PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivanhoe

Lurker
May 15, 2020
I am an American living in Tokyo for over a year now. I have smoked a pipe for 40 years, but it is difficult here. Mrs Grundy is in charge of smoking here now, just as she is in many parts of the US. Smoking in bars and restaurants is about to be banned entirely and smoking while walking down the public sidewalk is illegal. Some parks have designated smoking areas, but they are designed for shame and punishment and not for relaxation, just like the smoking rooms in American airports. They never include a seat and rarely include any shade or shelter from the weather. Small tobacco kiosks survive all through the Tokyo neighborhoods, but they never have any pipe tobacco for sale: only cigarettes and vaping supplies. In the past months, I have found only three stores in the whole of Tokyo that are selling cigars and pipe supplies. There may be more, but I have not found them. The one ray of good news is that one of them -- the best one for pipes, in fact -- is in Gotanda, not too far away from where I live. If any of you have any tips for pipe survival in Tokyo, please let me know.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Welcome from NL!

As with many things, the best solution is to remove yourself from the city. Live rural, practice shinrin-yoku with your pipe, avoid people who would control you or who you would bother with smoke.

Unfortunately, many are not able to make that sort of choice without upending the rest of their lives. In which case, I have no good advice. Good luck!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The reach of the Anti's is long, justified by health. I think their data is drawn from a variety of sources and with it they draw a single conclusion: All tobacco use is bad.

The only dependable place for you to smoke would seem to be your home, if you control smoking within it.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Welcome to the forum!

My sister in law and husband went to Tokyo last year and had a blast, total culture shock though. My buddy and his girl friend are planning to go in November if everything calms down.

Are you able to mail order pipes and tobacco?

Reactions: bnichols23

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Welcome to the forum from southwest Michigan. Dang that sounds like it sucks for sure. Good luck man. Hey speaking of vending machines whats the weirdest things you have seen being sold in one?

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Welcome from Sweden!
I was under the impression that they puffed away in Japan like it still was the 60's, smoking at workplaces etc. But that perhaps is past now?

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Wow; that sounds worse than Brazil (and Australia). Smoking whilst on the footpath is allowed in both although smoking in parks (São Paulo) and reserves (Sydney) isn't although I used to do it all the time in Sydney (reasonably discretely - not near people eating, kids, etc.) and never got complaints.

Actually, I tell a lie, on one occasion a woman sat down at a table near me (I was already enjoying my pipe and coffee); started to eat and then complained bitterly about my smoking. I put my pipe out but several Aussies also sitting close by told her (I paraphrase slightly) to not be so stupid and then told me to light up again!

São Paulo; smoking on the streets is OK; I only found out my favourite park was no smoking after I'd been visiting it daily for 4 weeks when someone complained. The park ranger seemed embarrassed at having to ask me to stop (I had been talking to him most days in that 4 week period...) but said they were installing a smoking area.

Unfortunately that was just before the virus lock down; hopefully it's not like the ones you mention in Tokyo but I expect it to at least have a bench or two and public shaming (unless you're a politician of course) is not really a Brazilian thing.

I'm not sure smoking is actually allowed in a couple of (very) small park areas outside the local shopping mall but I figure since that's where the São Paulo police take their smoking breaks I'm probably OK to smoke there... :sher:

Reactions: indoeuro

Ivanhoe

Lurker
May 15, 2020
Hello, Have you been NOMURA TOBACCO? It's Higashi gotanda.
How about a online shopping ? "SIRIUS TABACCO" Its' Osaka.
タバコ通販サイト【シリウスタバコ】 - https://www.tabako.co.jp/
Few times, I was buying pipe tobacco from Sirius tobacco. Its' difficult to explain about that. Im' not living Tokyo, I was check your request from Home page of Tsuge pipe.
Doro,
Nomura Tobacco is the only place I have found on this side of Tokyo that still stocks any pipe tobacco at all, and their selection is pretty large. The secret pipe room in the back is really nice.

Reactions: doro

Ivanhoe

Lurker
May 15, 2020
Welcome to the forum from southwest Michigan. Dang that sounds like it sucks for sure. Good luck man. Hey speaking of vending machines whats the weirdest things you have seen being sold in one?

Another Michigander! I was born in Lansing. In Japanese vending machines I have seen for sale (at various times and places) men's white shirts, fresh fruit, umbrellas, and women's underpants. Most of the machines that one sees are just selling hot and cold drinks, though.

Ivanhoe

Lurker
May 15, 2020
Welcome from Sweden!
I was under the impression that they puffed away in Japan like it still was the 60's, smoking at workplaces etc. But that perhaps is past now?
Yep. Things have changed a lot in the last 20 years. It used to be that the only thing cheaper in Japan than in America was cigarettes, but they have caught up now. A pack of cigarettes in a vending machine here is about $4-$5 US.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
Hello, Have you been NOMURA TOBACCO? It's Higashi gotanda.
How about a online shopping ? "SIRIUS TABACCO" Its' Osaka.
タバコ通販サイト【シリウスタバコ】 - https://www.tabako.co.jp/
Few times, I was buying pipe tobacco from Sirius tobacco. Its' difficult to explain about that. Im' not living Tokyo, I was check your request from Home page of Tsuge pipe.

Looks like they have a pretty decent range of pipe tobaccos over there!
I'm envious and would love having such a selection in my neck of the woods.

25$ for 50 grams is a bit steep, but it is imported tobacco after all.
Welcome aboard, by the way! :)

Reactions: radrick96

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Welcome! Sorry I have no advice for tobacco in Tokyo. I've travelled to Osaka several times the last few years, and did notice on my last trip you could only smoke, even outside, in designated areas, which were usually outside convenience stores, or in the back alleys by vending machines. I think it was part of their big ramp-up for the Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.