PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chicken Cod

Lurker
Feb 6, 2020
Miami-Dade County, Florida
Hello friends. So here's the scenario. I recently bought a tin of C&D's Lunchtime Blues, which is a Burley based blend with Virginias and some Orientals. I am trying to branch out of my usual line-up of codger Burleys because the general consensus is that Virginias in general and C&D blends in particular are where the real enjoyment is at. Unfortunately, I have tended to get severely bit by Virginias in the past and the two bowls of Lunchtime Blues I smoked over the weekend, while somewhat enjoyable, burned my tongue to oblivion. It was so bad I couldn't smoke for days. As a side note, I suspect that my cadence is off and that I tend to puff too hard. I've only been smoking a pipe for about a year so am definitely still a noob. I suspect that my inability to find a slower, softer, cadence is definitely part of the problem but I definitely seem to react poorly to Virginias and this Lunchtime Blues blend bit me so bad I'm almost afraid to try it again.

Does anybody have a sense as to what might lead some tobaccos to cause significant more tongue bite than others, and/or some advice on how to improve my technique to get the most of the experience? I would really like to expand my range of enjoyable tobaccos beyond Prince Albert and SWR.

Thank you in advance for your advice and counsel.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
This is going to sound goofy, but when I was trying to get over VA tongue bite syndrome I would time my cadence by watching a movie or television program with the time bar visible at the bottom (by leaving the mouse on it so I could see the numbers).

Once a minute I would take 3 short puffs and then a long slow draw. Over the remainder of the minute I would taste the smoke and let out slowly, both through the mouth and retrohale. The puffs sort of drew life back into the ember, and the long slow draw gave me enough smoke to chew on for awhile.

Pretty soon it was automatic, and I didn't have to think about it anymore. Like driving a manual.

It really taught me that I was drawing on the pipe much more frequently than I thought, which was causing a lot of tongue bite. Sometimes I still use that method for a blend that tends to bite.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I am trying to branch out of my usual line-up of codger Burleys because the general consensus is that Virginias in general and C&D blends in particular are where the real enjoyment is at.
Real enjoyment is whatever blend gives you pleasure.

I happen to prefer smoking Virginias and their variants, Va/Pers, Va/Ors, Va/Burs, etc, etc. But that just me. Plenty of others smoke English blends, Codger blends, aromatics, or a wide spectrum. Enjoyment is personal, not a committee decision.

I can smoke pretty much any kind of blend, but many pipe smokers find that certain types of tobaccos can really sting. For some it's Virginias. For others it's Burley. Some who enjoy Virginias cannot smoke red Virginia, or bright Virginia. People's reactions vary.

Sometimes it's a matter of technique. Sometimes it's a matter of body chemistry.

As Ashdigger noted above, Virginias are best smoked very dry. This can reduce the level of sting, or eliminate it altogether. I dry down my Virginias, Va/Pers, etc so that they're dry to the touch while still pliant. That helps release the most intense flavors.

Virginias are best smoked slowly, sipped and not puffed. Pushed too fast Virginias will get very hot and the flavors will be reduced. You're looking to keep the tobacco barely simmering. It's the vapor that carries the flavors. It takes some practice to get the combination of moisture, packing and cadence, so be patient. If your pipe goes out, no biggie, just relight.

Try drying your tobacco more than you think you should, pack looser than you think you should, and sip more slowly than you think you should. That may reduce tongue bite. Experiment with a blend to figure out how to get the most from it. Eventually it will come together.

But if, when all is tried, you still find that Virginias cauterize your mouth, it may be a matter of body chemistry.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
A lot of people can’t stand PA or SWR so count your blessings! Lol

I’m predominantly a burley smoker too, and have been bit hard by Virginia. As said above, thoroughly drying - you’ll think it’s too dry - and slowing down make a huge difference.

Another thing you could try is to slowly add a small amount of VA to something like PA at a time to figure out where your sweet spot it. Maybe start with a bowl mixed in at 10% and work up in 5% increments or something. Half and half is based on the idea that the ph of both varieties balance each other out. For me to get that ph balance right, I feel like Va can’t go beyond 30-40%.

El Diablo

Lurker
Apr 21, 2020
Hi Chicken ...
I believe your problem lies with the airflow of the pipe
and not the tobacco you smoke ... also you admitted, smoking too fast
does not help either.

Burley in general requires to be smoked slowly ... sipping it even ....
Usually aromatics are the ones who bites ... as they are heavy on the glycol ...
sumbitches... !!

I will tell you what I do to my pipes to remediate the tongue-bite ....
I open the mouthpiece and smoke-hole to 3/16 of an inch ... [4.75 mm]
??
I use my drill and a 3/16 bit and slowly and carefully drill the shank-air hole
... no biggie, the briar does give way easy ... and I do the same with the stem,
just enough to reach the button ... slowly, carefully and straight .... slowly is the key word on the stem.

Of course, my pipes are mainly bulldogs, poker, dublin, billiards, etc.
Straight pipes ...
Opening the airflow improves the draft.
you will be amazed at how easily it smokes and how easy it is to keep lit.
And here is a big-one ... wait for a minute ..... wait ....
""the unrestricted airflow prevents tongue-bite !!""

There are many "papers and articles" on this very subject:
**Airflow: The Key to Smoking Pleasure, by Ken Campbell
** Rick Newcombe article: “Easy Draw".

If you think about it, it makes good sense ...
bigger draft-hole = easier draw ....
Pipe stay lit longer, so there is no rush to smoke faster ...
that’s your problem too, smoke faster because you want to keep the fire-going.

