PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaiZen

Lurker
Feb 3, 2020
Mexico City, Mexico
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

so here is my question, I've been a smoker since a long time, so I decided to start pipe smoking I bought a Grayson pipe made of walnut wood with some hampton hand rolling tobacco in a non-specialized shop so I think I been scamed with the tobacco, here is my question, can you use hand rolling tobacco on a pipe? another question that a lot of people over the internet differs is how mucho do you need to fill the pipe? some fill it up full with 3 pinches other people says 1/2 of a pipe or 2/3 of a pipe

Last edited by a moderator:

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
I think that these tobaccos helped me with the transition from cigarettes (an ongoing process):
Nightcap
Condor
Coniston cut plug
My Mixture 965
McBaren's HH Old Dark Fired

PS, get a couple of decent pipes too.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Yes, I too suggest you get some pipe tobacco. My Mixture 965 is, indeed, a great starting point.

Reactions: DaiZen

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Guys, this man is in Mexico City. I doubt he has the selection we've access to or the ease of importing it. Until he tells us what actual pipe tobacco he can actually obtain, what's his budget, and what are his expectations, it's best not to pepper him with blends suggestions.

@DaiZen: as Paulie stated, yes, you can smoke cigarette tobacco in a pipe. I have to offer the following observation: a pipe is not the best nicotine-delivery method. Pipes are about the flavours, the ritual, the introspection, and the relaxation: they're not about the immediate nicotine fix and they have a learning curve that may be steep. A cigar would be better if nicotine effects is what you're after. Still, cigars aren't mainly about the nicotine fix either. Neither the smoke from the pipe or cigar should be inhaled. How are you sourcing your pipes and tobacco? Local shops? Online? Are there import restrictions to Mexico barring you from ordering from online retailers like smokingpipes.com or tobaccopipes.com or 4noggins?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Interesting comment @olkofri My experience is very different.

Since switching from a 40-a-day cig habit, I now intentionally choose blends with mild nicotine levels at most. [I'm glad that I did because I no longer crave]
Now I'm rather sensitive to nicotine. Even blends that are described as mild to medium nicotine levels makes my head swim if not in a small bowl.

The types of blends that you choose @DaiZen , very much depend on if you want/need a reasonable amount of nicotine or not.
A lot of blends, aromatics especially, have really low nicotine. [but very tasty]

Smoking a RYO tobacco in a pipe should give you a decent hit of Vit N.

Status
Not open for further replies.