Tobacco that Burn Like Gunpowder, Even If You Smoke Slow.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Il Cerchio Pipes
18 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
24 Fresh Barling Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
The only time I have much trouble here these days is the morning after smoking a pipe or two while drinking whiskey. That does a number on my tongue, but its usually better by the afternoon. For that reason, if I want a pipe and a whiskey together, I usually have a glass of water to sip throughout, and a small whiskey on the side to sip occasionally. I get the same problem with beer, but only to a much lesser extent, and only if I smoke quite a few pipes with quite a few beers.

The only time that's ever happened to me was when when I decided to try the prevalent advice on this forum to dry out the tobacco and pack it loose.
Ouch
Horrible
Unrepeatable

My thoughts on this are drier tobacco = firmer pack, and wetter tobacco = looser pack. Some of my most enjoyable smokes have been nearly crispy Virginias packed firmly and sipped slowly for about an hour and a half of smoking pleasure.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Did your tongue burn like a rocket? Tell us your horrible story.

I have one in mind and you?
Virginia's give me roof rash. Been attempting them every so often for years with no luck. It has to be masked by mostly burley.

Tried Amphora English last night. Thought I was going to puke and scalded the roof of my mouth. Ugh.

Think I'm done attempting to stray from my burley blends for good.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Newminster 403 holy hell! I liked the taste but it peeled the surface from my tongue.

I've never been able to smoke Gawith Medium (Golden Glow) without major bite action.

Another is C&D Opening Night. Not every time, and not every vintage. Seems random.

Reactions: JOHN72 and That Guy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't re-order any blend or single leaf that bites or burns much. My worst experiences were with two tins, one a Mac Baren blend that had "Mixture" in the name. I'm blanking on the rest of the name. I tried it fresh from the tin, after drying, cutting with other single leaf and other blends. I tried it on and off for several years, in various forms. It just wasn't going to be nice, no matter what.

The other "worst" was a Peterson aromatic holiday blend that had some kind of holiday spice flavoring, mostly intended (I think) to give off a holiday aroma, but that sent up a chemical burn that I remembered the next day. And when I brushed my teeth with peppermint toothpaste, and when I drank hot beverages.

After the holidays, I slipped that one in the trash. After that, I went to smoking all non-aromatic for a while, and even with the strongest blends, I had little problem, maybe a nip here and there, but mostly none.

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
I have a raw leaf Oriental here that you can't smoke straight by itself, it'll give you a really nasty bite. It's like the smoke has tiny shards of glass in it and every new draw comes with some new pain. I don't get regular mouth or tongue burn anymore but that leaf is just harsh. I usually associate that with too much leftover fertilizer, no idea if that's a thing with tobacco.
Anyway, it's not just the overprocessed and maltreated tobaccos that can bite.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I have a raw leaf Oriental here that you can't smoke straight by itself, it'll give you a really nasty bite. It's like the smoke has tiny shards of glass in it and every new draw comes with some new pain. I don't get regular mouth or tongue burn anymore but that leaf is just harsh. I usually associate that with too much leftover fertilizer, no idea if that's a thing with tobacco.
Anyway, it's not just the overprocessed and maltreated tobaccos that can bite.
@Chaukisch I don't want the "Clay King 👑" to give me tongue bite or burn like gunpowder:)
Hopefully I'm going to enjoy every puff of it...