PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Do you guys add flavor to any of your tobaccos? I always add a touch of Jameson to Peterson's Irish Oak and I wonder how other flavors work with other tobacco. I was thinking maple syrup with a virginia blend.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Nope, never tried it, i do know a guy who would smoke perodi cigar, keep the buts, grind them in a food processor after they dried out completely, then rehydrated them by putting them in an airtight box with a humidifier and a shot glass of scotch, he would then smoke it once all the scotch had evaporated
not what you said, but interesting none the less

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Adding actual maple syrup to a straight virginia? Seriously? Does regular Virginia not burn hot ENOUGH for you?!

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Really the only one I have ever done is the whiskey in the Irish Oak. I really never had a problem with the heat of tobacco, but I smoke pretty slowly. I was thinking of mixing the syrup with water, then adding maybe 1/2 oz of the solution to tobacco and letting it dry out. Or, I could just buy a maple aromatic, I guess that would be easier. :rofl:

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
It's not so much that I don't like the tobacco as it is blended, I just like to try new things and I can't buy any more tobacco at the moment. I started adding whiskey because my grandpa used to, and I just like the way it adds flavor to that particular blend. I also have some straight virginia that I thought I would try "making" my own blend with. I guess I am just not the kind of person that can leave well enough alone. I'll let you know what happens.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I haven't tried mixing in any other ingredients to a blend, but I have tried mixing in a little of one blend in with another. Let us know what your experiments lead to - you never know, you might find the next "big thing"!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Respect the leaf... don't mess with a good thing.
Plus Virginia tobacco has lots of natural sugars. Maple syrup is ALL sugar. Sugar burns HOT. Do you remember that scene in "Alien" when the acid blood burns through the deck of the ship?

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
As BigVan said, respect the leaf. I too much enjoy the natural taste and all its variations. I leave the mixing to the professionals.....I help create jobs that way...lol. I suppose what makes this hobby so unique is the creative spirit we all bring to the table. I think pipe smokers as a rule tend to be creative, and not surprisingly, want to experiment. On the other hand, knowing my own limitations and my unrestrained potential to make something good into something horrible, I don't try too much mixing.
I say give it a try, if its good, you'll be happy, if it's bad, you wont do it again.
:puffpipe:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have used rum, whiskey, and saki, mostly with straight virginias. But only a little, and a lot of drying time afterwards.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Ah, don't listen to those nay-sayers who babble on about Virginias already being high in sugar and burning hot. They just haven't learned how to smoke a good VA or aromatic.
Not sure I'd add it to an already made blend, but if you have some blending VA around it'd be worth a try on an ounce or two. Might want to try a diluted maple syrup with a bit of whiskey. Maybe some Red Stag from Jim Beam. Great cherry flavour.

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
I say go for it Sherlock! This is supposed to be a "hobby" therefore keep things new and interesting for yourself. I'd love to be adventurous enough to do what you're suggesting, but at $50 for 100gm I'd be a little scared about creating something vile - at least you guys can afford to play & experiment.
Not sure I understand this "respect the leaf" stuff - if it was still grown on ye 'ol family plantations that only operated courtesy of their enslaved workforce, picked by slaves, processed by slaves and true blood, sweat and tears went into it, THEN I could relate to those words, but these days, pfft, give me a break

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Ah, don't listen to those nay-sayers who babble on about Virginias already being high in sugar and burning hot. They just haven't learned how to smoke a good VA or aromatic.

Saying that Virginias are high in sugar isn't being a nay-sayer; it's simply being factual. Virginias are higher in sugars than other forms of tobacco. They require a different smoking technique.
It's not so much that I don't like the tobacco as it is blended, I just like to try new things and I can't buy any more tobacco at the moment.
So you're thinking about messing around with a blend you like and possibly making it into something you don't like, when you can't buy any new blends? The logic of that escapes me, but it's your 'baccy. :puffy:

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I'm only going to do a pipe full at a time, that way if it sucks I didn't lose too much. I've smoking nearly ten years and have burnt my mouth enough times that I know how to change my puffing when the smoke is to hot. As suggested, lordofthepipe, I am using straight Virginia my first time. Ill post when my experiments are done.p.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I know Virginia has a higer sugar content and lower nicotine content. That's why it's usually paired with Burley which is the opposite to offset it. I was merely saying that the nay-sayers must not have learned yet how to properly smoke a VA blend if they complain about it being hot.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I wasn't complaining about anything, lord, or at least I didn't mean to. But it certainly doesn't need to be any HOTTER by adding maple syrup, sugar cubes, skittles, etc.
And after 23 years of pipe smoking I think I've got the hang of smoking virginias, thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.