PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Pecks stash is so impressive!! Well written article!! I shall continue with my tobacco acquisitions, be it rational or not :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a measured and sensible take, to my mind. I think there will be a lot of curves in the road as these regulations are implemented, and not all of them have to be at the expense of pipes and tobacco, so it is likely that at least some delays, regulation changes, and contravening legislation will go toward a less draconian approach. Perhaps I am shouting into the wind, but I still think there is an argument to be made for pipe smoking as a social activity, certainly moreso than cigarettes. Guys in general are less sociable than women, and guys over sixty become even less sociable. Tobacco pipes give them some common ground without overmuch controversy. Is it healthier to have a pipe bowl of tobacco and chat than to be smoke free and isolated? If that study is done at some distant future date, the sociability will win. No doubt.

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
@MSO489; "pipe smoking as a social activity, certainly moreso than cigarettes"
You are wise beyond your years young man....
EPA ETS 93 has a line about pipe smokers living longer then non smokers, you may be onto something.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Fine article. And I hope peck has enough staff to keep the dust off those nice shelves!
PS I think that's just the lesser stuff he has to ward burglars away from the real collection behind steel doors....

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke, and you may like the people around you even more.
Our society in its craze for "health" has forgotten how normal, life-affirming and excellent it is to have things like strong beer, pipe tobacco, fireworks, shotguns, and erotica.
FFS bring back "let the good times roll."

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Fred Brown has a cool head, a steady hand, and a level view... good for all of us methinks. And along mso's wonderful observations, I just recently entered the +60 club and generally seek solitude and quietude... the forum here with all these good pipe people is a lovely island of peaceful and enjoyable pursuits in a harried and too often horrific world. Thanks to all! Let the hoarding spasm continue!!!

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Great article. I wonder, what's the absolute worst-case scenario of all this FDA business? That Captain Black becomes the only blend on the market? I could adapt.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I wonder, what's the absolute worst-case scenario of all this FDA business? That Captain Black becomes the only blend on the market?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcAYMb5uk4

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Cha Ching Cha Ching. I just saw my collection of 250 pounds plus of tobacco go up in value big time. I think it is time for me to buy another 100 pounds as an investment.
I am going to buy nothing but VA, Vaper and Vabur flakes in tins only. I don't see how it will not go up big time. Does anyone think that it won't go up?

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I think it will go up. Bet all the manufacturers are enjoying a nice rise in sales right now

May 4, 2015
Depending on what goes away. Post 2007 blends that aren't going to be manufactured anymore could have real demand.
Of course, if something has changed hands to a different manufacturer, even if it retained the same name, might not count.
I doubt everything will stand as written, but things WILL change. To what degree remains to be seen, but value of tobacco, generally speaking, will go up in my estimation.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Just put this order in.
Samuel Gawith St James Flake = 50

Capstan Blue Flake = 25

Astleys no 44 Dark Flake = 25

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls = 25

Rotary Navy Cut = 15

John Aylesbury Luxury Flake + 10

Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake =10

May 4, 2015
That qualify for free shipping or...
I certainly won't be ordering $1600 at a time, but I'll be placing some bigger orders in the very near future.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
With interest rates at all time lows and the stock market being a rigged game, I feel tobacco is going to be one of the best investments out there. The last time I bought tobacco and waited ten years to sell it, I ended up making about 24% net return for every year of the ten that I waited to sell it. That kind of return is better than anything I can find out there.
I have been doing a lot of private lending for over 10 years now which pays 14% which I am very happy with, but for an extra 10% on my money I will take another shot at it.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I'm showing my wife Harris' last purchase so she realizes just how modest a purchase of 100 tins at a time really is. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.