PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
We have a small lounge with nice leather easy chairs and extra padded chairs for overflow. We are a full service pipe and cigar shop, with walk in humidor and large cases of pipes in all price ranges and a good selection of tins and house blends. How the lounge gets used is a topic of conversation among the Staff and owner almost weekly. We find it amazing that some customers bring in tobacco and sticks purchased elsewhere and feel free to sit and smoke them in a Shop that makes the effort to provide a nice place to come. Buying a coke does not pay the rent, or the cable and wifi. A regular that comes in daily and buys a $5 stick, but then spends 4 or 5 hours in the lounge treating it like his office and wanting to control the TV, does not pay the rent. In fact, that kind of customer hurts business. It is an interesting line the Staff must walk to keep the lounge an inviting place to be, without upsetting some. Pick up after yourselves. Leaving cigar bands and other waste for the Staff to pick up does not make you their favorite customer...and finding a pile of cigar ash on the floor next to the chair, when there is a big ash tray provided on the table next to the chair has the owner thinking about how to use the space to create more income for the Shop.

If this were your business, how would you like the space to be treated? We have a vast majority of customers that clearly think of our lounge in this way and we love to have them come and spend time. They are the ones that make it fun to come to work in a Shop that has not gone the way of $500./$600. memberships just to have a place to sit and enjoy a smoke.

We have one evening a week devoted to pipe smokers only, and have started to hide the TV remote to keep the atmosphere inviting instead of having golf on for 16 hours in a 4 day stint.

Just remember, we like to have you here, but this is a place of business, not your living room.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Great points desertpipe. The cool thing about being in this business is that you really get to know your customers and vice versa and the atmosphere is a little more casual than most other business. You aren't going to get to know the sales person at Target and spend time talking to them each trip.
The bad thing about this business is the same thing. Because it's a casual environment and that staff/customer walk is broken down a bit some customers (and sometimes staff) forget that is first and foremost a business. Fortunately we haven't had too many instances of guys bringing in stuff they purchased outside but we do have the guy that comes in and hangs out for 4 hours and buys one $5 cigar. I used to get guys that would literally hang out from open to close.
Lounge customers are normally great, and good people to get to know but they are a very small part of overall revenue especially when you look at the amount of space and resources that are dedicated to them. In the future when I remodel my store I am going to make the lounge a lot smaller and likely move it to the back and only allow certain people back there.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
carytobacco, the only problem I would have with your plan is that we are constantly finding the lounge attracting some of our new customers. It is a great place for them to relax and it seems to allow them to feel free to ask the questions that take more time to answer then when they are just across the counter.

I received a PM commenting about the remote. We retook control of the remote over Christmas, and gradually have used hiding it to reset the tone in the lounge. Some days music, some days movies, some days old reruns. Funny, instead of less traffic in the lounge, we have had more and varied traffic. And the level of conversation has picked up, which I think had been suffering from stagnation....how many times can the 9th hole of whatever golf course stimulate a good conversation?

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
At my local B&M, the coffee pot is always on. The matches and pipe cleaners are free while you're there and the house tobacco is a help yourself to a bowl policy. They even have open tins of all kinds of stuff for people to try. The lounge is free and warm in the Winter. It's really more the 'Cheers' of our local pipe community
ShopTalkNEW2.jpg

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
freakiefrog, what a great lounge. We have limited space and nothing near so nice, but it is warm, has cable and wifi, and we are sure happy we can keep it free.

