PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I just picked up a few different kinds of bulk tobacco and one, a pound of SG St. James Flake came in a cardboard box, wrapped in cellophane. Everything else arrived in plastic bags and I have jarred them but I wanted to know if the more knowledgeable people who cellar, leave tobacco packaged in that way in its original packaging or open it and jar the contents. I thought perhaps that the factory would have packaged it so it could last on store shelves for long periods. Anyone care to comment and enlighten me?

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I think you're right and will jar it at the first available chance. I really liked how the other SG flakes were so beautifully pliable and smelled so nice that I feel bad having wait a few years to crack those jars. I've got a few other VaPers with some years on them so they'll have to do in the meantime.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Jar everything with fresh seals, only trust single press tins for long term storage, convert it all to grams, update your database, print out labels with the brand image for when the eyes go bad, and keep flake jars on their sides so they stay perfect! ;)

atboth

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2012
If it's wrapped in plastic, jar it. Plastic and tobacco eventually react, and there will always be a gradual loss of moisture. Glass is non-reactive.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The St James flake needs to be jarred as do any other bulks.
The jars on the top shelf is what I use to store bulks. I buy them at walmart and the big ones hold 2 pounds each. The main reason I use these is because they use silicone gaskets which will not deteriorate after a decade. I have had bad experiences with jars that use rubber gaskets.

DSC09706.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.