PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

westworld85

Lurker
Mar 20, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

I go through tins really slowly. Can I bring life back to an old dried out tin? is there a way to store it that it lasts longer? I typically just keep it at room temp in a drawer.

Last edited by a moderator:

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
Keeping your tobacco at room temperature is fine.

If you are smoking from only five tins or so, it’s probably okay to keep the tobacco in the tins. The tobacco should be just fine as your smoke your way through them.

if you are smoking a lot of different blends, if you open a new tin even though you already have another ten tins open, then stop. There’s no way you can smoke your way through so many tins before the tobacco dries out. Buy yourself some small canning jars and transfer the tobacco to them from the tins. The canning jars have a better seal than tins and the tobacco will last a very long time in them.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
If your tobacco turns to mummy dust when you squeeze it, then it's beyond help. If not, you can re-hydrate your tobacco by putting it in a bowl and placing a damp paper towel or cloth over the bowl. Check the tobacco every couple of hours to see how it's doing and stir it up a bit. You might want to use distilled water. Don't over hydrate your tobacco. Tobacco smokes better when it's drier.

Reactions: westworld85

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
If you don't want to go the jar route, try this. Cut a square of wax paper or aluminium foil large enough to fit over the tin. Put the lid on the tin. The paper acts as a gasket. I do this with 8 oz. tins I don't jar. Good to go for a year or more.

Mike S.

westworld85

Lurker
Mar 20, 2020
Awesome, I think between the mason jars and the re-hydration tip I will be all set. i am going to start only having a tin or two open at a time. Would it be weird to ask someone to split a tin, is there pipe adequate against that?

Status
Not open for further replies.