PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I thought, it would be a good idea to start a database of tobaccos that leave their mark in pipes. There are actually a few I refuse to smoke from my briar because of how they do. One of which, I didn't realize until I switched from the cob. So, what tobaccos have you ran into that become stubborn ghosts? I want to hear the rough ones, that can't be smoked out in a few bowls.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Here are my discoveries in decreasing order or magnitude...but they all stay in with fury.
Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Louisiana Perique Flake

Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake

Out of Office Gone Fishin'

Bjarne Viking Erik The Red

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No problem with Condor here either. Still, haven't met a ghost yet that couldn't be exorcised with HH Latakia Flake.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Mixture 79 for sure. I smoke it often and that's why I have cobs & briars dedicated to that blend only. I smoke C&D's Autumn Evening quite often, especially around Christmas, both in cobs & briars and haven't noticed any ghosting.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I find that anything cherry will ghost my pipes. I don't smoke it often, but have a couple of pipes dedicated to it.

Stronger Lakeland blends like Ennerdale get dedicated pipes too. Otherwise I don't have a problem with ghosting, that smoking another tobacco won't take care of.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Link to the new thread opposite this. For those friendly light footed guests. Will get both sides :)

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
GL Pease Sextant hangs around, surprisingly.

C&D Golden Days of Yore, although some Briar Fox And Elizabethean Mixture may bust it.

Ennerdale

McBaren PlumCake

Orlik Racing Green although can be busted/ McBaren Modern Virginia should be smoked in your Orlik Racing Green Pipe

Elizabethan Mixture Fresh out of the tin leaves a bit of a ghost that I've noticed.

1792 Flake

Grasmere Flake

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Elizabethan leaves a ghost, but didn't seem to effect much. Though the smell in mine is almost like an ash tray despite proper cleaning.
I smoke C&D's Autumn Evening quite often, especially around Christmas, both in cobs & briars and haven't noticed any ghosting.
ray47- I smoked half a bowl out of my new Savinelli during a ridiculous impulse as it was one of two pipes I had with me. It took 8 bowls of my break in tobacco to dent it, and 1 decent alcohol cleaning. Luckily I noticed it mellowed today. It may be where I don't care for it and it's new to me, my tastes pick it up easily, but it certainly hit it quick.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
The thread isn't a comment directly on the "taste" of the ghost, just more of the strength and potency of it. A ghost can be beneficial in a dedicated pipe. A broken in pipe, infused with the essence of a favorite smoke....glorious :lol:
As for your post warren; you made me realize a spelling error made over the past few days in several posts. A little embarrassed that even knowing better I have been spelling palate as palette. I blame the special art program in high school along with the Sleepless Knights. I spelled the correct Knights....they stand on the other side of my mote, keeping me awake.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Warren-With Brotherly Love-As far as we are concerned, your opinion isn't strong enough for us to care :rofl:

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
H&H Frenchy's Sunzabitches seems to be leaving it's mark. A bourbon infused pipe isn't a bad thing though :)

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
GL Pease BarBary Coast doesn't ghost. In fact OLd Joe Krantz and BarBary Coast switch off, is common sense. I don't know why I brought that up. I guess I was telling the world for the reluctant buyer of BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.