PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I often enjoy a good burger. Unfortunately, with adulthood has come some discernment about the quality of beef, cheese, and fixings, and some aversion to burger chefs who get too creative. I like avocado, but I don't want it on my burger. However, I do remember when I was about seven years old when there was no food on the wide earth that was more excruciatingly delicious than a thin little patty on a fat factory bun with a big blob of catsup, probably some mustard, and a tangy pickle, along with some crispy skinny fries at a joint called Robin Hood's Barn, with a neon sign that had Robin Hood firing an arrow over the front door. I couldn't imagine any better meal than that; it was the ultimate. Then when we went over to an adjoining town and discovered The Choo Choo, were they delivered the burgers and fries in a basket by electric train ... it was heaven.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
But why is it that hamburgers are actually made of beef and not ham?

Please don't say because they come from Hamburg because they don't, they're an American thing.

I genuinely would like to know.

Regards,

Jay. ?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But why is it that hamburgers are actually made of beef and not ham?

Please don't say because they come from Hamburg because they don't, they're an American thing.

I genuinely would like to know.

Regards,

Jay. ?

It's an homage to the origin.

"While the inspiration for the hamburger did come from Hamburg, the sandwich concept was invented much later. In the 19th century, beef from German Hamburg cows was minced and combined with garlic, onions, salt and pepper, then formed into patties (without bread or a bun) to make Hamburg steaks. These early burgers were considered gourmet and were quite pricey, given the quality of Hamburg beef. When German immigrants began arriving in New York and Chicago, many earned a living by opening restaurants. Menus frequently featured Hamburg steak, an Americanized version of the German offering. It was often the most expensive dish on the menu. During the Industrial Revolution, factory workers were served Hamburg steak from food carts. They proved difficult to eat while standing, so one creative cook sandwiched the meat patty between two slices of bread (the culinary innovator’s name has sadly been lost to history). The Hamburg sandwich was born, an evolution that boosted this food’s popularity all over the country."

• Love
Reactions: Simmerdown☕️
Status
Not open for further replies.