PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

riptide

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
Is tongue bite the stabbing sensation on the middle to edge of the tongue? if so I may have so tobacco for trade soon.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
As I understand it, it is the burning of your tongue on the hot air/steam that comes from your pipe when you puff too hard/much. Allergic reactions might have similar effects but tongue bite will ruin your tongue for the next day or so as it tries to undo the damage.
Any tobacco can bite if you smoke too vigorously.
You kind of have to smoke "ridiculously slow" Just enough to keep the embers alive.
It's more like a dance than it is just smoking tobacco.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Charles,
Based on your description: maybe. There are lots of essays on this, some of which you'll find on this site (try googling 'tongue bite vs. tongue burn'). Also, you should try (if you have not already) rubbing out the tobacco and letting it sit for an hour before smoking. Also try sipping something acidic (like coffee) to balance the alkalinity of the tobacco you're smoking. I have blends that bite (sugary ones are the worst), but I have found ways to minimize the bite so I can enjoy the flavors of an otherwise good tobacco.

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I guess My Tongue is over worked and ruff the smoke is just aggravating it i guess I will hve to not smoke for a few days.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Try sucking on a butterscotch candy. I tried this at the Chicago Pipe Show last year for the first time and it cleared up my over-smoked tongue INSTANTLY. After 2 days of non-stop smoking, it allowed me to "get back up on the horse".

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
To clarify, tongue bite is NOT 'leather tongue' or a burnt tongue. It is a chemically activated response of our bodies to the ph levels of certain tobaccos versus our own personal and always changing chemistry. I've never had it though, so I can't say how it feels. Though it is often described as a cramp feeling. Try eating different foods or drinking sodas or something while smoking or before. Otherwise, just smoke slow and don't burn your tongue! :puffy:

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
Thanks for the advice. I have case of over smoked tongue but the sharp stinging was new to me it was like needles jabbing my tongue very unpleasant.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
...very informative post. Please update us on your sitch Charles. I'd be curious to hear if any of the remedies worked for you. Best of luck!

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
Your problem is one I deal with often. I must have a sensitive tongue. Therefore, I have read many articles and forum responses so what I share here is largely by others.
There are two sources for the pain: heat and/or acidity. Heat will exceed your personal tolerance due to: too rapid puffing, too dry or to wet tobacco or packed too loosely. At least those are the main causes based on experience and others. Acidity is a characteristic of the tobacco type and processing that is adjusted by the addition of sugar or sugar based casing or toppings. For me that is the tips of the ice bergs on tongue issues.
I like the science side of the issue and so have enjoyed the more technical articles. You will not have a problem finding many articles on all the issues. What you will find is that those I cited are intertwined with others. That was when I began to realize that the talker/operator at my local B&M was far from the tobacconist I have come to rely on at site like this one. BTW - this is the only one I frequent. I have learned a lot from the members posts as well as from Greg.
What is my solution? First was to slow down and smoke sitting rather than cutting the grass--which I use to do. Second was to move to straight VA where the sugar content is low and pick blends that are non or light aromatic.
I hope if I am off track with the above one of you will adjust the course I hoped to send him along.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I don't know the difference in tongue bite or burned tongue. All I know is that not long after I started smoking a pipe it felt like someone had stomped on my tongue. I couldn't taste anything for days, and it hurt.

I even went to the doctor and asked if taste buds rejuvinate or were they gone forever. That's how concerned I was. All he said was " stop smoking ". They did get better, but it took about another week before I could taste my food again.

So you're not alone my friend. But it will get better.

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
PS - Tongue bite; tongue burn and the tingle of spicy tobacco, for me, can occur at the same time or separately. For me tongue burn does not go away and my tongue feels rough over most of the surface for maybe a day. [Sugar left to soak in on the tongue does help] Tongue bite, for me, is localized tongue burn that seems to occur when the tobacco is too wet and the steam zaps a spot as it exits the stem.
For a long time I misinterpreted burn and bite for what I now call sizzle from spicy tobacco--actually an acid reaction as from jalapenos I enjoy. For me the tingle disappears very soon after you quit smoking and when I noticed that is when I began to know the difference from bite or burn.
All this has made the search for MY tobacco less of a shot in the dark and hence more fun.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
Second was to move to straight VA where the sugar content is low and pick blends that are non or light aromatic.
i thought VA had the highest sugar content i know they taste a whole lot sweeter than the burley blends i smoke

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I have been drinking lot of water that seem to help the raw tongue I guess i was dehydrated now smoking dose not hurt and My tongue is not a dry and ruff. and the sugar trick worked so did slowing down my pack is getting better on all my pipes so I am not puffing so hard to keep it lit. It seem all my pipes like a different type of pack to stay lit.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
I find that most tobaccos that I need to rub out (flakes or roll cake slices) have a fairly sharp bite if I don't let them dry out for about an hour after rubbing them out as futureman mentioned. And also like futureman, I get the bite worse with sweeter blends.
Last week I got some Mac Baren's Dark Twist, which touts itself as being sweet. Most people rave about it, but the first few times I smoked it, my tongue and the back of my throat had a really sharp bite going on. I realized that it probably had something to do with the tobacco still being compressed in slices of roll cake, so I rubbed some out and let it dry for about an hour. Turns out that when it's dried out enough, it's as fantastic as everyone says it is, with no bite.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I stand 100% corrected.
I just experienced ACTUAL tongue bite yesterday night when I smoked my first bowl of Mac Baren's Virginia No. 1
On the first couple of puffs My tongue felt a very odd stinging sensation. I'm going to give it another try but it's the craziest thing and it prevented me from finishing the bowl. I quit 10min in.

Status
Not open for further replies.