Today marks the 75th anniversary of a historic day.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
3 Fresh Bill Shalosky Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
New Cigars
12 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Seventy-five years ago today the Hindenberg crashed as docking was attempted at Lakehurst Naval Air Station in southern New Jersey. A historic day and worth remembering. The day the dirigible died.
Here is a fine series of photographs for you to look upon and ruminate.
image.jpg

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
That was a tragic event not only for the people involved but the future of air ships.

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Truly terrible. I know I would love to take a trip in a dirigible of the Hindenburg's size and beauty. I do sometimes wonder why somebody out there hasn't made a replica of it. I have no doubt that people would pay to get inside it even if it was just the gondola but they would pay even better to go in the air I'm sure.

docrx

Jan 9, 2011
I'm very close to Lakehurst Naval Base which is a pretty cool place to visit. There is a big Hindenburg memorial there. I'm sure there is a service there today that commemorates the tragic fiery crash.http://www.flickr.com/photos/inspirationalimages/3949616814/ There are about 200 survivers and eye witnesses to the crash that gather each year. It is still not known what actually caused the crash. It was an evening with thunderstorms in the area which may have ignited a hydrogen gas leak or some believe an engine blew igniting the hydrogen gas.

docrx

Jan 9, 2011
http://www.APP.com/videonetwork/1616015008001/75th-Anniversary-of-the-Hindenburg-Disaster-5-6-12-

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Oh the humanity! I've always wondered if it was really just an accident. Lots of murky details...like so many other things, we'll never know for sure.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
My dad works at lakehurst naval air station. The Hindenburg hangar is still there, its so big that on days that its humid out, clouds can form inside and it can rain even when its sunny outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.