PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradarcher

Lurker
Jan 13, 2018
I just received a Missouri Meerschaum pipe and I am interested in some beginner tobacco to try out. I'm completely new to this so any help is welcome
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Carter Hall

Prince Albert

C&D Pegasus

Balkan Sasieni

Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flakes

Newminster Superior Navy Flake

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You'll get many suggestions. Blends popular for a start are Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Lanes 1-Q, Sir Walter Raleigh Regular or Aromatic, and many many more. If your MM cob has a filter, you can try smoking it with or without that. You'll need pipe cleaners, a basic tamper like a pipe tool or pipe nail, and matches or a lighter of course. Take your time and enjoy yourself.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
My first was Davidoff Danish Mixture. I’d highly recommend it. I tried OTC blends but found I liked others way more and never looked back.

Welcome!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Some good suggestions, though I wouldn't go with a Latakia blend at the start. The OTC's like Carter Hall, Prince Albert, etc or the mild aromatics like Cult Red Moon or Captain Black or 1-Q are tried and true ways to get into pipe smoking.

Mar 29, 2016
OTCs: Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Amphora Original Blend, Sir Walter Raleigh.

Orlik Golden Sliced is also a good starting tobacco.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
If I were starting all over again, I'd wish I started with stuff like Carter Hall, Lane 1Q or a good over the counter blend.
My first three tobaccos were Nightcap, Ramsgate and Blackpool. They were all a bit too powerful for me at the start... and they bit me hard because I didn't know what smoking slowly meant.

auburnfan

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2017
I echo most of what others say. Out of the group recommended I'd probably start with 1q as opposed to Carter hall. Mac baren 7 seas gold is an excellent starting blend in my opinion and even a lane limited ready rub. Both will have a pleasant aroma as well.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
If I were you I would avoid MacBarens at the beginning. My first tobacco was MacBaren's Vanilla Cream Loose Cut (now named Classic) and my tongue was fried for several weeks. :)

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
My recommendation is to get 1 oz bulk of 20 tobaccos. Ranging from cherry aromatic to Virginia flake, and everything in between. Tobacco is a very personal thing, people get real fired up about what they like and don’t like. There are so many amazing tobaccos right now, that taste amazing, I wish the whole tobacco consuming public would switch to pipe smoking. I'm buzzed, but I think someone or me should start packaging what I recommend. It would be a service to new pipe smokers. Offer a sampler pack , one stop shopping. We need more pipe smokers who fall in love with it.

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
I would second Nightcap or another similar English blend. I feel like I wasted a lot of time smoking aromatics and when I tasted my first English blend I was totally blown away. My wife's first smoke on the other hand hand was Nightcap and she loved it from the beginning.
However, you cannot go wrong with any of the good advice given so far.
More importantly maybe than the tobacco is learning how to pack the pipe and smoke it. Sip, don't puff. Go slowly and don't race to get to the bottom of the bowl. Don't worry if it goes out several times. Keep the pipe clean. There are lots of videos on the internet that can show you the basics.
Oh, and welcome. You will learn a lot just from reading the daily posts here.

fumapipa

Lurker
Jan 14, 2018
I’m new to this as well. I think sampling’s of the different tobacco groups is a good way to see what you’ll like. My recommendation for getting started is:
Carter Hall, Lane Limited 1Q or BCA, McClelland Frogmorton, Bullseye Flake
More importantly is learning how to determine how moist/dry you like the tobacco, how to pack the bowl, how to light it, and cadence. You’re gonna read a million reviews about how smooth or creamy or flavorful this or that tobacco is. But if you’re doing it wrong, they won’t taste good at all, no matter how positive the reviews are. It’s a fun hobby with a bit of a learning curve. Enjoy!

64alex

May 10, 2016
[Some good suggestions, though I wouldn't go with a Latakia blend at the start. The OTC's like Carter Hall, Prince Albert, etc or the mild aromatics like Cult Red Moon or Captain Black or 1-Q are tried and true ways to get into pipe smoking.]
While the most common given advice is to start with some mild OTC I disagree with this and I suggest starting with something stronger in flavor (but not high in nic) such some Latakia or Oriental blends. The reason is that starting with something stronger in taste make easier to master to smoke slowly and sipping, while with a mild blend novices in order to get some taste tend to smoke faster with the problem of getting the pipe hot and tongue burning. I started with 3 Oaks Syrian, McClelland Drama reserve and McClelland Tudor Castle and I am glad I did so, it made easier for me learning to smoke the pipe. Then when I mastered with these 3 blends I ventured in all other different types of blends.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here's a question that hasn't been asked. What kinds of flavors do you like? Do you like smokey and/or spicy tangy strong flavors? Then, an English might be the ticket. Do you like vanilla? Then 1-Q might be more to your liking. Cherry? Cult Blood Red Moon is a good choice. A little bit of chocolate with a nutty flavor? Look at Carter Hall. If you decide to try a variety of blends, it might be a good idea to buy another cob or two. Aromatics like a cherry blend or vanilla blend, and English blends, will leave behind a ghost that can interfere with your being able to taste a different blend type.

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
I think OTC brands could be a turn off to many. I'ed go for something mild that touches a few bases. Midnight Drive by C+D.

Status
Not open for further replies.