highlander

Might Stick Around
Dec 5, 2013
Boy, this can be a tough topic. A lounge seems to be a place where the interests of a number of parties meet. The meeting can be pleasant and mutually beneficial. The meeting can also unpleasant and detrimental to all concerned.
About a year ago, I had the same question that hitman posed. What is the etiquette for making use of smoking lounges? I can only speak to two very, very different lounges. In my city there are only two tobacco shops worthy of the name. And the discussion below [which seems to have somehow grown to book length] is very much my own opinion...which certainly may not be shared by others.
One shop is very cigar oriented. I would say that it is so cigar oriented that, although pipes and pipe tobacco are carried, pipe merchandise is limited and de-emphasized. The staff I dealt with were not very knowledgeable about pipes. For a beginner, in fact, they were a detriment to the pastime. Ah, but their lounge. It is a private club on three levels with a kitchen, a locker room, desks, televisions, a bathroom, deep leather chairs and couches, nooks, crannies, and little rooms off to the side. And it only costs $600 a year to be a member -- or $10 a visit -- and lockers are more. It also has no effective ventilation -- so it stinks of old cigar smoke which is layered on every surface I saw. It clearly wasn't cleaned regularly. Finally, the few patrons I saw using it struck me as egotists of the first order.
I asked one of the owners what percentage of the club members were pipe smokers. He replied that perhaps 10% were. I am guessing that a better figure would be 5%. Or less. Although the lounge was superficially impressive, on second and third examination and with more knowledge, it was not appealing. So, the issue of the etiquette of purchasing merchandise when using the lounge did not apply there -- a membership covers all obligations.
That was the first shop. The second is an entirely different proposition.
It is a small space in a small strip mall. It sells all kinds of tobacco and gentleman's pursuits stuff -- chess sets, grooming and shaving items, and so on -- a bit cluttered but not unpleasantly so. It has a small humidor in the back, but apparently, for cigar smokers, it offers an ample selection of cigars and accessories. However, I have overheard several times, when a customer is looking for a specific cigar, that they are sold out. In the year I have been going to this shop, its variety and presentation of pipes has doubled, even tripled, with choices from estate and low end pipes through the mid-ranges and up into the lower end of the upper range of pipes. The pipe tobacco selection is moderate, but wide in choice -- with a good range of house blends and a reasonable range of tins. Pipe accessories are pretty complete in their offering, if not all options are available. The staff are very knowledgeable about pipe smoking...from the owner down to the regular employees. Pipe repair and reconditioning are available at the shop for reasonable prices.
The lounge at this shop is small. It consists of four very nice, deep, leather chairs in the far corner of the shop. The chairs face a large TV. There is a huge ottoman in front of the chairs; it is covered with the latest pipe and cigar magazines. There are small tables between the chairs for ashtrays with room or one's smoking paraphernalia, and even a book or a can of soda. There are more stacked chairs, auditorium style, available for overflow. It is a very pleasant place to smoke when the weather is inclement -- I don't smoke in my house or garage due to orders from CinC Home.
When I first began observing the lounge, it was glaringly evident that it was the haunt of the cigar smokers. There were regulars there nearly every day. They were clearly enjoying themselves, were frequently loud, and seemed to have decided that only golf, reruns of old TV shows, and shows about surviving in the Arctic while building cabins and driving semis were allowable for viewing. There was no discussion or asking for opinions; that was it. I concluded that the lounge was not a place for pipe smokers and did not initially use it.
After more time passed, I observed that the cigar smokers usually showed up around noon and stayed the afternoon. That made the lounge quiet and available for about the first two hours after the shop opened. For those few hours, the TV was playing music that I enjoyed -- no roller derby or quiz shows. And no energetically voiced political or religions opinions, sometimes in language not usually used for religious opinions. I also observed that there were afternoons when no cigar smokers showed up. So, from time to time, I'd gather pipes and tobacco and head to the shop. If the cigar smokers were there, I'd leave. If not, I'd stay. And if one or more appeared while I was smoking, I'd finish the bowl and move on. I began to have some very pleasant hours or twos in the lounge. The cigar smokers are not bad guys; they are just different guys.
The employee who really knew pipes had established a Pipe Night once a week. In theory, only pipe smokers could use the lounge. But is was not unknown for cigar smokers to ignore Pipe Night and just keep on keeping on. How did I learn about Pipe Night? I learned because I was explicitly invited -- multiple times. I attended often and as many as 10-12 other pipe smokers appeared. Everyone brought in tobacco for others to sample and the shop always had between one to six sample tins. We talked about pipes and tobaccos and the industry and current events in the pipe world. We sometimes just sat an smoked with little conversation. I also learned that there was a local pipe club and was again invited to attend its monthly meeting at a local fraternal organization. The local options for the hobby began to open up and my enjoyment of it increased.
