PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Maybe this has been discussed in a previous thread, but why the heck, when I type "Rouxgaroux" in the tobacco search field at tobaccoreviews.com, does it say "0 Results Found"; and yet it's listed as a Watch City Cigar product? How many tobaccos are not findable on that site if you search them by name? (Sorry...just felt like beefing. Carry on.)

Reactions: Servant King

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
TR is broken. There's still people adding tobaccos etc I guess, but the search function isn't indexed correctly at all, and lots of things don't show up if searched for directly, but will show up under sub-headings (like if you click "Watch City" you'll see all the blends).

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Maybe this has been discussed in a previous thread, but why the heck, when I type "Rouxgaroux" in the tobacco search field at tobaccoreviews.com, does it say "0 Results Found"; and yet it's listed as a Watch City Cigar product? How many tobaccos are not findable on that site if you search them by name? (Sorry...just felt like beefing. Carry on.)

You must be 10% smarter than the Internet! LOL 😆

20101D1E-B66E-4A5E-B51F-664D39566A7D.jpeg

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
It happens to the best of us, I was just playing around too. :)

But, Technically speaking of, the Search on the top should work instead, so the site search is borked.
So Rougaroux is a brand name? I thought that was the blend name. Watch City Cigar is the brand name. No? cray

Is Royal Yacht a brand?

("borked" . . . hehe)

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
So Rougaroux is a brand name? I thought that was the blend name. Watch City Cigar is the brand name. No? cray

Is Royal Yacht a brand?

("borked" . . . hehe)

The Search isn’t correctly defined, because Rougaroux is the Blend Name.

Brand = Maker
Blend = tobacco varieties
Blend Name = The name the blend(s) is being called.

Of course someone could also make it for someone else, so then a Blend/Brand Manufacturer for the seller, who lists it under their company Brand name.

Royal Yacht is a Blend Name, Dunhill might of also considered it as Brand name too, given it’s popularity, like calling it a Brand/Blend Name, but for the most part it’s the blend’s name. Like Oreo cookies is considered something of a Brand.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I hate it when a website's internal search sucks. Glad I wasn't the only one having trouble finding stuff that I know is there. Also annoying that TR tells you they found 347 entries, shows you the first 50, but doesn't seem to let you page through them.

You can enter this into Google to get it to search a particular website:

rouxgaroux site:tobaccoreviews.com

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
When unhappy or in doubt regarding searching

In Google's search box, type...

site:yourtargetsite.com

followed by a space, then the character string(s) you are looking for

It will override any site's built-in search engine.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
The best way is to search for brand and then browse to blend. The search engine is horrible.

Reactions: Winnipeger

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Yeah, my searches end up the same way, 0 results found. Same workaround, though. I use Startpage in lieu of Google, but I apply the same principal--I just search for it on there, and the first link that shows up is the TR page for that blend. Saves me the inexorable frustration of doing it the other way and feeling like Michael or Samir from Office Space...

office-space.gif

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
I too have ran into that but as others have said if you search Google it generally pulls up a the corresponding TR link. On the Watch City thing I saw where there were different naming conventions that might be aggravating a clean search. Namely a company may be listed with multiple configurations. For myself, I continue to write and post my reviews there, and request to add new blends to the site. It's such a great resource and very sad to see the decline in functionality.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
For myself, I continue to write and post my reviews there, and request to add new blends to the site. It's such a great resource and very sad to see the decline in functionality.
I stopped adding reviews there years ago, but good on you. I'm now part of that vast, anonymous, emeritus sea. Thirty-thousand strong I see.