PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I drove truck for about 3 1/2 years. I was based out of Mira Loma/Fontana but our HQ was in Phoenix. Saw too many of your 115°+ days and those 95° nights. I don't envy you at all!

Problem here is being high desert, it gets bitterly (for this area) cold in the winter, hovering around 27-35, but at times getting down to low 20s. Top that off with our high winds and it's unbearable. I sit in my car, idling with the heater on just to have a smoke, lol.
I know what you mean. I lived in Minnesota for 15 yrs before moving to Tucson, and I have many memories of going for walks in single digit temps so I could have a cigar. In fact, for a Vikings playoff game one January, I turned the TV towards the balcony sliding door and had a Martini and an Ashton VSG while watching the game. I’ve been in AZ for 5 years now, and I joke that it will take another 10 yrs before my bodily climatic equilibrium to be restored.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I'm just waiting for the wildfires...NOT! This season, July 2020 - June 2021 , for my area, is a whopping 1.32 inches. Can you say ready to burn tinder!!!
Yep. Late summer and fall are going to be brutal. We just had our driest year on record here in Tucson. That’s right. The driest year in an already very dry desert. 4 inches of precipitation for the year.

I think as we see climate change further develop we’re gonna see a lot more of these extremes.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I think as we see climate change further develop we’re gonna see a lot more of these extremes.
Damn man, you’re right on. People still can’t understand the difference between weather and climate (but it was cold in winter so it must not be real!), and we’re already seeing undeniable effects.

Anything over 70 and I’m uncomfortable. AC gets turned on at 78 outdoor, less if it’s humid outside. NE Ohio is a funny place to live, we see negative temps in the winter, and can approach 100 in summer, but fall? Oh, October/November are delightful. Used to be September/October, but anymore that’s been pushed back a month as things change. The maple syrup season used to start in March…but now if you aren’t tapped and ready by the first week of February you’re screwed.

I work outside, on a produce farm, doing physical labor all day long. Give me 50 degrees with a light mist of rain, please. It’s been hot as hell the last few weeks, and nothing irks me more than hearing customers say, “Oh, you must be loving this weather! It’s soooo nice!” Gimme a break, Gladys, come on out to the farm when it’s 85 and help plant 1000 seedlings on black plastic and tell me how nice it is.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Yeah that's a bit uncomfortable. Sit in the shade, grab a Cigar and a glass of rum. I dont usually smoke a pipe in the heat. Been really gross here in Southern Ontario this last week or so, 30C+ and around 50 to 70% Humidity, nice and sticky.

Status
Not open for further replies.