Now, back to the title of the thread. When I first started pipe smoking and was buying my first pipes and tobacco, I bought exclusively at the shop. I discovered a bit later that eBay offered interesting pipes at decent prices. And, as more time went by, I learned that eBay pipes weren't always worth their bargain prices, and the shop got to repair or clean my new eBay acquisition. I was learning about pipe tobaccos. My first purchases were exclusively at the shop, but I began to explore beyond the their offerings. Now, a year later, I know I can go to the shop and get expert advice on both pipes an tobacco -- information I cannot get online -- and more than once I've walked out one pipe or one tin or one lighter heavier than I walked in. But I no longer buy exclusively at the shop. And my acquisition of new pipes and new tobaccos and new accessories has dropped significantly. So, from time to time, I'll pick up some new tobacco or replenish a tin I've used -- or get an accessory I forgot to bring to the lounge. Although I know it is only a token, I always buy a soda when I use the lounge.
I continued to observe the lounge. A couple of times another pipe smoker was there. We'd nod or say hello and, as pipe smokers do, go back to our book or phone. I observed that some cigar regulars had "their" chair and were clearly not pleased when somebody else occupied it. I observed that some cigar regulars seemed to come for the TV and the wiFi and, maybe, even the heat when it was cold or the A/C when it was hot. Some were working at their job via their computer -- using the lounge as an auxiliary office. Some, on some days, did not smoke at all -- they just used the space. Some guys would drop by to kill time before or after work or school. And some simply came in, bought a cigar, and smoked it in the lounge.
I had become aware that the tobacco B&Ms were cigar dependent for their income and realized that having a lounge to smoke in was a real privilege for a pipe smokers. I don't know if some of the cigar regulars quite understood that. I had a couple of talks with the owner and her employees and learned that there was a debate between keeping the lounge open or closing it and using it for more merchandise space. There was a desire to keep it open for many reasons, but there was a realization that its users just weren't generating revenue.
Then, a couple of months ago, change came. The shop posted a sign asking that lounge patrons only smoke items purchased in the shop. I think that is quite reasonable, but am sometimes personally puzzled trying to remember which Mason jarred tobacco was purchased there. Another sign was posted stating that Pipe Night was for pipe smokers only ... cigar smokers were no longer permitted to occupy their chair and smoke their cigars in the middle of Pipe Night. There have been verbal reminders to clean up after oneself, especially in the bathroom. And the staff of the shop have taken over the TV remote. Of the changes, the cigar regulars had the most unhappy reaction to losing control of the TV. One commented when arriving and noting that jazz was coming out of the TV, "Do we have to listen to this crap when a game is coming on?" The answer was something like, "When the game is actually on, we can watch it. But, until then, its music."
So, what I hope I have done is to educate myself on the privilege of a smoking lounge...and the responsibility we have to reciprocate that with the shop owner. I have swept floors, emptied ashtrays, emptied trashcans, even cleaned up after someone else in the bathroom -- all to indicate I appreciate the lounge. If alone and someone comes in and asks to watch something on TV, I refer them to the staff and indicate that I have no problem with it -- I might leave shortly thereafter. And, if I find an interesting new tobacco and it costs 50% more from the shop than from an online seller, I'll buy it at the shop. I buy my accessories from the shop. I look at the pipes in the cabinets and have buy one once in a long while. And I buy a soda every time I use the lounge -- it is not much, but it is something. My typical stay is 1-2 hours, but I've stayed longer.
And, when I have the opportunity and a newbie is in the shop and buys a pipe and tobacco, I invite him to Pipe Night and the pipe club. Sometimes, I think that just visibly sitting there, filling or smoking or cleaning a pipe provides an image that might lead others to buy at the shop. In a small way, I try to push the hobby and the shop.
I would not join the private club at the first shop.
I doubt that I am buying enough or will buy enough in the shop to "pay" for my use of the lounge. At first, when I was buying pipes and tobacco right and left, I may have been. But no longer. If the lounge closed, I'd continue to drop by the shop, but wouldn't have the experience of getting up and roaming around the shop and looking at the pipes and tobaccos to the depth that I do when visiting the lounge. I appreciate the recent changes which have made it more accessible to pipe smokers. I'm grateful for the lounge and try to be a good guest when using it.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Same here desertpipe. We have gained quite a few new customers the last few months. For me it's a bit of a feeling out process and I feel like I'm usually a good judge of if a person is going to be a real customer vs the guy just stroking you in order to use the lounge for the day and won't be back.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
There benefits to being a local customer at the B&M. The supposedly higher cost you may pay is essentially the price of knowledge and experience of the tobacconists. Granted, in many places that isn't worth much. As my old Tinder box buddy used to say, "two things here are free, matches and advice. And my wife says the 2nd is overpriced".
Having a good tobacconists can save you time and money. They can recommend new tobaccos to try based on your likes and dislikes. Instead of you searching through hours of reviews online.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Highlanders experience sounds a bit like my own at our Frederick MD Pipe Club venue described earlier:

