PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicolassqw

Lurker
Dec 10, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

I've tried pipe smoking for the first time today, but I couldn't taste the flavor of the tobacco ( captain black cherry) it smells very nice but when I smoke it, it just tastes the same as cigarettes.
Am I misssmoking it or this is the taste of the tobacco

Last edited by a moderator:
Just starting out, you have to build a palate for flavors. It's like drinking beer for the first time. It all tastes like piss, until you start to tell the differences between one piss from another.

That said, I found the flavor in Captain Black when I started smoking slower and slower. It is the heated tobacco surrounding the cherry of the ember that gives off the flavor, not the smoke itself so much. So, smoking slower gives you more taste, not puffing harder.
But, cherry huh? puffy

Good luck. I hope that helps.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California! Pull up a chair/stool/barrel and sit a while for a smoke and a chat.
You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Just my opinion, but I had a seriously bad time with aros when I first started. They all either tasted like hot air, or ashy because I was trying to milk the flavor out by puffing like a maniac. This is a pretty common thing to do when you are starting out, but as mentioned above, is the opposite of what you actually need to do to get the most out of the pipe. Maybe try something easier going, like Carter Hall, Prince Albert, or Sir Walter Raleigh. They have less of a top note, but you'll have to worry less about technique and can focus on tasting. Heck, you can even cut your CB Cherry with one of them to cool it off a bit if you really want that cherry.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Don't expect to taste the tin note: that will come much later. Don't expect to smell the room note: that happens if you leave the room and come back in. For the time being just focus on proper packing, lighting, and cadence—so that you avoid tongue burn. Eventually, when your mouth has acclimatised to the new thing, you'll begin getting flavours: the road is smoother thereafter.

Don't lose heart. I'm no expert by any means and I have been at this only for ~27 months, but I now can taste aromatics' tin note. Heck, I can even taste cigarettes on the rare occasion I have one: they don't taste like ash, like they did before I started piping.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Good advice in here. I would second the notion that aromatics are really not very good for beginners. All a beginner is likely to get with an aromatic is the experience of hot air and maybe some vague aroma from the casings / toppings. And furthermore, aromatics might not be any good for beginners, but Captain Black Cherry probably isn't any good for anybody at all puffy

There are some good aromatics out there, but I would recommend trying them down the road after you get more accustomed to your pipes and how tobacco behaves in them. My recommended starters' blend would be Carter Hall. It's still one of my overall most-smoked blends, and I always keep some on hand. It's a burley blend with a vanilla and bourbon topping, but it's very tobacco-forward and you won't taste much besides the tobacco. It burns well no matter if it's packed a little too tight or a little too loose, and it will have a consistent and predictable taste unless smoked too hot. Essentially, it's a good basic reliable easy-to-smoke blend.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Another thing, that I had to understand, before I had my "aha-experience" was, that one does not have to produce a big amount of smoke, when smoking a pipe. I fact, one does barely see some smoke, when smoked that slow, that the tastes start to really come through.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Another thing, that I had to understand, before I had my "aha-experience" was, that one does not have to produce a big amount of smoke, when smoking a pipe. I fact, one does barely see some smoke, when smoked that slow, that the tastes start to really come through.
This was my thing at first.. I didn't really understand the concept besides producing plumes of smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The burn on cigarettes and pipes is so different, I can't taste them the same, though I've had some of the bag tobacco that is intended for either. As has been suggested, slow down, sip don't puff, and be "mindful" of tasting. I enjoy pipes without doing anything to enhance the nicotine, so that makes it different too; that is, no inhalation, retrohale, etc.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Also once you get it all down, smoke fast and then slow will help reveal flavors. I’m currently doing this with some Star of the East, the Virginia’s reveal themselves more. In the beginning just smoke the pipe to look cool. Trust me, the road of experience brings the joy of pipe smoking.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
A lot of the really interesting stuff tends to burn quite hot especially if you puff on it. If your pipe is to hot to handle then slow down. Thicker cut tobacco tends to burn a lot slower and at lower temperature. If you smoke slowly you will get to appreciate the various flavors/leaf blends. Remember you are not looking to produce clouds of smoke like a hookah but small gentle wisps. Keep soldiering on and try a bunch of different blends and you will arrive at your destination eventually.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I’m actually just beginning to learn how to savour flavours, 6 months later. At first, I thought if I wasn’t blowing clouds like Smaug, I was doing something wrong. Also I find that there are a few straight Virginia blends that have a cigarette like aftertaste. It was off putting at first, but doesn’t bother me much now. After all, it’s tobacco.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Virginias are the main leaf in most cigarettes. In the US, they are blended with burleys for stregnth, but in some countries (Canada I think), the cigarettes have to be pure Virginias.
Yep, that would make perfect sense. Mind you, a few have an extremely pleasant aftertaste such as fvf. MB Virginia flake has been the most noticeable cigarette-ish tasting as far as I can tell

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

I've tried pipe smoking for the first time today, but I couldn't taste the flavor of the tobacco ( captain black cherry) it smells very nice but when I smoke it, it just tastes the same as cigarettes.
Am I misssmoking it or this is the taste of the tobacco
I'm a newbie too, about a year or so, but my first thought is to try a non aromatic.

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Some / many OTC aromatics have a good amount of casing and PG (propylene glycol) added. These are really hard/damn near impossible to dry. Like everyone else likely does, I fried the crapola out of my tongue looking for that cherry, vanilla or whatever taste I could smell from the opened tin. Guess what - American aeros rarely taste like they smell!
Try a lightly flavored blend like what Rattrays offers. Far less likely to bite and excellent quality tobaccos. You will find a world of difference and find the flavors you are looking for.
Almost forgot - you can try a pipe with a longer stem - smokes cooler and can be easy to get the 'sipping' down.
Remeber to SIP - NOT PUFF!
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.