PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Anyone know of any coupon codes available for tobacco pipes.com? Really looking to purchase a new pipe but can't pull the trigger with out a discount :(

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All I know for you to do is to fish around on Google. Often, despite come-ons, there aren't any coupons for particular retailers. tobaccopipes.com has free shipping in the U.S., so you may already have that discount. They are good on prices, but be sure to comparison shop. Look at Iwan Ries customer appreciation sale on now through Friday for an extra 15% off most pipes including estate pipes, and 50% off MSRP on select pipes. If you are not settled on one pipe, you might find something good. Falcon pipes are 15% off their regular price, for example. IR pricing tends to be good, based (it would appear) on their actual cost rather than increased just to match the current market.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
I'm looking for a Savinelli 316 KS or EX. The EX is just a larger version of the KS. That's the pipe I'm looking for specifically. Funny thing is that I did pull the trigger on one at pipesandcigars.com because it was in stock two weeks ago. But once the order was processed it said it was on back order so I had to cancel it. Now, I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger again on the ones offered by tobacco pipes.com. I've also noticed that not many shops are selling the ex version.

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Hey Hakychuma (full disclosure, I work for TobaccoPipes.com). We have free shipping in the US and a low-price guarantee, so we'll match the price of any other USA-based website you find it on. We don't have a sale on these right now and probably won't until after the holidays. However, we are having a Flash Sale on Rossi's (shh...don't tell :D) on Thursday. These are made by Savinelli, already a slightly lower price point and have a few similar shapes. You might check those and see if you find a good fit.
Hope that helps!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
So you will sell product at less than MSRP AND price-match anyone AND give free shipping.....but do you have any discounts?
We're all still looking for that elusive "free pipe" coupon. It's part of the American Dream.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
I'm almost convinced that you could get someone to pay a higher price for an item as long as they had a "coupon" to redeem for the item. JC Penneys for example.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I think it happens all the time. Raise prices, offer coupon. There's a reason that the phrase "There's a sale at Penneys!" was part of comedy in the 1980s and used to symbolize background noise.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Then a couple years ago they tried to do away with the sales/coupon game and just have everyday low prices. They lost a third of their business. Articles were written about JC Penney shoppers that knew they were paying lower prices everyday without the coupons, and they complained and said they would rather play the coupon game even if it meant higher prices.

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Yeah, we do sales every few weeks, but almost always on specific pipes/lines. We rarely do blanket coupons. Since we just had a site-wide Labor Day Sale we probably won't have another sitewide sale until at least Spring.
And yes, from years in retail and ecommerce I can tell you that people will often pay more if they have a coupon and don't think about true cost. It seems to be directly correlated to the price of an item. The more expensive something is, the less the buyer tries to get a discount. But getting into that would be lots of digressing into psychology.
Since we're discussing it anyway, I think it might be worth stating that almost all of the pipe retailers I know are always trying to give the best price, while still making enough profit to take care of their employees, etc. This isn't a market where retailers are generally trying to get one over on the consumer. If that's the business we wanted to be in, we'd be selling clothes or electronics. Trust me, the margins are WAY better. :)

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
One of my B&M customers is a Mercedes salesman. He said the unhappiest customers that come back and complain are the ones that haggle haggle haggle and actually get what they were asking for!

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
@pipeandleaf my partner is a car salesman and he says the same thing. I don't know about you, but I think there is some satisfaction in having a fair exchange. I don't take any pleasure in getting one over on someone, no matter if I'm the buyer or the seller. Paying a fair price and making a fair profit are both happy places for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.