Tobacco Question: Peterson's Dunhill English Blends Seem Sweet; Hal O The Wynd Seems "English"

SmokingPipes.com Updates

120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Our individual palates are so unique that certain nuances play out differently from person to person. I consistently find Rattray blends to be a bit sweeter than Dunhill/Peterson. I’m working through recent tins of both EMP and Accountant’s Mixture now, and just finished working through tins of Standard Mixture and 7 Reserve and this profile held true - the Rattray were a bit sweeter to me.

Ken Johnson

Lurker
Jul 2, 2020
Here are a couple of articles that I wrote that may help:

https://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe...-and-latakia-blends-one-and-the-same/[/QUOTE]
[/
The processing of Latakia style tobaccos (originally from Syria and Cyprus but I'm told now also from the Aegean coast of western Turkey and Lebanon) does not take place in any of the countries comprising the Balkan peninsula, so logically you should not have to include Latakia to declare the product a Balkan blend.
A Balkan blend should contain inter alia Oriental tobaccos from the Balkan peninsula.
IMHO the term English tobacco/blend/mixture just adds confusion. Far easier surely just to declare the component tobaccos on the tin and let the customer decide.
And to get really pedantic, any blend which contains Latakia might reasonably be described as an aromatic. Latakia is a process just as Cavendish is a process, and in the case of Latakia the process adds smoke and flavours from various types of wood, to the Smyrna/Izmir (in the case of Cyprian) and Shekk el Bint (in the case of Syrian) varietals.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
Here are a couple of articles that I wrote that may help:

Thank you @python i'll have to digest these!

Reactions: ofafeather

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Something to recall, too, is that terms like "English", "Scottish", "Balkan" are all simply American marketing terms that have no precise definition.
"Balkan", for example, started being used to describe blends in an effort to grab some of the glory from the old Balkan Sobranie OSM. These days, the term is tossed all over the place, especially in forums. I personally try to stay away from those terms, since they are basically meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.