Tobaccos from Estervals That Are A Must Try?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I'm planning on making a purchase from Estervals.
I've got some blends that I think I will like and I know they are quality as all the rave from previous posts.

What are some blends that are an absolute MUST ORDER to get the full experience?
So far I've got

Richmond Navy Cut x5
AL Makhuwa x1
Krater Plug x1
Sunset Flake x1
Dockworker Flake x1
Nashville County x1

I want to make the order worth while due to shipping so I need to add some blends.

Also, has anyone had problems with the shipping. After doing some searches here on the forum, it seems that some people have had the packages not delivered and marked as "Return to Sender" even though nothing was wrong with the address. Just wondering as I would have it delivered to my house in the states as I am out of the country. I will however have someone at the house to pick it up.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
HU Fayyum and Zulu, HU Directors Cut, HU Louisiana Broken, Dan Tobacco St. Bernard Flake and Salty Dogs, Meistermischung No. 88, and many more.

Plenty of SG and Rattrays selection as well, and great deals on bulk capstan, as well as huge savings on Vauen pipes.

Never had an issue with shipping or customs, other than that it takes a while (3 to 8 weeks) and the tracking goes dark for a while in the middle. All normal for an Esterval’s order.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
If you are a fan of Capstan, Reiner Long Golden Flake or Solani 633 they are half the price (the last time I checked). Along with all of the excellent HU tobaccos.

I had no problem with shipping other than the standard few weeks wait time.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I had a long, glorious list of must-haves from Esterval's. Sadly I had to cut several in order to keep the purchase at around $300. Unless you're going "Full Monty" I'd start prioritizing your list.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've looked over their site and have yet to be tempted. There's too much available in the state's for me to risk a returned order.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I would not repeat order anything I've tried. They have a great selection, but you are not really missing anything. Sam G would motivate me over the HU.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Looking at what you're already getting, I'd say definitely go for some Director's Cut, and Louisiana Broken. K&K Meistermischung #88 is the best Red Va flake I've ever tasted. As others have mentioned, they have bulk Capstan Navy Flake at an unbeatable price. If you like Balkand, Fayyum Kake is one of the best, kind of like a pressed 759. If you like freakydeaky Irish and Lakeland aromatics; Sissinghurst, Elwoods #2, and DTM Shamrock are like candy! If you're really feeling brave they may have some Holly's Nonplus Ultra.... [warning: smoke at your own risk]

• Love
Reactions: BROBS and greeneyes

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Looking at what you're already getting, I'd say definitely go for some Director's Cut, and Louisiana Broken. K&K Meistermischung #88 is the best Red Va flake I've ever tasted. As others have mentioned, they have bulk Capstan Navy Flake at an unbeatable price. If you like Balkand, Fayyum Kake is one of the best, kind of like a pressed 759. If you like freakydeaky Irish and Lakeland aromatics; Sissinghurst, Elwoods #2, and DTM Shamrock are like candy! If you're really feeling brave they may have some Holly's Nonplus Ultra.... [warning: smoke at your own risk]
These are a few I removed from the list, that I'll circle back and put on a subsequent order: MM#88 and Sissinghurst.

I'd also like to remark that there are long-standing members of the piping community whose opinion is highly regarded that believe that HU is the best existing manufacturer of pipe tobacco at the moment. There's certainly plenty of latitude for opinion but I have to agree resoundingly that HU is among the brands you ought to try if you're seeking out tobaccos that are better-than-average quality.

• Love
Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I also bought Germain's Mixture No.7, just to satisfy my curiosity. Apparently it's true that it was manufactured by Planta (not Germain's), but a stamp on the back clarifies that production has now passed to Mac Baren.

This should be interesting. Smells like cough syrup.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I'd also like to remark that there are long-standing members of the piping community whose opinion is highly regarded that believe that HU is the the best existing manufacturer of pipe tobacco at the moment.
HU blends are made by K&K and DTM. With K&K also producing Rattray's and McConnell's as well as their own house label, I'd certainly place them in the same league as the Gawiths and Germain's. For me at least, that is the top tier of tobacco producers. I'd place DTM in league with the Danish manufacturers, but give them an edge for making lots of really interesting aros.
Also, when I say #88 is the best Red Flake I've ever smoked, I have to add that it's the polar opposite of something like Carolina Red Flake. It's a bit more like Hamborger Veermaster meets Capstan, but a little more sugarcane and sweet tea, the typical red fruity notes and a just a slight hint of tanginess. Pillow soft. I don't want to say better than McC, but... it's every bit as good without trying to emulate them in any way. If you really like CRF you might think it's not edgy enough.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
These are a few I removed from the list, that I'll circle back and put on a subsequent order: MM#88 and Sissinghurst.

I'd also like to remark that there are long-standing members of the piping community whose opinion is highly regarded that believe that HU is the best existing manufacturer of pipe tobacco at the moment. There's certainly plenty of latitude for opinion but I have to agree resoundingly that HU is among the brands you ought to try if you're seeking out tobaccos that are better-than-average quality.
If I could go back and redo my last order it would be the 2 pound boxes of Capstan as I did get... and about 10 more tins of Meistermischung 88.

• Love
Reactions: rushx9

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
HU blends are made by K&K and DTM. With K&K also producing Rattray's and McConnell's as well as their own house label, I'd certainly place them in the same league as the Gawiths and Germain's. For me at least, that is the top tier of tobacco producers. I'd place DTM in league with the Danish manufacturers, but give them an edge for making lots of really interesting aros.
Also, when I say #88 is the best Red Flake I've ever smoked, I have to add that it's the polar opposite of something like Carolina Red Flake. It's a bit more like Hamborger Veermaster meets Capstan, but a little more sugarcane and sweet tea, the typical red fruity notes and a just a slight hint of tanginess. Pillow soft. I don't want to say better than McC, but... it's every bit as good without trying to emulate them in any way. If you really like CRF you might think it's not edgy enough.
DTM is so much worse than the Danish mfg tobacco IMO. The DTM made HU blends I tried.. I won’t say they sucked but they weren’t the top.

their aros are overdone IMO.

not that they aren’t good. They are just kind of like that gaudy old fellow.

Nashville County is not a tobacco I would order.

• Haha

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’ll add that from now on if I order an HU tobacco I’m gonna be damn sure it’s made by K&K.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC

Time for another game of:
gay-or-european-1200x707.png

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.