Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
What do we think boys? Any path to victory on this monstrosity? I like a challenge, but if the bowl is donzo I'm not into wasting my time.

Thanks in advance for your time.

damaged pipe.JPG

The shape of the pipe is still fairly spot on and I tried to get the worst angle here on the damage.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Looks like a beautiful pipe. Gorgeous grain and a beautiful shape. Have you considered using pipe mud to build up the inner wall?

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Is it a purchase? If so, greatly reduce the price. Any pics of the chamber? If it’s not cracked, you could smoke it like it is, or file iit down to a banker shape (assuming it has enough depth.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Nothing a good sanding and restaining couldn’t “fix”

Not sure how much that would alter the shape though, depends on how deep you’d have to sand.

How a pipe gets like that I have no idea. Unless the previous owner used it to smoke an exploding cigar.

If I got for the right price I’d take a stab at it. Sure does have nice grain.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I'm no expert at all, but you won't hurt it worse. I'd start it an everclear bath, a good scrubbing, and then get to sanding. I wouldn't go so deep to get through the burnt wood, but use a dark contrast stain and it will turn out fine. It will lighten up and be a battle scarred soldier.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The question is, is that external charring, or burning out from an issue on the bowl's interior? Unfortunately, it looks like the latter.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Cigar torch lighter + ignorance and/or foolish overconfidence = that

The discoloration goes deeper than you'd think. Enough that "sanding it gone" would change the shape an unacceptable amount.

The best compromise is to re-shape the bowl just enough to reach smooth "finishable" wood, and re-stain the entire pipe in a dark color.

PS -- if it is the exterior manifestation of an internal problem (a soft spot that has torched), you're SOL

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can see the problem clearly, so I would start to work on it, with the understanding that it will reveal its secrets, the underlying soundness, or the deeper structural damage. It could go either way, so the charring is superficial and reparable, or the pipe would be messed up looking or unsmokeable. It think it may clean up pretty well, if it gets slightly misshapen getting rid of the fire damage. Don't be afraid to walk away from it, or consign it to a shop pipe.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.