PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
The ratings do matter to me. Yes.
Jiminks, steel cowboy, zombie, and a few others definitely provide unbiased reviews on hundreds of blends. I tend to weigh a tobacco reviewers ratings against their total number of reviews and time on the site. That matters more to me than the overall individual rating at large.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Fun question. No, I ignore the scores and weed through reviews to find those from folks that typically agree with my tastes. Objectivity is an illusion in something as subjective as pipe smoking. The combination of tobacco moisture, smoking cadence, lighting source, personal diet, the pipe, phases of the moon,,,,fuggedaboutit....
I generally take notes when trying a new blend. If my notes have much in common with those of a tr reviewer I’ll keep an eye on him/her.
Edit- The reason scores don’t matter to me is because it’s littered with reviews that lack due diligence and/or are knee jerk reactions in either direction.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
And you have to watch for blends with only a few ratings that get slammed by people that don't seem to know what they're talking about.

tabakpfeife

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2019
I tend to look at the average, and then go to JimInks or Pipestud for details. I think, though, that these average scores skew up. Tobacco is expensive, and we tend to buy things we know, or think we'd like. Therefore we, not surprisingly, give higher scores to tobacco that we have predetermined we would like. The average will be higher. It would be more accurate if we tried tobacco at random and assigned scores accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.