http://www.quartermasterscigars.com/theshop/#frederick
Amentities are terrific, but the pipe selections slim. The ventilation is incredible to the point of almost making my limited hair stand up on end. Thankfully, the way the televisions are arranged, it is not intrusive to our pipe conversation. They also have a table area, which I think is more suited to a club experience than the pub chairs, but the other members seem to prefer the lounge chairs to the this point (they limit participation and conversation in a group of 10+)
IMG_0044.JPG

There are other cigar smokers present on our pipe club night, but there is plenty of room and we try to chat with those guys. One cigar fan had pipes and has now joined the club.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Smoking lounges in these anti days are few and far in-between. The JR location in Burlington NC exists only because they fought past the many restrictions of the authorities to establish it, probably mostly related to secondary smoke as the lounge is not within their definition of being free-standing. It opens to the pipe shop, which opens to the cigar shop, which opens to the store proper. In all of these three areas smoking is allowed, but given the smoke that leaks or issues through the doors from the tobacco areas to the store proper, secondary smoke is being released into a non-smoking area. Perhaps it might not have been as difficult for the authorities to tolerate the cigar and pipe areas as smoking while the lounge seemed excessive. I don't know.
My point if a smoking lounge is available to you, fulfilling whatever you consider to be the proper give back by being a customer is the best contribution to keep the lounge open.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thankfully most smoking bans are written from the perspective of protecting the health of employees and covers their welfare, not patrons of a business. I think that will help keep lounges open. But, anything is possible these days.

highlander

Might Stick Around
Dec 5, 2013
I am impressed by the grand lounges presented above. The roominess and conveniences and comfort are quite appealing. It does seem that for a roomy and well appointed lounge, patrons are being charged a solid fee. Which might well be worth it for a number of reasons -- like not smoking at home.
Our local B&M lounge is free. With only four leather easy chairs, you won't be further away than 12 feet from the farthest other lounge patron (When the stacking chairs come out, we'll have 10-12 people snugged together, side by side.) So, if two other lounge patrons are talking, you're automatically hearing the entire conversation...if not almost required to participate in it. I like to read when I smoke, so I often try to ignore the conversation around me. Which, I believe, has given me the reputation of being stand-offish.
We have an unwritten, but often spoken, rule that, when the four easy chairs are occupied and an occupant leaves, the patron who has been on one of the stacking chairs or standing around longest has the option of taking the empty chair. The rule is observed punctiliously and prevents any conflict over who gets the nice chair next.
But, with a small shop and the lounge in one corner, you can't help but be part of what is going on in the shop. You can chat with the employees, listen to their interchange with customers, and learn a good deal about the tobacconist business. This week, in fact, a sales rep was in the shop selling pipe tobacco. I saw him and the owner back in the lounge talking and asked the employee behind the counter if I should not sit in the lounge because business was going on. He replied that I should definitely sit down and listen in to the exchange. He said I'd probably learn about how sales reps interact with shop owners. I sat, shut up, and enjoyed listening in.

Status
Not open for further replies.