PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TubePiper

Lurker
May 24, 2024
Greetings fellow Piper from Mediterranean Sunny Cyprus :)

I currently started blending tobaccos and wanted to try a new blend by basically toning down an aromatic blend.
More Specifically Thomas Radfords Sundays Fantasy.
Was thinking to blend it with equal parts bright and red Virginia.
What do you guys think and suggest?
Thanks 🙏

Reactions: SmokingInTheWind

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
It really depends on the components of the aromatic. However you cant usually go wrong with some extra virginia. On some blends even some vapers work well to cut back on the flavoring. Just experiment prior to mixing a big batch.

Typically I try to use my less favorite blends to improve another. On the one you mention a vaper might be fun. Mix a bole full and give it a go.

grimpeur

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
In my experience with trying to do this, i.e., tone down an aromatic, I have found that adding just a bit of the aro, say 5 or 10% of the total to the base, is a good place to start. I do recall trying a fifty-fifty mix of something cherry; the aromatic effect was all but unchanged.

It's a lot easier, and less expensive, to continue to add more of the aromatic than it is to add more of the base.

SmokingInTheWind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
In my experience with trying to do this, i.e., tone down an aromatic, I have found that adding just a bit of the aro, say 5 or 10% of the total to the base, is a good place to start. I do recall trying a fifty-fifty mix of something cherry; the aromatic effect was all but unchanged.

It's a lot easier, and less expensive, to continue to add more of the aromatic than it is to add more of the base.

I have a pound of D&R Two Timer burley. It is plain burley with no topping. I jarred it but haven't tried it yet. Do you think this would make a good base to stretch out, and tone down aromatics that have an overabundance of topping?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I have a pound of D&R Two Timer burley. It is plain burley with no topping. I jarred it but haven't tried it yet. Do you think this would make a good base to stretch out, and tone down aromatics that have an overabundance of topping?
Two timer is a lovely smoke by itself (if you like burley), and I think adding a pinch of an aromatic to it would work well, especially if the flavours of the blend build upon the natural flavours found within burley.

@TubePiper when you say equal parts bright and red Virginia are using whole leaf or bulk blends?

SmokingInTheWind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
Two timer is a lovely smoke by itself (if you like burley), and I think adding a pinch of an aromatic to it would work well, especially if the flavours of the blend build upon the natural flavours found within burley.

@TubePiper when you say equal parts bright and red Virginia are using whole leaf or bulk blends?

I have been enjoying some different straight burley tobaccos lately. Based on reviews, I bought the Two Timer to try as a less expensive alternative. For the price, I figured a pound wasn't a big gamble. Per grimpeur I will start by adding 10% aro by weight to a small sample of the Two Timer and go from there.

I usually dry aromatics out in good shape, but I am thinking, because Two Timer is so dry, that I can mix the aro in without drying it first and let it meld in the jar a few days. It should come out about right moisture wise.

grimpeur

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
I have been enjoying some different straight burley tobaccos lately. Based on reviews, I bought the Two Timer to try as a less expensive alternative. For the price, I figured a pound wasn't a big gamble. Per grimpeur I will start by adding 10% aro by weight to a small sample of the Two Timer and go from there.

I usually dry aromatics out in good shape, but I am thinking, because Two Timer is so dry, that I can mix the aro in without drying it first and let it meld in the jar a few days. It should come out about right moisture wise.
I like your thinking! I've never had Two Timer, but experimenting with just a small amount; you can't go wrong.

TubePiper

Lurker
May 24, 2024

Bulk blends, more specifically Robert McConnell 🙂