PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Rock3r4life

Lurker
Apr 10, 2021
Illinois
New to pipes but not tobacco; I have a fairly tasteful aromatic right now but I am curious how many smoke the baccy for the baccy ie unflavored pipe smokin; I was considering picking up a tin of American Spirit RYO and smoking that in my pipe. Questions, comments, concerns?

And I used to roll my own 'spirits back in the day.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Smoke some RYO if you want, but, there is a whole world of 'natural'/non-aromatic blends out there.

If you want something smokey/campfire, looking into English blends or blends that contain Latakia.

If you want 'pure tobacco', some of my favorites would be Mac Baren HH Burley Flake, Sutliff Virginia Slices, Cornell and Diehl Yorktown ...huge rabbit holes to go down with Virginia and Burley blends -the tobacco locator on smokingpipes.com is really useful.

Good luck!

Rock3r4life

Lurker
Apr 10, 2021
Illinois
Smoke some RYO if you want, but, there is a whole world of 'natural'/non-aromatic blends out there.

If you want something smokey/campfire, looking into English blends or blends that contain Latakia.

If you want 'pure tobacco', some of my favorites would be Mac Baren HH Burley Flake, Sutliff Virginia Slices, Cornell and Diehl Yorktown ...huge rabbit holes to go down with Virginia and Burley blends -the tobacco locator on smokingpipes.com is really useful.

Good luck!
Would ryo tobacco have a similar/the same effect as pipe tobacco? I realize they're both tobacco and whatnot, but different in the means with which they are meant to be ingested.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Would ryo tobacco have a similar/the same effect as pipe tobacco? I realize they're both tobacco and whatnot, but different in the means with which they are meant to be ingested.
It's all leaf, so it's going to have a similar effect ..however, I can say there are bulk blends out there that are not super pricey (tho more than ryo), that are just, probably, better -tho I am hesitant to say because I haven't smoked a lot of RYO. I know RYO usually is cut thin and burns fast, but I am not sure it wouldn't taste decent.

Something like Sutliff Virginia Slices can be really affordable and is a real straightforward tobacco -others will have good suggestions too, but, I think that's a good place to start.

Reactions: ofafeather

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I agree with KG in full, no need for the spirit... American Spirit is a very esteemed natural cigarette tobacco, but pipe tobacco is made for pipes...

Like KG said there are worlds of natural tobacco non-aro, that many smoke. English (Smoky), Virginia (sweet), Burley (nutty), just make sure it isn’t listed as aromatic, aka flavoured.

Rock3r4life

Lurker
Apr 10, 2021
Illinois
I agree with KG in full, no need for the spirit... American Spirit is a very esteemed natural cigarette tobacco, but pipe tobacco is made for pipes...

Like KG said there are worlds of natural tobacco non-aro, that many smoke. English (Smoky), Virginia (sweet), Burley (nutty), just make sure it isn’t listed as aromatic, aka flavoured.
I actually was growing some Virginia 'baccy way back when: then I moved and had my buddy "take care of it in the meantime" and apparently it just u'pn vanished! Haven't tried being a herbalist since then. Minus some Repear and Ghost i grew (with my green thumbed grams help) for delici yum yums.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
There are so many pipe tobacco blends that are excellent and exceed spirit RYO. You can put whatever in your pipe and it will burn, but the best smokes you'll have in a pipe are from premium aged pipe tobaccos. They are not intended for inhaling and will knock you out if you do(mileage may vary). Way more tobacco hit to your lungs. If you want strength in pipe tobacco there are blends that will make you sweat ? Happy Smoking and Welcome

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I actually was growing some Virginia 'baccy way back when: then I moved and had my buddy "take care of it in the meantime" and apparently it just u'pn vanished! Haven't tried being a herbalist since then. Minus some Repear and Ghost i grew (with my green thumbed grams help) for delici yum yums.
Lol, I’d imagine there are other forums for “yum yum”?

smokingpipes.com has all you need and they deliver. Amphora is a good price and you can get all types with them.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
After reading these posts, I went and got my pint jar of Native American "Spirit" and loaded a bowl. For my money and time--it's okay. I won't buy it again. I get more flavor from so many others. I bought it out of curiousity after running across the brand in a novel (forget which one) and wanted to try it. I enjoyed reading all the posts above. I didn't get the one about the yum yums--I'm kinda slow! Really.

