New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

D

Danpiper

Take a sip of soda if it burns then its too bitey for me i am a big soda sipper i dont want any blend if it bites

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’m not sure anyone actually tests for it, but rather, doing certain things to avoid it.

The PH balance of tobacco is suppose to be the culprit, aside from which, a person with sensitivity, or allergies to tobacco might also experience bite.

I believe it’s most common that people, experience bite in Virginias...

If someone doesn’t have allergies or sensitivity, then following the usual steps helps to eliminate bite.

1. Drying tabac before smoking, to moist not good.
2. Before smoking, allow pipes some time to dry out, and making sure to keep them cleaned.
3. Light tabac easily, sip when smoking, don’t puff like a train, and don’t get the pipe hot, also allow pipe(s) to cool before sipping, over or relighting.

Did I miss anything? hmm ?

P.S. Welcome to the forum! :)

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Smoked all kinds of blends over the years and never had it happen. Tried Granger….. lit my mouth up like eating a colony of fire ants! Don’t think there’s any way to “test for it”, just keep on truckin till it hurts

D

Danpiper

I’m not sure anyone actually tests for it, but rather, doing certain things to avoid it.

The PH balance of tobacco is suppose to be the culprit, aside from which, a person with sensitivity, or allergies to tobacco might also experience bite.

I believe it’s most common that people, experience bite in Virginias...

If someone doesn’t have allergies or sensitivity, then following the usual steps helps to eliminate bite.

1. Drying tabac before smoking, to moist not good.
2. Before smoking, allow pipes some time to dry out, and making sure to keep them cleaned.
3. Light tabac easily, sip when smoking, don’t puff like a train, and don’t get the pipe hot, also allow pipe(s) to cool before sipping, over or relighting.

Did I miss anything? hmm ?

P.S. Welcome to the forum! :)
Depends on the blend too some u can puff fast with no bite

Reactions: kurtbob

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Depends on the blend too some u can puff fast with no bite
That’s what I meant about the PH balance, I also forgot to add ‘toppings’, which could cause some people issues.

Yes, it also depends on how they were grown, cured, blended etc., lending some to being more mild, etc..

Of course there are some very light VA blends, Latakia has also been know to bother people.

Blends being mentioned in this post, I’m referring to VA, Burley, Kentucky, Orientals/Turkish, Latakia, etc... Not name brands, just in case you were referring to brands, when you mentioned blends.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
My test is simple. If my tongue has a burning sensation, I have tongue bite. If not, I don't. Why do people believe they have to over think things so much when the simplest answer is most often the correct one?
Just that.

Your tongue will tell you when it's been bitten. No need for a test, unless you have a tongue totally devoid of sensation. Most tongues are very sensitive to noxious sensations.

Reactions: PipeIT and Etipton

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
If you get tongue bite, you won't need to wonder about whether you have it or not. You will know. My best advice is to dry tobacco, sip and smoke slowly. Don't puff like a steam locomotive. It isn't a race to see who gets done first. Smoke slowly and pack lightly. A pipe packed correctly will almost smoke itself. Good luck and happy smoking.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
All I know is, I no longer have the problem. I smoke now because of the taste. It's like drinkoing a good beer or an apple pie, you need to allow the tongue to experience. Anyone can gulp down without tasting.

Reactions: PipeIT

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Tried Granger….. lit my mouth up like eating a colony of fire ants!
Did I do thaaat?

What’s so crazy is that out of all the blends I’ve ever tried, Granger is the smoothest, mildest I’ve ever encountered.

And yet, kurtbob and many before him have said the same. One memorable quote, “ A tasty mouthful of wasps”.

The absolute farthest thing from harsh to me.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Did I do thaaat?

What’s so crazy is that out of all the blends I’ve ever tried, Granger is the smoothest, mildest I’ve ever encountered.

And yet, kurtbob and many before him have said the same. One memorable quote, “ A tasty mouthful of wasps”.

The absolute farthest thing from harsh to me.
Seriously though, I love the flavor and I also find it smooth but that damn chemical reaction with my tongue is straight up ??????

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Seriously though, I love the flavor and I also find it smooth but that damn chemical reaction with my tongue is straight up ??????
This is why after finding a blend or if you’re lucky, maybe two which suit you perfectly, I say be happy. — I do try other blends, it’s fun. But I’m usually disappointed by them.

• Love