PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mopreme187

Lurker
Oct 21, 2018
Hi, round 2 of the questions from me,
1] whats the difference between pipe tobacco, shag, flaked, rope, and ready rubbed.
2] whats the real resting time for pipes, ive read 1 hour, 2 hour, and 24 hours. do i really need 4-5 different pipes for 1 day, have different materials used in making pipes have an effect on the resting time.
3] if i decide not to finish my pipe and go back to it later, how should i prepare it, do i dump the ash then relight, or keep the ash and relight, or top up with more tobacco.
thanks in advance again

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
1. Whats different is the cut type. What you mean by Pipe tobacco maybe ribbon cut :). You can look at it here
2. As long as my pipe is cool enough, then smoke it. try cobs. If its burned, it will be cheap enough to look for a new cob
3. Don't dump the ash. Just relight. It's Delayed Gratification Technique or DGT :) Here's some other thread for the same question

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
1)
Shag

loose-cut.jpg

Flake

flake.jpg

Rope

rope-tobacco.jpg

Ready Rubbed

ready-rubbed.jpg

2)
As long as it's cool. I smoke the same pipe twice per day for a week before rotating.
3)
Run a pipe cleaner down the stem, tamp and relight.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
What can be different between a shag and a flake cut , given the same tobaccos are used in the blend .?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What can be different between a shag and a flake cut , given the same tobaccos are used in the blend .?
Shag is a finer ribbon, and flakes are slices cut off of a plug. Shag burns quite quickly and flakes can be smoked folded, broken, cube cut, and fully rubbed out. Each burning a little more quickly than the last.

mopreme187

Lurker
Oct 21, 2018
so the different cuts make the tobacco burn at different rates. so as a beginner i should try all the cuts and see whats best for me or is there a particular cut i should start with?

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I picked up flakes and plugs mostly to age
And it seems like flake and plug are nearer to my preferences and tastes

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Damn, I was thinking about responding with pictures until I saw your post, Duane. Great reply.
We aim to please. [:D]
Rope is barf. I has spokened.
Moprene, I apologize -- question #2 I can't give you an honest "me" answer, since I go from about 2 minutes to near 4-5 weeks for any given pipe. I've got a few (Italians mostly) that I like so much I may smoke the same pipe 5-6 times in succession over 8-10 hours depending on where I am & how many I've brought with me (I usually have at least 3-4 in the car somewhere.)
Bill

mopreme187

Lurker
Oct 21, 2018
this forum is great for a beginner like me, thanks again for the reply's.
I have 2 junk Pipes at the moment which are no make that i picked up online before doing my research. i tried smoking with them one has a very tight draw without it being loaded, and the other i cant even do the 3 fill method with. so im going to hold out smoking until i can order a corncob and a couple of other known makes.
im taking note of all the posts, as to the tobacco recommendations and cuts. there seems like there is alot to learn, and i want to get it right, and move from the RYO to pipe smoking for good
thanks guys and/or gals

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad smoked one pipe, most of the day, until it burnt out, and then he bought a new one. Most like to have enough pipes to let one dry out for a day or two before smoking it again, but will smoke one pipe all day ( one bowl, or however many). I have many pipes, so I tend to use a different pipe for each bowl, to keep them all in rotation. If you learn about pipes -- brands, shapes, filters or no filters, materials, etc. -- you can get great smoking out of moderately priced pipes. Higher end pipes are great, a pleasure in themselves, but not a requirement.

mopreme187

Lurker
Oct 21, 2018
My first 2 pipes im going to buy is a corncob legend and a falcon with a small bulldog bowl, mainly due to brand and style. because i really don't know what i'll like until i try.
would these be a good start, and both are not going to cost much. im going to order them, a stand, and tobacco next week, so trying to take in as much info this week as possible.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
1] There is a lot more difference in the blend genre, leaf types and curing methods than just the cut. You have some wonderful hours, weeks and years to experiment with the numerous varieties of tobacco.

2] Work with what you have. The basic idea is a cool and dry pipe provides better taste. I agree.

3] No problem re-lighting a pipe later on, sometimes it tastes fine, other times it tastes like a rotten peanut.

Status
Not open for further replies.