PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
I have a friend traveling to Amsterdam in a few weeks and I'm writing to ask if anyone knows of any pipe tobacco shops there that carry blends that are hard to find here in the states, and if so, what blends would you recommend? My friend offered to pick up a couple of tins for me. Thanks very much.

pinchoftobacco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2018
sorry I read your post quick

There are several great shops in Amsterdam Netherlands, my favorite is a small shop with a pipe museum above it. The museum is incredible, so much pipe history.

When I was there I toured a few shops with intentions to buy a few tins but didn’t end up seeing any blends I’d consider rare.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
sorry I read your post quick

There are several great shops in Amsterdam Netherlands, my favorite is a small shop with a pipe museum above it. The museum is incredible, so much pipe history.

When I was there I toured a few shops with intentions to buy a few tins but didn’t end up seeing any blends I’d consider rare.
Thanks for the info!

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
Reactions: romaso

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Hajenus is the one to visit, the largest most grandiose tobacconist I've seen. There used to be an extremely attractive, strapping brunette who'd take you into their blending room & invite you to sniff her jugs....of various tobaccos. She'd then after making several suggestions, conjur up your own bespoke blend. I wouldn't of said they're unfriendly there, quite direct people the Dutch are, just their way.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Hajenus is the one to visit, the largest most grandiose tobacconist I've seen. There used to be an extremely attractive, strapping brunette who'd take you into their blending room & invite you to sniff her jugs....of various tobaccos. She'd then after making several suggestions, conjur up your own bespoke blend. I wouldn't of said they're unfriendly there, quite direct people the Dutch are, just their way.

This last part is exactly what I meant by "not the friendliest." Dutch and German folk, in my experience, are cut from a rather efficient and direct cloth. Way different than the ball-tickling your average person on holiday expects from their chosen resort staff. That's why I've always had a good time with the Dutch and Deutsche - no fussing around! Right to business! Oktoberfest is beautiful!

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
Looks like that might still be an option: P.G.C. Hajenius Exclusieve Sigarenwinkel - My own blend - https://www.hajenius.com/en/8-nieuws/28-my-own-blend-en

I was actually pondering the same question recently as I've a friend who lives in Amsterdam who should be over soon & I was hoping to pick up some unobtainable in the UK tobacco. Very annoyingly their pipe tobacco selection is only available in Dutch: P.G.C. Hajenius Exclusieve Sigarenwinkel - Pijptabak - https://www.hajenius.com/nl/webshop/categorieen/categorie/pijptabak?limit=0&limitstart=

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Looks like that might still be an option: P.G.C. Hajenius Exclusieve Sigarenwinkel - My own blend - https://www.hajenius.com/en/8-nieuws/28-my-own-blend-en

I was actually pondering the same question recently as I've a friend who lives in Amsterdam who should be over soon & I was hoping to pick up some unobtainable in the UK tobacco. Very annoyingly their pipe tobacco selection is only available in Dutch: P.G.C. Hajenius Exclusieve Sigarenwinkel - Pijptabak - https://www.hajenius.com/nl/webshop/categorieen/categorie/pijptabak?limit=0&limitstart=
You're not missing out on anything. Apart from a few Dutch shags it's all MacBarens & STG product. Still a must though if you're ever in Amsterdam. Beautiful old tobacconists.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
You're not missing out on anything. Apart from a few Dutch shags it's all MacBarens & STG product. Still a must though if you're ever in Amsterdam. Beautiful old tobacconists.
I realized that after perusing their site. With the exception of their shags and few house blends, it seems that their selection isn't as full of as many hard to find tobacco as I imagined. One day maybe I will visit. Thanks.

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
I was pretty disappointed! I was hoping that they might at least stock something like HH Burley, but hey ho!

It's definitely made my list though for when I'm next over there.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Hajenus is the one to visit, the largest most grandiose tobacconist I've seen. There used to be an extremely attractive, strapping brunette who'd take you into their blending room & invite you to sniff her jugs....of various tobaccos. She'd then after making several suggestions, conjur up your own bespoke blend. I wouldn't of said they're unfriendly there, quite direct people the Dutch are, just their way

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Hi from a Dutchman! Hajenius has been mentioned. If were talking pipe tobacco we must disappoint your friend; there is zero to none interesting stuff here, mainly STG and Macbarren stuff, HU stuff doesnt make it here. There are some My Own Blend offerings which are largely aromatic.

Offcourse there are LcdH and Habanos Certified sellers which might have a interesting selection. To bad lounges have been closed from 1.1.2022, smoking inside anything (even a tobaccoshop) else than your house is banned. If I may give another suggestion let him visit www.cigaragua.nl for cigars, its near the LcdH in the Van Baerlestraat. Really interesting shop with only a Nicaraguan selection of cigars, but still one of the biggest selections of the country. I don't think it has a larger offering than you can get in the USA though.

This last part is exactly what I meant by "not the friendliest." Dutch and German folk, in my experience, are cut from a rather efficient and direct cloth. Way different than the ball-tickling your average person on holiday expects from their chosen resort staff. That's why I've always had a good time with the Dutch and Deutsche - no fussing around! Right to business! Oktoberfest is beautiful!

Thank you for your kind words I guess ?. Joking aside, you indeed generally get a straight to the point attitude, but this also depends in what region you are. When visiting the larger cities in the West (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, Utrecht) people can seem a little snobbistic, which is more to be understood as your described straight the point and efficient way. Going the Eastern and Southern part you can expect a more friendly approach I have experienced when visiting on holiday. You could even say the Southern part is almost equivalent to the American Southern Hospitality mentality.