Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here at PipesMagazine.com, we strive to educate and inform pipe & tobacco hobbyists, but we also have a mandate to entertain. I think you'll see what I mean when you read Kyle Weiss' report on sub-cultures within a sub-culture - millennials & hipsters - contained in his mouth-watering review of Cornell & Diehl's "The Beast".
Check it out -

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/cornell-diehl-the-beast/

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Millennial and Hipster are the most overused terms today. I could do without the entire bumbling first half of the article that shows he knows nothing about those two subjects. That part was more annoying than entertaining. The "LOL Millennials" attitude is what drives a lot of young people away from the hobby. That being said, the actual review of the tobacco is quite good.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Good insights on this delicious blend. Glad to see it getting the detailed inspection it deserves!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, okay, you've run headlong into an old coot with an editor's pencil, and I apologize. I'd like the cold specs up top -- constituent leafs in order of proportion, any known flavorings, cut, moisture, strength, taste, room note, and so on, before the more feature-like rap on more general topics, then wind back to the discussion of intricacies of the blend. I know people don't always want a newspaper lead, but not everyone is going to read the whole piece. I'll come back and spend some time with this I think, but that's my suggestion.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I'm not sure I can agree with the reviewers total take on this. I know everyone likes something different, or tastes things differently. Here though, I find that The Beast is a great blend, and I stuffed it in my pipe right out of the tin (or jar) with no drying time. It burned just fine for me, and I loved the flavors I found as I smoked it. I did try drying it, but I it lost some of the richness and punch of the blend. Now granted, this is just my opinion, but I really liked this! Sorry I only bought one tin.

kyleweiss

Lurker
Feb 12, 2016
Reno, NV
www.pipesmagazine.com
I admit, I bought a third tin. I'm going to stash it for a while, let it settle in the depths of the pathetic disarray of the cabinet I call the "cellar."
By far the moistest of tobaccos I've dove into to date--I had a heck of a time getting it to keep lit right out of the tin. One thing I should mention, I live in one of the driest parts of the US of A. I've been involved with many discussions about relative environmental conditions versus tobacco enjoyment, and I've found that dry bastards (in both scope and value) such as myself enjoy and find a bit more performance in drier tobacco. My tastes are skewed when I got to more humid places to smoke--and I find I have to change my game and approach a little. Nonetheless, I call 'em as I see 'em, if it's of use to someone, cool. If not, c'est la vie (...which is French for "yolo," I think...heh).
Thanks, guys.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
In an 18 paragraph review there is one sentence that relates to the smoking of the tobacco.

Flavors remained slightly spicy, the sweetness was a distant graham cracker whiff, with perhaps the dark-fired Kentucky leading the bulk of the experience to a warm, woody (think pimento wood again, ala Jamaican jerk seasoning) meatiness.
The remainder is meaningless noise in the context of a review. I think these articles would benefit from a change in title from "tobacco review" to "musings on tobacco", which is more in keeping with what is written. Kyle is capable of writing cohesive reviews, as is evident in his "I just smoked x" series on another board. These read more like advertorial, which is ok in my book so long as it is not in the guise of an objective review.

kyleweiss

Lurker
Feb 12, 2016
Reno, NV
www.pipesmagazine.com
Correction: I have now another (second, unopened) tin of The Beast. I was nearly made fun of by the shop staff for being a hypocritical hipster. The stuff's good. Maybe being a limited run they'll be worth something one day? (...joking, no one would do a thing like that...) :P

Status
Not open for further replies.