PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc532c

Lurker
Feb 15, 2019
Can anyone recommend a good tobacco at a "reasonable" price?
And while you're at it, if you can tell me what you like about the brand and the general cost, your name will be writ large in the self-help books of my children's children.
Thanks in advance,

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Define 'reasonable'. Factors such as location, income, quality of the product, among others impact expenditure.
Simplest answer: buy an OTC or buy Lane's blends in bulk. Assuming you're in the US.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Well that depends. If you're talking about bulk versus tin, your value will almost always be better in bulk buys versus tin buys as you're not paying for the additional packaging. As always, you get what you pay for, so typically better tobaccos can cost you a little more. Then it also depends on what your looking for. Do you want English, Virginia, Balkan, Burly, aromatics?
I would highly recommend you to use the tobacco locator on Smoking Pipes website. You can use it to narrow down what you're looking for by family, blender, cut, components, tin/bulk and then you can sort it by price low to high and pick out things you might want. From just the prompt I could throw out any number of blends that are on the "reasonable" price side, but there's no grantee you'll like what I suggest.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Grand Croupier Has some bargain bulk blends, like ~$15 per pound. “Boneyard” gets good reviews, but it’s a mystery mix of various left-over English blends from what I’ve read.
I put up a thread asking about it but since I didn’t get any responses I’m guessing it’s relatively unheard of / no one has sampled it. I’m going to grab a 4oz sample with my next order from SPC.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
What do you like to smoke? And, as Olkofri asked, what is "reasonable"?
Here's some of my faves, and prices at P&C.

Lane Ready Rubbed is a top notch burley, and is $5.23 for a 1.5 oz pouch.

For a straight Virginia flake, Sutliff Virginia Slices is excellent, and 2 ounces would cost you $5.

PS Natural Dutch Cavendish is a very nice all day sort of smoke, and 2 ounces is $4.44.

If you want a latakia blend, PS Proper English is a good choice, and will set you back $5.12 for 2 oz.

All of these are regulars in my rotation.
Lane, Sutliff, and Stokkebye all have loads of aros, if that's what floats your boat. I don't smoke those, so I will not recommend any.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Can't go wrong with Stokkebye. They have a little bit of everything, and its great stuff. Their Luxury Navy Flake is a favorite all day Virginia flake, and their Turkish Blend is right tasty too. Between $30-45 per pound, so easy on the wallet.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
For less than 20 bucks you can get a pound of Picayune from D&R, and another of their double toasted burley and mix em.

(that's each, on the price, to be clear)

Nothing fancy, but great quality, taste and value. The entire line is worth a look-see.

juliatom543

Lurker
Mar 2, 2019
I recommend you to buy E-cigarettes. Because it is tobacco and also healthy to use. You can get one from ECig-City Coupons. there is a huge collection of E-cigarette and vape. you can easily find one at an affordable price.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I recommend you to buy E-cigarettes. Because it is tobacco and also healthy to use. You can get one from ECig-City Coupons. there is a huge collection of E-cigarette and vape. you can easily find one at an affordable price.
HUH???
I’m thinking he/she is asking advice on a pipe forum for a reason...

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
If my son attends Harvard Medical, I'd be happy smoking these blends the rest of my days.
Drexel VIII

Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman

Airlift Blend No. 5

Daughters & Ryan AB Rimboché
YMMV

juliatom543

Lurker
Mar 2, 2019
HUH???
I’m thinking he/she is asking advice on a pipe forum for a reason...
Well, I know that! but I thought that recommendation for e-cig may be useful for him.

Because from the comment it is clear that he wanted to gift pipe to someone. That's why I mentioned it.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Because from the comment it is clear that he wanted to gift pipe to someone. That's why I mentioned it.
8O
How is it clear? He's asking where to get good tobacco at a reasonable price. He never even mentioned a pipe.
And even if he did, vaping is nothing like pipe smoking.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
+1 for Lane and Stokkebye. Their bulk prices are quite reasonable, even though I know that’s subjective. Between those two brands I’d be shocked if you didn’t find 2 or 3 blends that you very much enjoy. You can’t go wrong trying an English, a Virginia or VaPer, and maybe an aromatic that sounds tasty to you. And speaking of bulk, Gawith Hoggarth have some downright excellent bulk blends but they are frequently out of stock, and seem to be up closer to normal retail tin prices like $10 per 2 oz. or thereabouts.

bogfire

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2019
Hi, I am in Nova Scotia Canada. Pipe tobacco is approx 35 to 40 dollars a pouch. I ordered online from Smoking Pipes and with the duy it cost me over a hundred dollars. What do folks in my situation do?

Status
Not open for further replies.