PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Ajsnow93

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2021
Larisa, Thessaly, Greece
I think this might not be the perfect place to post this thread, but I want it more of a buyer's advice. I'm thinking of buying some Peterson tobacco specifically Nightcap, Sherlock Holmes, Early Morning Pipe and My mixture 965. I want some insights on these and also, if you think I should skip any of them in favour of something else?

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Nightcap, Early Morning Pipe and My mixture 965 are all English blends that contain Latakia. If you wanted some more variety of flavours your could add Flake, Dark Flake and Deluxe Navy Rolls to your list for some Virginia blends. These can burn a bit hotter if you are just starting off and need to be smoked slowly to prevent tongue bite.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I’m a rookie, but enjoyed Wilke 515 - Rathbone’s blend - in my Peterson Rathbone as my first official pipe smoke. Seemed to be a little more recommended than the “Sherlock” and a no brainer for the event. But never tried the other.

Reactions: tobefrank

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Your prospects are fine and would provide a nice tour through Peterson former Dunhill blends. Your could take six months or more slowly savoring these. Taking your time is important. If you just dive into many blends, you may not "learn" any of them well enough to enjoy or appreciate them. I also like the idea of buying a variety of genres in bulk in one ounce baggies. But again, take it slow, very slow. Anything you don't like seal in a jar and try it in a year or so. Slow. Slow.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Sherlock Holmes is an old friend. It's a Peterson blend, not a relabeled Dunhill Any topping is very mild.
Personally, you good folks can have all the EMP, 965, and Nightcap you want - none of them are my cuppa. If I am well-stocked with Old Dublin and Standard, I am a happy camper. puffy

Reactions: elvishrunes

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
I’ve smoked them all (and am smoking a bowl of Sherlock Holmes as I type) and think you’ll enjoy the variables while getting a 101 in English style tobaccos with the three Dunhill relabels. Sherlock is my least favorite of the three due to the strong tannic / mouth drying effect it has on me personally. That said, it’s still an enjoyable blend and will be a nice change of pace from the other three. I’d press forward!

Dublin Old Man

Might Stick Around
Aug 22, 2020
Dublin, Ohio
You've made good choices with the Dunhill/Peterson blends. As tobefrank mentioned, the blends you mentioned contain latakia. For a non-latakia blend try Dunhill/Peterson Ye Olde Signe.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
You can’t go wrong with anything named Sherlock Holmes. I’ve never tried it, but I think I’ll mosey on over to SP.com and grab some.

Mdutson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2021
Houston TX
When I started off I would buy a lot of blends and try them all but now I try and stick to one or two new blends at a time so I can really learn and understand what I like or hate about each one. A blend takes time to understand. But I recommend Early Morning Pipe this is the blend that welcomed me into the life.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
You do know there's gonna be a drop on Oct. 20th on limited release? If not interested, stock on Old Dublin, EMP, and 965. NC is overrated.