If you are thinking 3/16 is too big, then start with 5/32 .... [4 mm]
You will notice the improvement .... and realize that your tobacco choice
is not the culprit of tongue-bite ...

Hope it helps ...and happy piping …

BTW: Have you ever try “Three Blind Moose” tobacco from 4 Noggins … My Favorite !!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Hi Chicken ...
I believe your problem lies with the airflow of the pipe
and not the tobacco you smoke ... also you admitted, smoking too fast
does not help either.

Burley in general requires to be smoked slowly ... sipping it even ....
Usually aromatics are the ones who bites ... as they are heavy on the glycol ...
sumbitches... !!

I will tell you what I do to my pipes to remediate the tongue-bite ....
I open the mouthpiece and smoke-hole to 3/16 of an inch ... [4.75 mm]
??
I use my drill and a 3/16 bit and slowly and carefully drill the shank-air hole
... no biggie, the briar does give way easy ... and I do the same with the stem,
just enough to reach the button ... slowly, carefully and straight .... slowly is the key word on the stem.

Of course, my pipes are mainly bulldogs, poker, dublin, billiards, etc.
Straight pipes ...
Opening the airflow improves the draft.
you will be amazed at how easily it smokes and how easy it is to keep lit.
And here is a big-one ... wait for a minute ..... wait ....
""the unrestricted airflow prevents tongue-bite !!""

There are many "papers and articles" on this very subject:
**Airflow: The Key to Smoking Pleasure, by Ken Campbell
** Rick Newcombe article: “Easy Draw".

If you think about it, it makes good sense ...
bigger draft-hole = easier draw ....
Pipe stay lit longer, so there is no rush to smoke faster ...
that’s your problem too, smoke faster because you want to keep the fire-going.

If you are thinking 3/16 is too big, then start with 5/32 .... [4 mm]
You will notice the improvement .... and realize that your tobacco choice
is not the culprit of tongue-bite ...

Hope it helps ...and happy piping …

BTW: Have you ever try “Three Blind Moose” tobacco from 4 Noggins … My Favorite !!
Yes, I have to agree with you but it may be worthwhile mentioning that opening be it stem tenon or /and draft-hole air way cause pipe starts smoke airy in other words,offering turbulent and airy smokes like if one were smoking Savinelli 6mm filterpipes or those with stringer without inserting ones, and this 'issue may be even more evident (and annoying)with shorter length of pipes

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
my suggestion for smoking slower isn't to think of it as slower but to think of it as sipping. That suggestion did more for me then taking it slow. Same thing but for some reason easier to pull off. And like has been said burlies and codger blends can give as much pleasure as anything else. Frankly the idea of a certain pipe blend style being the real or best or the experienced smokers choice is as insanely stupid as saying blondes are fine but if you're a real man you like brunettes. It is just a matter of preference and frankly just like hair color preference I find a good blend to be a good blend no matter what it's made of.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
Agreed to pretty much all replies. I'll second that bowl packing is highly influential to certain blends along with pipe of choice. Packing too firm causes a harder draw and a worse experience. Too loose causing more tamping, open draw/tighter tamping and hotter smoke. Moisture complicates it all, and so does different pipe draws, etc....My best piece of advice is that your dead on about puffing too fast...only smoke Virginia blends when your calm/not occupied and not craving lady N. That alone can slow your cadence. Recognize that Virginia's are different and require greater patience and discipline. Equally that I wouldnt consider lunchtime blues a true Virginia ? Goodluck and Happy Smoking!

Oh and different types of tobacco have different inherent ph and alkalinity as well as toppings and casings that influences the final blend. Some smoke easier than others but I believe most can be enjoyed by all with proper experience.

Last edited:

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
[…] the general consensus is that Virginias in general and C&D blends in particular are where the real enjoyment is at.
I have had almost no luck at all with C&D blends. I’ve also not heard almost anyone sing the praises of C&D Virginias in particular.

If you are like me you'll find your favourites elsewhere. I’d sample widely to find which blending house or style is more to your liking. Find a list of good Virginia flakes from this site and try some. Capstan Blue flake, Newminster 400, Mac Baren Virginia #1, and HH Pure Virginia are my recent favourites, but I’m just starting out.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I have had almost no luck at all with C&D blends. I’ve also not heard almost anyone sing the praises of C&D Virginias in particular.

If you are like me you'll find your favourites elsewhere. I’d sample widely to find which blending house or style is more to your liking. Find a list of good Virginia flakes from this site and try some. Capstan Blue flake, Newminster 400, Mac Baren Virginia #1, and HH Pure Virginia are my recent favourites, but I’m just starting out.
Yorktowne is awesome!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
it's like smoking a nice sourdough in my opinion. And other people have sung the praises of that wonderfully perfect blend.
Yorktown is one of my favorites. I have poundage of it.

CRF and Bijou are two more that I stock. The other C&D Virginia and Va/Per offerings are OK, but I've cellared better, so I don't buy them.
My understanding is that C&D Burley is their strength.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Yorktown is one of my favorites. I have poundage of it.

CRF and Bijou are two more that I stock. The other C&D Virginia and Va/Per offerings are OK, but I've cellared better, so I don't buy them.
My understanding is that C&D Burley is their strength.
they do wonderful things with burly. And their Virginias are under rated in my opinion. They seem to prefer drier Virginias then other producers if that makes sense and dry like wine not like deserts. I think they case them often with a very light amount of honey but I could be 100 percent wrong about that.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
If all of the above doesn't help with that blend, as a last resort before throwing the tobacco in the trash, I would consider toasting it or rinsing the tobacco as there may be a casing component such as sugar or citric acid that is causing your tongue bite.