PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Yeah, there is no longer a 200g threshold. Historically though they would usually let it slide, but sometimes you get an officious badass who wants to torture you. I have got tagged on less than 1% of my orders by number, so that ain't too bad. I did hear a rumour that they may be tightening up what they let slide, and maybe 2014 is the year for that - will have to see how it plays out.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Northernneil, the last time I crossed into Saskatchewan from North Dakota with 4oz, they charged me 400% duty because it was under 48hrs. I won't make that mistake again!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Come closer little sheepy, daddy has a present for you.
Lmao!!!! The land where the men are men and the sheep ARE TO SCARED TO MOVE!!!!
I've had a few adventures crossing the border. once crossing through it turned out the female border guard had gone to school with my youngest sister and they did not like each other. That resulted in a 4 hour inspection for me and my dad that included being taken into a backroom, door locked, and being patted down by a guard. After we came out my dad started laughing at the guard, when the guard asked why dad was laughing dad replied "Your 5'8 and 175lbs and you just locked yourself into a room with a 6'4, 260lb ex-military man. If he wanted to you'd be toast". Dad sent a letter to the Minister in charge of border crossing and was issues a apology for the completely unprofessional way we had been treated.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
I have been getting dinged more often lately.

There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to the

so called " dings ". My orders are for 8oz's at a time, and have been

dinged $44 and change for one, while another one was charged the same as you

Yaddy. Mind you I am still stocking up while I can.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Just got 6 tins in Monday with no issues. For the entire year I've been a member here the 200gm "limit" was not factually correct. It was always a guideline but you could be hit with duty for 1 single 50gm tin. The 200gm limit comes into play if you physically enter the United States for more than 48 hrs then you are allowed to bring home 200gm of tobacco per adult. That being said, the 200gm is a good guideline to still use, but be aware that these items are higher on the radar now and enforcement could become more strict. Still way cheaper than buying locally in Canada even when paying proper duties.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
At some point someone is going to see threads like this, report what's going on to customs, and we are all going to be hooped. Just saying.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
when you cross from US to Canada do you declare tobacco or do they search your car? I can understand a case of something sticking out but 4 ozs or even a pound seems would be easy to have just on your person? my understanding just from reading the internet mind you if you are a single male crossing the border you will get way more attention then a couple who will get more then a couple with kids? seems any over sized bra and a coupe of zip-lock s/b be good for at least a pound. also from reading the internet I understand a middle of road mom/pop car will draw less attention then a junker or fancy rig.

papabear

Lurker
Dec 27, 2013
Ottawa, Ont
1525437_759256937435669_520022697_n.jpg

Just got about 10 Onz of products from 4noggins without any issues. Took 3 days.

mzpuff

Lurker
Feb 13, 2013
Toronto
I ship to family in VT and bring my 200g exemption limit back. My wife and mother-in-law, who also often travels with us, bring back 200g each. I get 600g with each trip. That's my extra incentive to visit family and make the 8hr drive with two little kids. I always declare the tobacco at the border. I've never had any issue.

love2smoke

Lurker
Jan 1, 2014
So if you have to pay duty, I take it they make you pick it up at the post office and pay the fees? My shipment of 3oz is now on Canadian soil and should arrive any day now.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
@dochudson:

It is strongly recommended that you try not to smuggle in tobacco and alcohol. Usually the first thing customs agents will ask crossing the border is do you have any firearms, alcohol or tobacco to declare. If you lie, and you get searched and they find any of the above, you are liable for duties fees as well as full penalties if they so wish to impose. Once you get caught lying on your declaration form or by lying to the agent, you will be flagged for future inspections (or your licence on your car will set off the flag). Since theoretically you are not allowed any tobacco under 48hours, if you have any it's best to let them know. If it's a small amount they usually let you go by (as evident to all of us cross border shoppers living on the border to any major US city), but it is not guaranteed.
@love2smoke:

Duty and taxes are two different things. Depending on the agent that inspects your package, he may just tax you on the package (according to your province's tax rate plus GST). If duty is assessed, that's usually assessed as a tobacco duty (which is much higher than a regular duty for something like clothes). On top of that duty, you will pay the taxes and a handling fee of approximately $10.00. Depending on the delivery method: Canada Post charges only if Customs instructs to do so, and you can tell before they get to the door be seeing the yellow sticker and duty form plastered on you box. Canada Post delivery men have a mini POS credit card processor on them, and will take your credit card at the door. UPS, Fed Ex et al, will automatically charge you any applicable duties and taxes, as these methods get processed through their own customs brokers, and are not left to chance by inspection of a customs agent. If it's labelled as tobacco, it will be taxed and assessed as tobacco no matter what. That's why Canadians love the USPS...we take our chances of running into an over zealous agent inspection, and so far, odds are good that it will get through without any duties or taxes as long as it stays under the radar of the 200-250g mark. WHATEVER YOU DO, never let the amount go above 1 pound, as you will be then labelled as a commercial import of tobacco and if you haven't seen a big duty charge, try a pound...
Shutterbug

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
All I know is that CANADA POST SUCKS! I ordered a package off of smokingpipes.com which was supposed to be my Christmas gift to my self and treat for a recent promotion. Well its been since December the 19th and still no package.. When I check tracking details:

2014/01/09 19:54 MISSISSAUGA Item processed

2014/01/08 15:34 OWEN SOUND Canada Post processing error; item re-routed. Possible delay

2014/01/07 10:45 OWEN SOUND Extreme weather conditions at this location; item delayed

2014/01/06 04:37 MISSISSAUGA Item processed

2014/01/05 18:45 MISSISSAUGA International item released from Customs for processing by Canada post

2014/01/02 10:59 MISSISSAUGA Item has arrived in Canada and was sent for further processing.

2013/12/24 10:14 USMIAA,USA International item has left originating country and is en route to Canada

2013/12/19 14:03 29566,USA International item mailed in originating country
I live in Vaughan....15 minutes from Mississauga.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
@mtgallet - I am sorry that your package has taken so long to get to you, but aside from the one day burp due to the deep freeze and crazy road conditions between the 7th and 8th, it looks like most of the delay you experienced was in shipping and travel to Canada. That's a bummer, but was totally out of Canada Post's control. I'm guessing that the length of time it took to get to Vaughan had a lot to do with the three statutory holidays, reduced staffing over the holidays, and the varying weather nonsense of the last three weeks. Let's hope that your package arrives safely, and leads to a deep and delightful smoke to make up for it.
Cheers,
-- Pat

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
@love2smoke:

Don't be too concerned about duty and getting caught. We Canadians are so used to ordering from the US for our tobacco, that any taxes and duty is built into our thought process about overall cost, so that if it gets dinged, we're not too upset about it. After all, even when you add up all of the taxes, duties, deliver costs AND the Canadian dollar, you're still paying cheaper than if you were to buy that tobacco here. On top of all of that, the selection is a thousand times better than anything you will find in Canada (and fresher I might add). Order like normal, and enjoy what you got slipped through today before American prices jump any higher...
Shutterbug

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
@pruss I understand that conditions have been terrible, and that there have been statutory holidays in between. But what really grinds my gears is how it somehow ended up going from Mississauga (close to me) to Owen sound! (very far from me) before it comes to me! blows my mind. And the cherry on top is that it arrived today, I wasn't home to sign and they charged me $32 in duties or taxes lol...... just my luck

Dec 24, 2012
Yeah, I knew you were going to get charged duty just based on the time chronology above.
A shame about the incorrect routing. Still, I have only had that happen one time out of, as I said, hundreds of orders. In my experience it is pretty rare.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
At some point someone is going to see threads like this, report what's going on to customs, and we are all going to be hooped. Just saying.

Agreed, I don't think it's a good idea to gloat you're getting tax free tobacco, the only reason you aren't being dinged if you aren't is because if you've ever worked in a post office or any kind of shipping place, it's a very fast paced environment and you're literally throwing packages off a line as fast as you can onto waiting trucks. If the company you order from doesn't have tobacco or smoking or pipes or cigars etc... right in the name, it brings down the chance of getting dinged considerably, but don't think that their just "letting it go through" on good faith because they think it's under 200 gms. Look at Australia for instance, not many packages get through there. I think it's best to just keep your mouth shut and enjoy a good thing and maybe shoot a pm to someone if you've had a good experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.