Rock3r4life

Lurker
Apr 10, 2021
Illinois
Lol, I’d imagine there are other forums for “yum yum”?

smokingpipes.com has all you need and they deliver. Amphora is a good price and you can get all types with them.
Clicked it and it looks wonderful, much appreciated, but I feel like a 15 yr old dunce going to a Ferrari dealer I have to idea what is what and what makes it "better"

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
rolling tobacco smokes off in a pipe. It's not the same. Disappointment lies down that road. But I'd say aromatics are probably the least popular tobaccos with the kinds of people that go on forums to talk about it. That said aromatics are kind of awesome but really most of what I smoke isn't really aromatic.

Reactions: rushx9

Rock3r4life

Lurker
Apr 10, 2021
Illinois
rolling tobacco smokes off in a pipe. It's not the same. Disappointment lies down that road. But I'd say aromatics are probably the least popular tobaccos with the kinds of people that go on forums to talk about it. That said aromatics are kind of awesome but really most of what I smoke isn't really aromatic.
Well, my lane limited rlp-6 is quite fragrant and not to bad of a smoke, but what can I say I'm new and that's my first. I was Googling "best pipe tobacco" and that's what came up; I'm not disappointed but it's a wee bit too "fru_fru" for my liking. I have liked the good ol fashioned tobacco goodness in my past, and smoking an ryo doesn't sound "horrible" just sounds like it isn't ideal.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Well, my lane limited rlp-6 is quite fragrant and not to bad of a smoke, but what can I say I'm new and that's my first. I was Googling "best pipe tobacco" and that's what came up; I'm not disappointed but it's a wee bit too "fru_fru" for my liking. I have liked the good ol fashioned tobacco goodness in my past, and smoking an ryo doesn't sound "horrible" just sounds like it isn't ideal.
There are so many pipe tobaccos out there. And the idea of any of them being the best is insane. You'll find plenty of blends that aren't so candy to enjoy.

Rock3r4life

Lurker
Apr 10, 2021
Illinois
oh by the way it might be the forum that is doing this... But when I read your screen name I imagine a charity rock a thon of a bunch of old men spending days on end in their rocking chairs. I think it's the forum that makes my mind turn it that way.
Nah it's like a stupid play on "Rocker for life" and has been my SN for as long as I can remember.

Reactions: anotherbob

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
It doesn’t hurt to try it RYO, at the end of the day it’s what u like. I started breaking up cigars putting them in a homemade pipe till I bought my first backy pouch... But as mentioned above there is a whole world of natural pipe tobacco.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
It's so weird to not be able to recommend Prince Albert or Carter Hall to a beginner anymore. What has the world come to?
I've smoked Spirit in a pipe when I first started. Beautiful RYO, but burns hot, sharp and acidic in a pipe. Bugler is surprisingly much better, and some "pipe cut" ryo isn't altogether terrible, but as far as natural tobacco goes, you can't beat a good Flake or Ready Rubbed pipe tobacco.
Honestly tho, try some Sir Walter Raleigh, possibly the last OG OTC standing. Unless you hate licorice.. it's still available in grocery stores around here.
You can get your feet wet with crossovers like Revelation Match/Epiphany (remakes of Einstein's fav), Lane HGL, or Sutliff Aromatic English.
...Or dive into the deep end with a classic English blend like Standard Mixture, My Mixture 965, or Early Morning Pipe.
*Also, consider perusing the monthly What Are You Smoking threads to see what all the heavy smokers are keeping in rotation. Constant inspiration for P/TAD.