PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
I have a coworker going to Leeds for business next week. He’s amicable to buy me some tobacco and bring it back. What are some blends I should request? He passes a B&M in Leeds when he’s there. I don’t know how far $100US goes there but that’s my budget.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
I’d ask for condor long cut (flake) and germain’s rich dark flake (stonehaven) or 1820 flake (penzance) of it were up to me. The 1820 flake is only in bulk though. Might smell up his luggage. Look on GQ tobacco to get uk pricing. Usually £15 per tin

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I’d ask for condor long cut (flake) and germain’s rich dark flake (stonehaven) or 1820 flake (penzance) of it were up to me. The 1820 flake is only in bulk though. Might smell up his luggage. Look on GQ tobacco to get uk pricing. Usually £15 per tin

Germain's RDF is not Stonehaven. I guess I can see why people would find them similar but to me, not that much.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I am not sure what tobacconist he is thinking of but Freens closed last year?
they were a traditional tobacconist.They do still offer online ordering with 24 hour delivery so you could order and have delivered if it fits your timescales

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
Also worth remembering that almost every newsagent (small shop) and supermarket in the UK has a license to sell tobacco and while its not 'on display' and the range will be limited they will all have the popular OTC stuff

You'll be very lucky to find any pipe tobacco in a newsagents these days. Bigger supermarkets tend to have condor and St.Bruno.

You can get SG Plugs in the UK but not the US, like St.James plug or FV plug.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I think anything available in England will be available in the rest of the UK.

I don't know if Mick McQuaid tobacco is found outside of Ireland and the UK.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Try Sainsbury's Super Market they will have Condor, St Bruno, Clan and Gold Block. Newsagents are a bit disappointing these days since the 'Tobacco Stasi' have made simple working mans pleasures non P.C these days.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Germain's RDF is not Stonehaven. I guess I can see why people would find them similar but to me, not that much.
They are close enough to compare. Same unique topping but slightly different. Rdf to me is great fresh, as I find stonehaven needs to age. I treat them as the esoterica match blends for the uk market.

Reactions: jpberg
Jun 9, 2018
England
Revor Plug
Walnut/Original Flake
Gawith Westmorland Slices
Gawith reunion Bourbon Flake
Gawith reunion Perique Flake No. 27
The Gawith Hoggarth Seasonal Reserve Christmas Mixture 2019 is still around if you like the idea of a cherry & almond aromatic. It's very nice, it tastes like cherry flavoured marzipan (well to me anyway)
RB Plug which is a dark Virginia with a sort of gingerbread topping

Reactions: artvandelay007

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I'd make my purchases from one of the many USA vendors of current production tobacco - especially the ones who are sponsors on this website. You'll pay a lot more by getting tobacco from almost every other country out there. We may complain about the USA (and often with good reason), but just ask those outside the USA what kind of taxes they are having to pay to get pipe tobacco and it'll help you realize that USA purchasing is a whole lot less expense and you get more variety, too. There are very few tobaccos exclusive to England that you can't get over here.

Reactions: artvandelay007

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
They are close enough to compare. Same unique topping but slightly different. Rdf to me is great fresh, as I find stonehaven needs to age. I treat them as the esoterica match blends for the uk market.
I agree to a point, and will add that after you’ve smoked a couple pounds of each, you’ll notice that each batch of each blend varies enough that you’re not sure of anything anymore.
In the mid to late nineties, I couldn’t have told you the difference between the two.

Reactions: canadianpuffer
Status
Not open for further replies.