Tobacco Recommendations for Cigarette Smoker?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I know you've gotten ton of feedback on which tobacco to get her given that she is a cigarette smoker. But, may I suggest this Virginia Flake . It isn't cased or topped and is going to be extremely close to the American Spirit she is smoking now...I should know, I smoke AS sometimes too when I get into hay baling and I have to go 16 to 18 hours a day for several days putting up hay and a pipe is too inconvenient to use. My son is the one that smokes the AS's regularly (not loose though), but I bum off of him when he's helping me out. Not a ton of nicotine in it just like the AS and tastes very similar to it.
Thank you for this suggestion. I'm a big flake fan myself, but I'm wondering if a simpler ribbon cut might be the way to go for someone who is very active and doesn't want the fuss of rubbing out a flake while working on rebuilding a deck. She of course could stuff and fold, but probably not the best way to start with pipesmoking. Or am I wrong?

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Thank you for this suggestion. I'm a big flake fan myself, but I'm wondering if a simpler ribbon cut might be the way to go for someone who is very active and doesn't want the fuss of rubbing out a flake while working on rebuilding a deck. She of course could stuff and fold, but probably not the best way to start with pipesmoking. Or am I wrong?
Then go with this Bright va ribbon . I smoke a ton of this stuff. Again, no casing or topping but is a little sweeter I think because it is a ribbon versus a flake. It does burn fast though, but it is also very cheap.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Grab a tin of Escudo and Capstan Blue Flake. Go online and learn about the different ways to prepare a flack or coin. If she likes these you are off and runnig.
Dang it gents! You are supposed to be helping me help her! Not enticing me to buy more tobacco for myself! I'm just finishing off my first tin of Escudo, and I'm looking at ordering some Capstan. I'm wavering between blue and yellow. I liked the stronger flavor of Escudo over OGS, so I'm thinking of the blue, unless you think I'm off.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Really, for me, it was convenient to smoke cigarettes when I wasn’t in a situation where I could smoke cigars or a pipe. Now that we live in a world where you can’t smoke anything around anyone in public, if I still worked I would probably use Zyn or just wear a nicotine patch

Yep, I can smoke in my office too. We are part the lucy few. That really helps me choose my pipe over cigarettes.

The inconvenience of pipe smoking will push you back toward the cigarettes. The world isn't set up for non stop smoking all day.. like it once was. Back in the 90s my dad ran an insurance office, back then everybody had some kind of smoke going, including pipes and cigars.

It takes some time to get what you want out of a pipe. Cigarettes are instant relief, its hard to find time for an hour or more to smoke a pipe.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
She has to want to stop cigarettes. Otherwise, it won't work. I smoked cigarettes for about 35 yrs. I was sick of it, but still loved it at the same time. I still get a pack once in a long while. One thing that slowed me down was vape. The inhale part was what helped me. Pipe smoking was mainly due to the fact I missed tobacco. And since vapes were sweet, I liked the sweetness of pipe tobacco. I would agree with suggestions on mild English blends.

Blembob

Lurker
May 17, 2020
Ontario, Canada
She has to want to stop cigarettes. Otherwise, it won't work. I smoked cigarettes for about 35 yrs. I was sick of it, but still loved it at the same time. I still get a pack once in a long while. One thing that slowed me down was vape. The inhale part was what helped me. Pipe smoking was mainly due to the fact I missed tobacco. And since vapes were sweet, I liked the sweetness of pipe tobacco. I would agree with suggestions on mild English blends.
I was looking for a post like this before I made my own. Tobacco in general I've loved since I smoked my first cigarette I have been an avid user of everything from snuff to chew and cigarettes were unfortunately the most convenient way to enjoy the herb (except that halloween when I got alot of people into Fribourg and Treyers carotte snuff... but I digress)
Vaping is what helped me kock the habit, its convienant, its popular enough you don't get looks and comments and the such.
And now with all the flavors you can customise to your taste its a no brainer to switch. But you miss the smoke, vaper is fake manufactured flavor, the smoke, well, it speaks for itself its real. So vaping allowed me to really appreciate my smoking, Im still transferring over and I can still get a fix by not inhaling and by exercising candense with my vape I've been smoking my pipe much better, and with all the free time available much longer... Happy smoking.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I was looking for a post like this before I made my own. Tobacco in general I've loved since I smoked my first cigarette I have been an avid user of everything from snuff to chew and cigarettes were unfortunately the most convenient way to enjoy the herb (except that halloween when I got alot of people into Fribourg and Treyers carotte snuff... but I digress)
Vaping is what helped me kock the habit, its convienant, its popular enough you don't get looks and comments and the such.
And now with all the flavors you can customise to your taste its a no brainer to switch. But you miss the smoke, vaper is fake manufactured flavor, the smoke, well, it speaks for itself its real. So vaping allowed me to really appreciate my smoking, Im still transferring over and I can still get a fix by not inhaling and by exercising candense with my vape I've been smoking my pipe much better, and with all the free time available much longer... Happy smoking.
Thanks for sharing this. The thing is--she's never expressed an interest in quitting cigarettes. She's the kind of person who nurses a roll your own cigarette for an hour or two, relighting it between baiting up a hook or oiling up her chain saw. It's more of a constant companion for her than a two pack a day habit, if that makes sense. So, I'm not trying to convince her to quit--rather, to try an additional form of tobacco that she enjoyed maybe 30 years ago, so that we can share this together. If she doesn't like it, no big deal at all--the cost of one cob pipe and I'll just have to smoke up all the samples!

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Just smoked my first bowl of D&R Ryback in a Country Gentleman cob. I like it and I can see how others have compared it to cigarette tobacco. The nic kick for me is medium to strong, but closer to medium. Comparable to Old Joe Krantz regarding strength. I do, however, have a high tolerance for nicotine. I like the sweetness I got on the first half of the bowl. Smoked to the bottom and nothing but white ash and no dottle. I packed it very tight and blew thru the stem to add some moisture, but to be honest I didn't need to. The tobacco came somewhat moist from the tub when I opened it. I transferred the entire contents of the tub to mason jars after opening. I highly recommend Ryback to those cigarette smokers who wish to switch over to a pipe. Thanks to those who recommended Ryback.