PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
I've been looking at a lot of online tobacco sites and see that it's 1/3 the price of what it is in shops here in Winnipeg ( about $32 cad for 50 grams ). Was wondering if any of the other Canadian members here have bought online before and could tell me what are the approximate final costs are? after duty, tobacco taxes and what not.
If its about the same, I was thinking of ordering it to a friend in the states and have them ship to me as a "gift" to cut down on the costs or would that be advisable?
thanks for any info

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Since I am in the States, I can't speak from experience, but I've read from various members here that live in Canada and elsewhere that 4noggins.com will send to Canada and I think they DO list it as gift, although I'm not sure.
Hope this helps...
-Jason

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
Thanks for the link, unfortunately from the sounds of their site I don't think they list it as a gift since they have the disclaimer about customs and the like.
Looks like I'll have to ship to someone in the states and have them reship it to me with new packaging XD, should be simple I can send them a visa / master card gift card to cover any cost which would still be WAY cheaper =D

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Why not try a small order with 4noggins and see what happens?

The exterior of their packaging gives no indication of the nature of its contents.

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
true, worse case scenario I pay the same amount as what I already pay but I get something that cant be found in this city. No clue why I didn't think of that, Thanks!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I live in Nova Scotia and order from Smokingpipes.com on a regular basis. I have yet to pay duty or excise tax on any order. It is WWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY cheaper for us to order from the states. Just go to the Canada customs or government site and find out what amount you are allowed to have shipped over the border. If it is under a certain amount, you don't have to pay duty or excise tax. I have ordered as much as half dozen tins without paying anything more than the price on the smokingpipes.com site. I even told my B&M guy that, due to Canada's retarded anti tobacco laws and taxation, I will be taking money from Canadian merchants and pumping it into another country's economy. He told me that he didn't blame me one bit.

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
Thanks ohin you're a godsend! I'm guessing the allowed limit for shipping tobacco will be the same amount as if I drove over the border. I'll take a look at the site.

Yea I'll still support my tobacconist, it just wont be by buying tobacco XD I've bought so much in the past 2 months that I get greeted as soon as I walk in by both people there, I swear they're on commission lol

thanks again you made my day =D

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Great response ohin3. I knew one of the guys here had recently ordered from down here in the States, but couldn't remember who.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
At the rate I smoke, the extortionate prices that get charged here due to taxes don't really bug me that much, but if I were smoking bowls per day I would no doubt feel passionate about it. For me the biggest problem is that if I want to try a blend and none of my local tobacconists stock it, they aren't very enthusiastic about doing custom orders for the amounts I want. So that leads to the Internet, or trips to exotic locations like Portland. :) I brought back three tins with me on the last trip down south.
Keep us posted on the tax-avoiding success rate!
Simon

sinistertopiary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2009
Toronto
Hello greggors. Canadian customs permits 200 grams of tobacco to cross the border duty free, whether in person or in shipping. The duty can be hefty, but is still cheaper than the cost of buying it in stores in Canada.
I live in Toronto and get most of my tobacco online. I have relatives in NY so I will frequently ship to them and retrieve it during visits. If my wife joins me that's 200g per person, so I can bring back 8 tins duty free.
But I have often had orders shipped directly to me. Customs permits 200 grams of tobacco shipped without duty, which means that I can order 4 tins from 4noggins (or elsewhere) and not worry about getting tagged. If I want to place a large order I just split it up so that each package is only 4 tins and pay for all that shipping, which is much much less than the duty or taxes. (I don't know why customs thinks that shipping 12 tins in 3 packages is all that different from shipping it in 1 package, but it is. Maybe customs gets a kickback from more shipping.)
I have ordered from some vendors who ship tobacco as a gift (I can't recall which, offhand, I'm sorry to say), but if it's tagged it'll have a hefty fine in addition to the duty. I had one shipment arrive from England that had five tins (250 grams) that got tagged, and I was hit with a $42 duty, which is a hefty duty but still cheaper than buying five tins in Canada in a brick and mortar.

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
I'll be placing my order tomorrow and if all is good I'll try sinistertopiary's idea of just ordering in multiple shipments. Just have to decide which site to order through now.
Going to love getting the new tobacco as all my local tobacconist carries is McClellands XD

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
And here, I am pissed that in NY state, I have to pay 75% tax on tobacco... Guess it's not quite as bad as in Canada...
-Jason

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
75%... In the UK we pay about 83% which is DUTY + VAT so in NY State (and many other areas in the so-called civilised world) they are like the UK, which put colloquially is... Taking the effin' pee.
UK DUTY + VAT = 10.5 billion GBP

Tobacco related diseases cost to the UK National Health Service = 2.8 billion GBP
Canada, however, is even more ridiculous than that it seems.
I am not an idiot, but if you strangle the 'Goose That Laid The Golden Egg' someday it'll come back and bite your sensitive bits.
And I hope it rips the Tobacco Nazi's bits off very very very slowly.
I spent 13 years defending my country and their democracy.... for what????
Nannie says smoking is bad for you, but she doesn't tell you it makes her shed loads of money. And when the money does run out she'll have worked out another method of fleecing you to the equivalent value. God Bless Nannie. So when all you Smoking Nazi's say smoking is bad for you, please remember you WILL pay for your views because we are still gonna smoke but you are paying for it.... LMAO

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
All I can say if F' 'em. You bet your ass I will bolster another country's economy if, in your ignorance, you place that which I want so so so far out of my reach. I'd love to support my local economy but they are forcing me to support another country's economy. So F' 'em! They should be ashamed of themselves charging anywhere from 20 to 30 bucks for a tin that would cost me 10 to 13 bucks elsewhere. F' 'EM ! ! !

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
No tax on cigars or pipe tobacco in Pennsylvania........yet. They keep trying but alot of us folks write to our state reps and raise hell. Also, we're a tobacco growing state and several tobacco companies are HQ'd here. Something to think about. Our state slogan some years ago was "You have a friend in Pennsylvania". Pa was playing off the Quaker usage of "friend" but there a enough B&M's here that would gladly take an order and ship.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I never considered that one before, papipeguy... Should one be in desperate need, at least.
Once again, I just took for granted that B&Ms wouldn't go to the trouble to deal with Canadians. Many online retailers and even eBay sellers won't send tobacco products to Canada. I had one guy refuse to ship me MM corn cobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.