PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Tony could afford whatever cigars he chose, but I don't believe he was an aficionado. He could afford the best of the best but lacked, I think, the
ability to study, taste and study more. He certainly liked to smoke throughout the day, but to me it was in the back round without the concentration to bring the tobacco alive.

Philosopiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2021
Good assessment. Tony doesn't have the level of introspectiveness or patience it'd require to be an aficionado.

Pretty sure I remember him offering a macanudo to someone, or mentioning macanudo, at some point during the series.

1632327717509.png

Reactions: danimalia

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a different gangster film, but I felt a ring of truth in "The Irishman" when one mob soldier was detected going to the courthouse, and the "family' hit him because they assumed he went to squeal. Actually, he'd gone to get a marriage license or something.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My old man could afford any cigar he wanted. He would bring me back Cuban cigars when he went out of the country which he did around 4-6 times a year. He didn't smoke any Cubans. He only smoked Macanudo Prince Phillips. He called his order in to JR when he needed something. I bought him his first humidor. He had his fathers humidor but it was too old and it was useless. I kept it just for the family history.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yeah..... how can we expect him to make a decent choice of cigars if he wore shorts. I don't believe any full grown man that wears shorts (or backwards ball caps and flip-flops) can make a good choice when it comes to tobacco. ?
it's a reference to something that happened early in the making of the show.
They got a call from some real gangsters who told them Bosses don't wear shorts.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
It's been so long since I watched the show, but I always thought the cigars were as much a status symbol for him as anything else. As we learned through his sessions with Dr. Melfi, he was very much in "fake it til you make it," mode internally, and so surrounding himself with the standard trappings of Italian gangsterhood was important to him. It was part of how he sold himself to the world around him. I probably preferred The Wire and Deadwood a little bit more, but The Sopranos was an excellent, wonderful series. The whole series was rich with wonderful acting, but the work Gandolfini and Edie Falco did in Season 4 as husband and wife at war with each other was some of the best acting I'd ever seen.

Looking forward to "The Many Saints of Newark"

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Interesting, CAO created a unique cigar brand just for the series, but many more were available on the set: What Cigars Did Tony Soprano Smoke - CigarCigar - https://cigarcigarinfo.com/what-cigars-did-tony-soprano-smoke/
I think this article was written by a content-generating algorithm of some sort. The text doesn't withstand scrutiny.

"Lucky strike is an ancient brand and has been in existence for over 70 years. It is one of the most popular cigar brands and is one of Tony Soprano’s favorites."

"It is so much that when he starts smoking, he can sit in one position for up to 45 minutes without moving an inch. This will allow him to enjoy the taste and experience for a more extended period."

[Edit--- Sure enough ]

"We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites."

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
But of course, the Sopranos itself was the product of an algorithm. A logical next-step in for-television writing. The Godfather franchise cheapened to the level of a daytime soap.