Tobaccos with the Best Taste (and Smell If Possible)?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Former Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ml23

Lurker
May 14, 2012
Hello,
I was just wondering if there are blends of tobacco out there that both smell good and taste good. I seem to hear the rule of thumb that if it smells good it tastes lousy and vice versa. While smell is somewhat important, obviously taste takes precedence so what tobaccos taste really good to you guys?
Thanks,
Michael

terry

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
molte dolce, no bite delight, and butter berry...just for starters. :puffy:

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
G&H Ennerdale, my wife always comments on the aroma when I smoke this, and it's a great smoke, a good blend between a aromatic and a English.

anduril8

Lurker
May 10, 2012
My current favorite is Orlik Golden Sliced. Tastes so creamy and sweet to me but not overly sweet. A bit peppery and spicy in the beginning as well. The tin aroma is almost honey like or maybe a bit more mild like, Agave nectar and hay. People are 50/50 on the room note, some ask if I'm smoking a vanilla blend others think it smells like cigarettes.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
That's actually a tough question for me because I like a wide range of stuff. If you like the smell of Latakia, Magnum Opus has a dynamite taste to go with it. If you like some spice, Sextant by GL Pease is amazing aroma-wise and good and spicy, taste-wise. MacBaren HH Mature Virginia is superb if you can find any, as well as their Navy Flake. For VaPers, I really like Escudo, but I do like the spice Perique adds.

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
For aromatics, I would choose Molte Dulce as well.
Non-aromatics, I love the smell and taste of Black House from Hearth & Home.

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
I think Hobbits Weed from Tewksbury&Company tastes and smells great it is quickly becoming one of my favorite tobaccos.It is a aromatic.Much like Baron I smoke a wide variety I like to try it all lol.

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
When you say smell, are you talking about the way the tobacco smells i.e. in the tin or when burning? The "room note" part of pipe tobacco reviews always interests me as with cigar smoke, there are definitely different smells with different brands/blends of leaf but there is usually never a "smell" part in a review. To me, smell would be just as subjective as taste. I"m still fairly new to the pipe tobacco world, I know what I've liked and didn't really care for, but I'm not at a place where I can break things down in detail.
Pipe smoke in general as far as smell goes, to me is much sweeter than cigar smoke. That being said, I love good cigar smoke and the sweeter pipe smoke. While I don't' mind the fruity smelling tobacco's, I definitely prefer tobacco's that smell like.. yes tobacco.
What I don't' like in both is when they start smelling like dirty tobacco or cigarettes. Its rare with cigars to smell like cigarettes but I've seen more of it in descriptions of pipe tobacco. I go to my pipe more for a change of pace from my cigars so I prefer something softer and smoother with a smell which is along the same lines. So far, I've been a fan of Stonehaven, BlackHouse and have really liked Crooked Lane. G1

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Lane 1Q tastes good, and has a pleasing room note. Best of all, it's easy to find at almost any B&M either under that name, or re-branded under their own name brand.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
I am another who smokes a wide variety and everything I smoke smells and tastes good to me.

I would say Halfling's Leaf is one that both tastes and smells great. For something sweet, Molto Dolce is very good. Plum Pudding is great as well. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.