PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Weaponized health insurance, not good. Next body weight, driving record, pain medicine use, social isolation, etc.etc. Pretty soon no one has health insurance. Good?

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
MEDICAL DEFINITIONS
Smoking

1. Smoking is the inhalation of the smoke of burning tobacco encased in cigarettes, pipes, and cigars.
Inhalation

1. The drawing of air or other substances into the airways and lungs.

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I have had United Healtcare for 25 consecutive years. These last couple years they continue to change who has to pay the premium. The essence of the rule hasn’t targeted just cigarette smokes for a few years now. This year it changed again to “tobacco user”. It includes all cigarettes, e-cigarettes, dig, snuff, chew, cigars, pipes...and then specifically says also tobacco use in things like hookah, pipes, bowls, etc. The only exception to these rules are if they are used 4 times a year or less for “celebratory” reasons.
Here’s the deal... I absolutely love making home blends and flakes from whole leaf, collecting and sampling many tobaccos, and then talking about it and sharing it. I literally am frequented by 5-6 ppl who stop by for their daily “smell what tobacco David has today”. The reality is I do smoke tobacco. I’ve learned the hard way that life is way less stressful if I’m honest up front.
Maybe I should start a collection jar for those who find their free sniffs therapeutic. Or even a gofundme.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Someone has to pay for all of the chronic illness caused by obesity and toxicity in food, water and air.
Tobacco users have been chosen.
And no, unfortunately you can't write it off as a charitable contribution.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I have been shopping for life insurance but have been quoted rates at 3-4 times the 'preferred' amount because I reported occasional pipe use. If anyone knows a good company that wouldn't try to fleece me let me know. Otherwise I will put my premiums into a 401k for my kids, that way they actually have something to show for it in 20 years. Assuming I am not one of the 4 out of 10000 people who have an accidental death. FYI I smoke my pipe probably 20 times a year so it really is occasional. And lying about it is a stupid idea. They will find any reason they can to deny your claim.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
If your post has been edited out or deleted, don't panic, it was me. No politics gentlemen. I don't want to get 'the most thread closing mod of the month' title.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
We've been down this road of discussing insurance and smoking before. I don't know how closely you've been following the situation in the United States in the last decade, Javan, but within that time, health insurance has become 100% politicized. 100%. So even though it relates directly to pipe smokers, discussing health insurance now IS discussing politics. We are going to need a ruling, I guess. Are we allowed to discuss it, or not? Once again, I reiterate: health insurance in the U.S. is now 100% politicized. INSURANCE = POLITICS. There's no such thing as being a little bit pregnant, and there is no such thing as discussing U.S. healthcare and only touching on politics a little bit.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Folks: The OP posted two questions:
Is anyone else seeing their surcharge skyrocket? Or, do you even have a surcharge?
I'm confident we can answer them without bringing politics into the thread If not,this thread goes the way of the dodo.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
'm confident we can answer them without bringing politics into the thread. If not, this thread goes the way of the dodo.
Wisely said, and I apologize if I've done anything to bring this thread off-topic.
My insurance doesn't charge a premium for tobacco usage because I'm in the military, and we have a form of single-payer healthcare (one of the perks, I guess). My private life insurance does however.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Al, I don't think we would ever see an answer in the format of "No. No." or "No. Yes". If people bring this up, we know where it's going to go. I just would like to know if this is something we can even put on the table. You may have noticed my lack of participation in this thread; it's because I don't want to break rules, but I can't possibly give two-word answers to questions like that.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
It’s not lying when it’s none of their business. Has the Doctor asked you if you have fire arms? Or have they asked you If your kids wear bicycle helmets when at the Pediatrician? It’s none of their business. But you have to do what you are comfortable with.
+1 MSO

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Mine hasn’t gone up in the last couple of years. I love a fight with city hall, but not with my insurance. I answer the questions honestly, and pay the price.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@aldercaker - see my previous reply, more than two words (50?) and no politics. It can be done. Political discussions are great for Facebook,but they never work out here.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Too late, Javan, too late.
:rofl:
I support you, though. I just get sad if I am not 'in before the lock'.
Thanks for the support :)
We've been down this road of discussing insurance and smoking before. I don't know how closely you've been following the situation in the United States in the last decade, Javan, but within that time, health insurance has become 100% politicized.
What Al said.

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
You are under no obligation to answer questions from your doctor about your smoking habits. If asked, simply decline politely to answer the question.
According to Health Markets (https://www.healthmarkets.com/content/what-you-need-know-about-smoking-and-health-insurance), "Tobacco use is defined as 'any tobacco product, including cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, snuff, and pipe tobacco, used four or more times a week within the past 6 months.'” So, if you are an infrequent pipe smoker, you can truthfully answer "no."
When it comes to life insurance, failure to admit to using tobacco can result in being denied coverage and lying can result in your insurance being cancelled or a life insurance claim being rejected.
However, if you are a pipe smoker, you should tell your dentist so that he can check for oral cancer during check ups.

davem

Might Stick Around
Oct 21, 2018
South Carolina
All of our available plans where I work have a tobacco surcharge, but you can avoid paying it be enrolling in the smoking cessation program. Can you sell nicotine gum on eBay? Just kidding :D

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I'm surprised you are seeing the question as smoking before I retired about 10 years ago insurance and employers had switched to tobacco use.

Status
Not open for further replies.