to why I don't smoke aros much.

Mostly, I only jar up what I am wanting to age. Whatever I want to just smoke from, I just leave it setting around, trying to dry it out.

I have only ever seen stale tobacco from well aged blends. I'm sure it's possible to dry one till it is stale. I just haven't ever seen or experienced it, ever.

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
I accidentally let the Bayou Morning Flake I brought into work get crunchy dry and it was one of the best bowls of that blend I’ve smoked so far. After reading this thread and smoking this bowl I realize I was putting to much thought into not letting my tobac dry out throughout the day. Now I realize the worst that will happen is it will smoke better lol

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
I accidentally let the Bayou Morning Flake I brought into work get crunchy dry and it was one of the best bowls of that blend I’ve smoked so far. After reading this thread and smoking this bowl I realize I was putting to much thought into not letting my tobac dry out throughout the day. Now I realize the worst that will happen is it will smoke better lol
Wow - very interesting. Thats what I am beginning to think too.