PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I once heard a pipe smoker in my local independent pipe shop saying he'd collected over 200 pipes. Then he

spared it down to a mere 60. He had a similar cache of tobaccos, but that's another discussion. I currently

have a few less than three dozen pipes, which means I rotate every few weeks, if I smoke one or two pipes

a day. I smoke as a specific leisure activity, not continuously. My current thinking is, I don't want to own

pipes that don't get smoked from one months end to the next, or that I am discovering in a drawer. I've

traded several away at once to get one I think I'll smoke regularly. I want to feel that most are my

"favorite" when I am smoking them -- a pleasant illusion, or delusion. What's enough? What's too many?

Any ideas out there?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
There is no clear cut answer once you have one pipe. The thing is, some guys are deliberate collecters and then the rest of us actually do a count one day and wonder where they all came from. It just happens.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I want to feel that most are my "favorite" when I am smoking them -- a pleasant illusion, or delusion.
I am the same way. I don't plan on collecting for collecting's sake.
Still, I am beginning to believe that it's a delusion. Tastes change. I can believe 5-10 years from now my favorite style (billiard) will be replaced with something new.

Aug 14, 2012
I have about 130. I don't need them, but I do enjoy them. What you need, if you smoke 3 a day is 15. But why not have more if it pleases you?

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
As I've said before in other threads: Too many pipes are not enough pipes.

I currently have 13, but my minimum goal is 49, so that I can smoke seven pipes per day and rest the pipes for a full week.

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
I think I have enough pipes for now. I have 10 and a cob on the way so now I can focus on collecting tobacco. You have to do what's best for you and find your comfort zone.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I feel that around 40-45 is plenty for me. My goal is to get that number of pipes that I always want to smoke, I don't want any pipes in the collection that just sit, so I am moving some out to make room for new ones. I currently have 44 but there are some I just don't reach for so off they will go.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since I started this thread, I'll say, for those of you who haven't reached your limit: I'm first of all a billiard, brandy guy, but have a

number of others. I highly recommend at least one churchwarden and one poker. The churchwarden was a gift and surprisingly

good smoking.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I've only been smoking pipes since last October and love it! I'm surprised I waited till I turned 50 to start. I remember my grandfather always smoked pipes. After he passed on his pipes disappeared. I would have loved to have inherited a few of them at least. At the moment I only have 4 briars (low end) and 5 cobs. So, if anyone has too many pipes overflowing and would like to give one away I'm all in favor and will happily accept. ;)

cedeks

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2012
I have around 45 which is more than needed according to my use. I always say that but can not resist the urge to pass by pipe section every time I go to buy tobacco or pass by a duty free in an airport. Things startsby telling myself why not to go there and check the new designs, then I start asking the sales person to hand me one or two to check closely and without any resistance I find myself paying for one or two and leaving the shop happily... hehehe and I always end up thinking that I have more than I need :)

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I guess you "need" 5 or 6 pipes to allow them to dry out between sessions, but then there is also the collecting side of things. There are so many lovely pipes out there that I can see how someone can find themselves with 200+. Personally I think that, as long you can display them, there is room for more :)

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I never count them up. I have my collectibles and I have my smokers. I always look at new pipes when I can. I buy what I can when they're available. Many times it's timing when you find a great pipe. I'm always looking.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
About 25 pipes right now. I smoke about half of them on a regular basis, and about half of that on a very regular basis.
About 4-5 of my pipes are really awesome smokers, or at least I really enjoy smoking them specifically. There are about another 5 or 6 that I smoke to keep my favorites from getting worn out.
I don't really need any more pipes, and the pipe buying has slowed down a lot.
Now I am stocking up on tins and bulk. Not going crazy, but just building up a good reserve. If worse comes to worse, I can cobble up a pipe to smoke. Hard to cobble up an English blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.