SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

I don't usually rehydrate whole batches, but when I do run across one that does a little better with just a tad more moisture, I just pack the bowl and blow into the chamber out through the stem for a few puffs. Of course, Mrs Cosmic always makes a joke about me smoking my pipe wrong when she sees me doing this, ha ha.

But :::sigh::: if you are just bound and determined to rehydrate a whole batch, then you can set the tin or jar (open) inside a large plastic bin, alongside a bowl or mug of warm water, cover the bin, and wait for a day or two. Tobacco is an awesome absorber of ambient moisture. In fact, in Alabama, I don't have to do anything other than leave the tin open for a few days without the bin nor the mug of water. YMMV

Where are you located. Hasn't our mod, jpmcwjr suggested that you put your location in your profile to help us when you have questions like this?

I hope that helps.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I weigh the tobacco, times it by 0.1, then add that much water. Following that, I gently mix the tobacco then place in a warm location.

No scale?
1oz needs approximately 1 tsp water
1lb needs approximately 3 tbsp water

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I've gone about this two ways, and both of them work just fine.

My preferred way, on the rare occasion that tobacco actually gets more dry than I want it, is to use a couple of terracotta humidification coins I bought on ebay for a few bucks, soak one of them in distilled water for a hour or so, then put it in the jar or tin with the tobacco and check on it in a few hours or so. I would imagine that a chunk of a broken terracotta pot would work just as well.

The other way is to put the tobacco in a bowl, and cover the bowl with a damp paper towel. Again, distilled water is preferred so you avoid all the treatment chemicals in tap water.

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I just lay it out and use a bottle sprayer and mist with water. Then jar it up and wait a day or two and check. The moisture will spread through the tobacco faster if it’s heated like in a hot porch or somewhere very warm.

alson sometimes use a folded up paper towel that is soaked in water. Squeeze it out so it’s just damp and not dripping. Throw in the jar or just thread it through in the lid so it hangs above the tobacco if you want. Leave day or two and take it out for it to spread through the mix.

Reactions: mingc

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Ha ha, are you serious? Ha ha, I could see you with a lab coat, measuring out water into beakers,
It's so much easier and quicker than guessing and going back and checking, then adding a little more, then checking again.

It looks more like this:
Oh. I have about 20g here. I'll put a little less than a tsp of water in, shake, walk away.

• Love
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Two or three 9mm charcoal filters soaked for a couple seconds under a faucet. Place them in a Ball jar, close 'er up, and wait 24 hours. Repeat if needed. I've talked about this one before on here multiple times--it's surprising, but it works. Just freshened up a jar of Peterson Irish Oak that was getting a little too crispy for my liking. Boom, good as new. Since I sold my last filter pipe, a Peterson Dublin 221, I have no conventional use for these filters anymore. Oh well...waste not, want not!

Reactions: chopper

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How dry is it? Have you tried smoking some of it as is?

Otherwise, a shard of terra cotta soaked in tap water (some will shout it has to be distilled water) is about perfect in terms of cost and effectiveness.

Reactions: chopper